Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finnish navy drops depth charges onto suspected submarine in its territorial waters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finnish navy drops depth charges onto suspected submarine in its territorial waters

HELSINKI – The Finnish military says it has dropped depth charges onto a suspected submarine in the sea outside Helsinki after twice detecting the presence of a foreign object in the area.

The navy's maritime operations chief, Olavi Jantunen, says they could not identify the "underwater object" but had begun an investigation, which could take weeks.

Parliamentary defense committee spokesman Jussi Niinisto said Tuesday that the military occasionally detects such activity but described the use of depth charges as unusual.

The intrusion comes in the wake of a lengthy hunt for a foreign submarine in Swedish waters in October following increased military activity in the Baltic Sea region.

Swedish officials never blamed any country though most defense analysts said Russia was a likely culprit.
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

---Bunch of Russian limbs float to the surface---
    WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post

---Bunch of Russian limbs float to the surface---
      Or Chinese; they have been known to coast around and play games with others...

Comment

They dropped firecracker charges. Ones that will not cause any damage but will let the people on the receiving end know that they were noticed.
        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
          They dropped firecracker charges. Ones that will not cause any damage but will let the people on the receiving end know that they were noticed.
          Riioght, because the same thing couldn't be accomplished with active sonar and/or hydophones.
          Trust me on this. If they took the leap to drop depth charges, they were full-on fuck-yo-submarine ones.
          "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
            Riioght, because the same thing couldn't be accomplished with active sonar and/or hydophones.
            Trust me on this. If they took the leap to drop depth charges, they were full-on fuck-yo-submarine ones.
            The news in Finland showed the charges being used and they interviewed a representative from their Navy who said what I just relayed to you. The charges were no larger then a 5lbs coffee can and their intended use is for "sounding".
            Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Svo invented depth charges.
              Ded

Comment

Oh, well then they were definitely telling the truth.
                Look, we were weapons free with three different platforms to launch torpedos against an unidentified submerged contact in the Mediterranean. When it finally identified itself (a friendly nation), it was 5-10 minutes from being sent to the bottom.
                My point is, the news doesn't hear about a lot of what goes on underwater, and what they do hear about is tailored carefully.
                The Finnish news story does not hold water. Pun intended.
                "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by VaderTT View Post
                  Svo invented depth charges.
                  lol. SVO855 poops depth charges.

Comment

I'm thinking they were the real deal. They wouldn't start something they couldn't finnish.

Comment

Oh, well then they were definitely telling the truth.
                      Look, we were weapons free with three different platforms to launch torpedos against an unidentified submerged contact in the Mediterranean. When it finally identified itself (a friendly nation), it was 5-10 minutes from being sent to the bottom.
                      My point is, the news doesn't hear about a lot of what goes on underwater, and what they do hear about is tailored carefully.
                      The Finnish news story does not hold water. Pun intended.
                      I am sure that they would have dropped the real deal charges IF they had them but they literally do not have any to drop. I have been following Finland's domestic dispute about funding their military for about the past year and from what I have seen they pretty much sold or threw away ALL of their ASW gear 10 years ago. The cupboard is bare.

Finland’s dropping of depth charges off of its coast comes just weeks after it signed a joint defence agreement with its Nordic neighbours directed at Russia.

Last edited by svauto-erotic855; 05-01-2015, 09:03 PM.

Comment

I am sure that they would have dropped the real deal charges IF they had them but they literally do not have any to drop. I have been following Finland's domestic dispute about funding their military for about the past year and from what I have seen they pretty much sold or threw away ALL of their ASW gear 10 years ago. The cupboard is bare.

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/201.../finl-a30.html
                        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

I've been following Finland since the 1990's , what SVO is saying is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Baba Ganoush View Post
                            I'm thinking they were the real deal. They wouldn't start something they couldn't finnish.
                            Watt ewe did their, eye sea it.

Finland’s dropping of depth charges off of its coast comes just weeks after it signed a joint defence agreement with its Nordic neighbours directed at Russia.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/nation...cted-submarine
                            So, the Finns are fucking stupid. Poke the bear with a tiny stick, what could possibly go wrong with that? I'd think that whoever the sub belonged to *cough*Putin*cough* would have more respect for them if they had just blown it up.
                            Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
                            I've been following Finland since the 1990's , what SVO is saying is true.
                            One-upper!

Again, if the story (as reported) is true, the the Finnish are either incredibly brave or incredibly stupid. They do have a history of throwing up the old middle finger to the Rooskies though.

Comment

The Finnish are either incredibly brave or incredibly stupid. They do have a history of throwing up the old middle finger to the Rooskies though.
                              Simo Hayha approves.
                              "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Working...
                              X