No announcement yet.

Best bang for your buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that will make me want to start doing my own. Plus that's the same price per round as some of the steel cased stuff I've seen. I'm going to assume your rifle stays cleaner when you reload your own since you're using brass, correct?

Comment

Its just as dirty as factory stuff imho.

The reason steel case can be dirty is it doesnt expand as much as brass.

With 23.2gr of h335 it was dirty as hell. The case was not expanding anuf. Now that its sealing the chamber it stays decently clean.

Comment

Sounds like I need to get my ass to the range with a few different types of ammo and see what I think and then pick up reloading sometime in the next couple of months.

Comment

Originally posted by 94StangFiveO View Post
          Sounds like I need to get my ass to the range with a few different types of ammo and see what I think and then pick up reloading sometime in the next couple of months.
          If you want to learn reloading I could certainly give you a little hands on, you're not too far from me.

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
          I would also like to add.

It cost me .25c a round to make these. Our component prices are high as hell around here too.
          That's not bad at all. Currently I'm loading 75gr BTHP for 19 cents each, and 55gr plinkers for 14 cents. I really don't see how I could get my costs less unless I convince some guys to get in on a large bulk group purchase.
          Last edited by CJ; 01-17-2011, 09:33 PM.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
            For the premium you pay for just 1000 rds retail you could be reloading, you should look into it.
            CJ I would actually like to go into reloading but I don't think I shoot enough. Don't you have to shoot a certain amount minimum for it to make sense?

Also where do you reload? In the house? Over carpet? I used to reload when I was a teenager way back in the dinosaur days and I did it in the garage. I would not want to do that now. Too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter.

Thanks,
            Mike
            2011 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Inaugural Edition
            2011 Harley Davidson F150
            2003 Harley Davidson Road King 100th Anniversary Edition

Comment

Originally posted by TexasVert View Post
              CJ I would actually like to go into reloading but I don't think I shoot enough. Don't you have to shoot a certain amount minimum for it to make sense?

Also where do you reload? In the house? Over carpet? I used to reload when I was a teenager way back in the dinosaur days and I did it in the garage. I would not want to do that now. Too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter.

Thanks,
              Mike
              In my gun room, on a hardwood floor. It's not too large, about 12x12 - I keep a shop vac in there to clean up any loose powder or primers. You can buy cheap rubber interlocking tiles to put over a particular surface as to not damage it if you see fit. I do not reload in the garage for several ones, one of which being humidity changes, and rust on my equipment. You don't have to shoot much to justify reloading. You can spend as little or as much as you like depending on your budget and shooting habits. In some cases, you can come out on top by just reloading a few hundred rounds of a particular caliber. For example, you can find used single stage presses for around $25, a few lbs of general use pistol powder for ~$20, a die set for $20, some primers for $25, and projectiles for $10 and get to reloading your collected cases for $100. Reload a few hundred .44 mag cases and you've just about broken even.

The blue blinds are not for sale, in case you're wondering.
              Last edited by CJ; 01-17-2011, 10:37 PM.
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

If you want to learn reloading I could certainly give you a little hands on, you're not too far me.
                Yeah, I'd definitely be interested in that. Need the damn gun to get here first though so I can actually shoot something.

Comment

In my gun room, on a hardwood floor. It's not too large, about 12x12 - I keep a shop vac in there to clean up any loose powder or primers. You can buy cheap rubber interlocking tiles to put over a particular surface as to not damage it if you see fit. I do not reload in the garage for several ones, one of which being humidity changes, and rust on my equipment. You don't have to shoot much to justify reloading. You can spend as little or as much as you like depending on your budget and shooting habits. In some cases, you can come out on top by just reloading a few hundred rounds of a particular caliber. For example, you can find used single stage presses for around $25, a few lbs of general use pistol powder for ~$20, a die set for $20, some primers for $25, and projectiles for $10 and get to reloading your collected cases for $100. Reload a few hundred .44 mag cases and you've just about broken even.

The blue blinds are not for sale, in case you're wondering.

I am still thinking about it. I know I wont do it on the cheap. I will probably get the Dillion 550 and all the good stuff. Probably more of a hobby/fun than to save money. I have an office with my desk and my gun safe and my wife has a craft table in here that she does not use. If I can just run her off and complete the man cave then I think I will have enough room.

Damn I was really jonesing those blinds. They are really styling with the yellow walls!!
                  2011 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Inaugural Edition
                  2011 Harley Davidson F150
                  2003 Harley Davidson Road King 100th Anniversary Edition

Comment

I cant help but laugh at the blue blinds.

My cheap pos lee classic turret works just fine. Maybe i should get red blinds

Comment

Working...
                    X