Any aircraft dispatchers on here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cobraman View Post
    I don't have an answer for you, but it seems like something you should have found out before you quit your day job and paid for school....
    Well, legally I'm good. There are no federal regulations to prohibit employment. Unfortunately, you can't find a straight forward answer on hiring policies within the airline so you have to ask around. Which I've done and should be good to go. Just asking here as well.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
      Why not expunge that shit years ago?
      Paid for this about 6 weeks ago and it's in the process. During this process, I found out I apparently signed something when I was 18 that waived my right to expunging the theft. My attorney is still working on it so it may be a moot point.

I'm just having a hard time figuring out what the airline is looking for. Convictions? I'm good. Do they run public data? Then I can get it sealed. Do they run an fbi check, which I have read that they do, what will be there? Just convictions? Or a persons entire arrest record ? Do they ask "have you ever been arrested" or do they ask "have you ever been convicted"

This is where I am not clear.

Comment

Originally posted by likeitfast55 View Post
        school --- atp? I teach there part time.
        ifod

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
          If you haven't killed yourself first..
          You are probably thinking ATC. Dispatcher is an amazing job that you don't ever leave.

Comment

FAR 121.533 states that both the airline captain and the dispatcher are held jointly responsible for the safety of the flight. In cooperation with the pilot, the flight dispatcher furnishes a flight plan that enables the aircraft to arrive at its destination on schedule with the maximum payload and the least operating cost. The flight dispatcher considers en route and destination weather, winds aloft, alternate destinations, fuel required, altitudes, and traffic flow.
            There's an app for that, humans no longer needed.

Comment

Originally posted by chronical View Post
              You are probably thinking ATC. Dispatcher is an amazing job that you don't ever leave.
              You're probably right, didn't know there was a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
                You're probably right, didn't know there was a difference.
                Big difference. No way I'd ever want to be an ATC.

Comment

What's the difference?

Comment

Originally posted by jewozzy View Post
                    What's the difference?
                    Easiest way, a dispatcher essentially flies the plane from the ground. Obviously, not physically determine up or down, left and right. But the route, the gas, the weather, etc. all making sure the flight is operationally controlled safely.

An ATC ensures planes don't hit each other. I don't know they number of planes, but ATC is high volume and high stress, especially at a big airport.

A DX can be responsible for 10 flights for example. Flight following on screen and looking out for incoming weather is another part of it. The definition posted a few posts up is the actual definition.

Comment

I work for Southwest, and they do run very thorough background checks. From what I have heard, the dispatch test that SWA gives is much more tough than any school. I have also heard it's good to try and do it for a smaller airlines or airport and then apply for the bigger companies once you have some work experience.

Comment

Originally posted by chronical View Post
                        Easiest way, a dispatcher essentially flies the plane from the ground. Obviously, not physically determine up or down, left and right. But the route, the gas, the weather, etc. all making sure the flight is operationally controlled safely.

An ATC ensures planes don't hit each other. I don't know they number of planes, but ATC is high volume and high stress, especially at a big airport.

A DX can be responsible for 10 flights for example. Flight following on screen and looking out for incoming weather is another part of it. The definition posted a few posts up is the actual definition.
                        Honestly, it doesn't sound fun and working for the legacy carriers is dogshit. So I hope it works out.
                        2006 Civic SI
                        2009 Pilot
                        1988 GT
                        CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

Originally posted by beefed88 View Post
                          Honestly, it doesn't sound fun and working for the legacy carriers is dogshit. So I hope it works out.
                          1) Free travel
                          2) Six figure income
                          3) The most dynamic fast moving industry in the world
                          4) Hold an airman's certificate with cockpit jumpseat ability
                          5) Respect and admiration from within the Aviation community

Yea, no fun to be had there --- move along. Having said that, it is not for everyone. I say this from 28 years at a legacy carrier.

Comment

1) Free travel
                            2) Six figure income

Yea, no fun to be had there --- move along. Having said that, it is not for everyone. I say this from 28 years at a legacy carrier.
                            The reason I said that is unfortunately the legacy carriers will obviously have the most dispatch positions and your points are all valid but do you have any reference for working at another 121 carrier?

Point #3 is an interesting one. I think fast moving layoffs every economic cycle for the legacy carriers.

Also when I get my AA TWU email endorsing HilLary Clinton I have to wonder why I would be part of that union.
                            2006 Civic SI
                            2009 Pilot
                            1988 GT
                            CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

1) Free travel
                              2) Six figure income

Best job in the world

Comment

Originally posted by beefed88 View Post
                                The reason I said that is unfortunately the legacy carriers will obviously have the most dispatch positions and your points are all valid but do you have any reference for working at another 121 carrier?

Point #3 is an interesting one. I think fast moving layoffs every economic cycle for the legacy carriers.

Also when I get my AA TWU email endorsing HilLary Clinton I have to wonder why I would be part of that union.
                                AA is my fourth 121 Air Carrier I have worked for. Unions are not mandatory in a Right to Work state like Texas --- fyi.

Name another fortune 50 company that does not lay-off during a massive downturn.

Comment

Working...
                                X