AR15 guys, build me a 6.8spc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AR15 guys, build me a 6.8spc

Thinking about building a 6.8spc AR15. Never built an AR15 so I thought I would get some suggestions from y'all. Will be used for fun and hog hunting in low light wooded areas. I am a bare bones type of guy and this thing will be scratched on a normal basis so I do not care how the thing looks.

Initial thoughts:
    M4 style with collapsable stock
    Either 4X or 3x9 scope
    16" chrome lined barrel
    May need rail for light

WTF? Build your own! You might do better with a 7.62x39 AR. The ammo's a lot cheaper, and gets just as much done.

model1sales.com
    del-ton.com
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

It's something a little different and has slightly better range.

Comment

6.8 is great. I would go with a free float handguard with rails for better accuracy and a place for a laser and a light; also a low profile gas block since you are going with a scope......may want to think about a gripod for longer shots since 6.8spc is good at longer ranges.

Comment

I'm with Yale, 7.62 and choose your own pieces. That's what I'm doing. You may get more range with a 6.8, but when will you honestly need it? If you're expecting that type of shooting, you'd be better off building a dedicated distance setup.

Comment

7.62x39 ammo tends to burn very dirty, especially the cheap stuff, and that kills an AR-15 unless you go with a gas piston setup (more$$$$). I have thought about building this caliber several times but stopped because of this......

Comment

My choice for a great hog gun is the .300 Fireball, but you have to reload this cartridge. Cases can be made from 5.56/.223. No problem taking a deer if the season is open.....

Comment

6.5 Grendel should also be considered. I can't believe I forgot about it. Really, 6.8's a good round, it's just that it wants handloading at the prices of factory loadings.
                ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

I was considered a 6.5G, but the guy who built one recently on here said the ammo can be scarce, so it sounds like a similar problem. Haven't personally looked for it, just word of mouth.

Comment

Many to choose from, build whatever you want.

264 LBC-AR, 6.5 Grendel, 6x35, 6mmBR, 6x45, 6mm PPC, 6mm Whisper, 6.5 Whisper, 6.8 SPC, 300 Blackout, 30 Remington AR, .30 Walker, 300 Whisper, 300 Fireball, 338 Whisper, 7mmBR, 7mm Whisper, 7mm Fireball, .450 Bushmaster, .458 SOCOM, .499 L-W, & .50 Beowulf.

Good thing about 6.8spc is you can buy ammo locally.
                    You remember the stories John use to tell us about the the three chinamen playing Fantan? This guy runs up to them and says, "Hey, the world's coming to an end!" and the first one says, "Well, I best go to the mission and pray," and the second one says, "Well, hell, I'm gonna go and buy me a case of Mezcal and six whores," and the third one says "Well, I'm gonna finish the game." I shall finish the game, Doc.

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                      I was considered a 6.5G, but the guy who built one recently on here said the ammo can be scarce, so it sounds like a similar problem. Haven't personally looked for it, just word of mouth.
                      I think that was me. Great round though and Hornady is now producing it so it should get better.
                      You remember the stories John use to tell us about the the three chinamen playing Fantan? This guy runs up to them and says, "Hey, the world's coming to an end!" and the first one says, "Well, I best go to the mission and pray," and the second one says, "Well, hell, I'm gonna go and buy me a case of Mezcal and six whores," and the third one says "Well, I'm gonna finish the game." I shall finish the game, Doc.

Comment

Originally posted by DieselSmoke View Post
                        I think that was me. Great round though and Hornady is now producing it so it should get better.
                        Yessir, and it's good to hear it's becoming more common.

I still want to replicate your setup.

Comment

Yessir, and it's good to hear it's becoming more common.

I still want to replicate your setup.
                          My 6.5G and .50 Beowulf forum shut down a few months ago to combine into a new one.

A good place to learn about the diffrent calibers for the AR. It's a brand new site but its starting to take off.

Comment

Originally posted by DieselSmoke View Post
                            My 6.5G and .50 Beowulf forum shut down a few months ago to combine into a new one.

A good place to learn about the diffrent calibers for the AR. It's a brand new site but its starting to take off.
                            You use the same name there? For the referral.

Comment

You use the same name there? For the referral.
                              It's only been up for 2 months and I haven't registered yet. Just been reading and seeing where it goes.

Comment

Working...
                              X