First vette...nothing special and terrible photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First vette...nothing special and terrible photos

Just picked up my first vette. Pretty cool car. I thought I was going to do a quick flip but man I really enjoyed driving the car. Huge step up from all the poor man mustangs I have owned. Pretty simple car but I have always loved FRC's and got a good price on it.

55k miles with only a few little mods like axleback, lowered, and a few supspension pieces.

20171217_163409 by Andy Krzanowsky, on Flickr

20171217_163521 by Andy Krzanowsky, on Flickr

I've always loved the C5 FRC.

Comment

frc ftw
      Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Cool, have you purchased your new wardrobe yet?

Comment

jacket and dockers are in the mail... will go well with my all white new balances

Comment

Love C5s! Most fun cars I ever owned. Parts are cheap, they are easy to mod, handle great and get killer mileage.
            Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Aw yeah. You're part of the Vette set now baby!!

bad ass FRC, congrads!
              When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

cool car

Comment

I love the C5 vettes, but man I have terrible luck with any corvette. I will tell you this, if something goes wrong with the active handling, traction control, or suspension, you're fucked because no one makes parts for it.

My damned steering wheel position sensor went bad on my 00 and I looked absolutely everywhere for a new one, couldn't find one.

If the steering wheel lock hasn't been bypassed already, DO IT. That thing is beyond annoying and can actually get stuck. It's not hard, nor expensive to bypass and can save you getting stranded.

Last but not least, go lock the car up, then walk up and start pushing on the door and shaking the car, see if the doors unlock and the trunk pops.

Comment

True, pre 02 cars have some interesting issues. But all parts are available. The FRG did not come with FX45 suspension, it was Z51 so there is nothing to worry bout there. ABS, Traction and Handling are also non issues. If its a sensor, its the wheel bearing, just have to scan to see which one. If Stability, ABS and Traction are all out it can be a wheel sensor or the ABS module itself. Quick scan will show which. If its the module its only $150 repair and lifetime warranty. Very easy to do and you can still use the car with module out for rebuild and even that is fast. If you mail it Monday priority you will have it back by Saturday.
                    Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Thanks guys. Yes currently the codes are for stability, ABS, and traction are all flashiing on the DIC. I was told that it was the EBCM and I had no plans to fix it. My understanding was it's a very common issue and previous owner has cleaned all the grounds.
                      Last edited by akfodysvn; 12-18-2017, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LaserSVT View Post
                        True, pre 02 cars have some interesting issues. But all parts are available. The FRG did not come with FX45 suspension, it was Z51 so there is nothing to worry bout there. ABS, Traction and Handling are also non issues. If its a sensor, its the wheel bearing, just have to scan to see which one. If Stability, ABS and Traction are all out it can be a wheel sensor or the ABS module itself. Quick scan will show which. If its the module its only $150 repair and lifetime warranty. Very easy to do and you can still use the car with module out for rebuild and even that is fast. If you mail it Monday priority you will have it back by Saturday.
                        Nope, I've already been down this road. The FX45 has options, I just made a couple of bypasses for mine to fool the computer.

The steering wheel position sensor can't be found, they make them for the 01-02 cars, but 97-00 aren't made, you can search high and low and will never find one. If you can find a used one, it's in the $400 range. Ask me how I know.

The EBTCM also can't be found or rebuilt. Again, ask me how I know. The 01-02 can be, but the 97-00 is a no go.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                          I love the C5 vettes, but man I have terrible luck with any corvette. I will tell you this, if something goes wrong with the active handling, traction control, or suspension, you're fucked because no one makes parts for it.

My damned steering wheel position sensor went bad on my 00 and I looked absolutely everywhere for a new one, couldn't find one.

If the steering wheel lock hasn't been bypassed already, DO IT. That thing is beyond annoying and can actually get stuck. It's not hard, nor expensive to bypass and can save you getting stranded.

Last but not least, go lock the car up, then walk up and start pushing on the door and shaking the car, see if the doors unlock and the trunk pops.
                          Any tips/links on the steering wheel lock? How to tell if its been fixed?

I too have heard the 99 EBCMs can not be rebuilt.

Will try to the locking problem... never going to be an issue as it will never be left outside overnight but good to know. I did notice that when i left the car unlocked that when I came back and opened the passenger door (unlocked) that it set the alarm off. I found that weird.

I need to source a second key and a couple of FOBs

Comment

Its amazing how many tiny hidden changes there were from 97 to 04. Like the 03-04 has the easiest to mod fuel system.

Comment

I like pretty much all Vette's, but they (C5's and 6's especially) are amazing drivelines surrounded by a crappy plastic Chevy.

The dash on most is lit up like a Christmas tree, you'd think the thing was wired by Lucas Electrics. Full of bad grounds, crap electrical components. parking lights that just don't want to stay working/melting housings... it just goes on and on and on.

Still wouldn't mind having one as a toy though.

Comment

Working...
                              X