Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/bbcode/url.php on line 2 Why veterans miss war - DFW Mustangs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why veterans miss war

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why veterans miss war

Civilians don't miss war. But soldiers often do. Journalist Sebastian Junger shares his experience embedded with American soldiers at Restrepo, an outpost in Afghanistan's Korengal Valley that saw heavy combat. Giving a look at the "altered state of mind" that comes with war, he shows how combat gives soldiers an intense experience of connection. In the end, could it actually be "the opposite of war" that soldiers miss? 

In the interest of the upcoming Memorial Day, despite the heavy costs, I found this very insightful.
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

There is a lot of truth to that for sure.
    Originally posted by MR EDD
    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Tag for me to check out later.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
        Tag for me to check out later.
        You'll appreciate it I think. Watch Restrepo too if you have not. If you have, it's by the same guy that helped make that flick.

Comment

Restrepo is great. Junger is doing a kick starter for another movie as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
            You'll appreciate it I think. Watch Restrepo too if you have not. If you have, it's by the same guy that helped make that flick.
            Hornet's Nest is good as well.
            Originally posted by Theodore Roosevelt
            It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming...

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
              It was interesting. I can't bring myself to watch Restrepo anymore. Shit, it took me 2 years before I could bring myself to watch any kind of war movie.

Comment

Good watch, lots of truth to it
                If you can read this thank a teacher. If it's in English thank a soldier.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
                  It was interesting. I can't bring myself to watch Restrepo anymore. Shit, it took me 2 years before I could bring myself to watch any kind of war movie.
                  Understood.

Originally posted by Probie View Post
                  Hornet's Nest is good as well.
                  I'll try to check it out, good to know. Thank you.

Comment

Junger has another doc that's a much longer version of that TED Talk (1.5 hr,doc). Just watched it this morning and its pretty damn good - not combat focused though. Its about coming home.

Last edited by Strychnine; 03-18-2018, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X