where can I get calipers milled?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where can I get calipers milled?

I've got a project I'm working on and would like to have a set of brake calipers milled to remove about 0.075" of material around where the caliper mounts to the spindle... any thoughts on a place that could do that? The closer to the Frisco area the better.
    Originally posted by stevo
    Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Honestly, you're probably going to have to look up a local machinist for that kind of job. I'm not sure that's something that you could order in the form of a replacement. Could be wrong.

Comment

For that small of an amount of material that needs to be removed you could do it with a surface plate and sandpaper.
      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by LS1Goat View Post
        Honestly, you're probably going to have to look up a local machinist for that kind of job. I'm not sure that's something that you could order in the form of a replacement. Could be wrong.
        Yes, that's what I'm asking for, machine shop recommendations...

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
          For that small of an amount of material that needs to be removed you could do it with a surface plate and sandpaper.
          Dude taking down .075" is waaaaay more than you're thinking with sandpaper. That's gonna take forever and cost about tree fiddy worth of sand paper.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
            Dude taking down .075" is waaaaay more than you're thinking with sandpaper. That's gonna take forever and cost about tree fiddy worth of sand paper.
            Yeah, that's not on my to-do list... I'd prefer somewhere with a mill that can get it done nice and flat. This is all I need done (on two calipers).

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
              Yeah, that's not on my to-do list... I'd prefer somewhere with a mill that can get it done nice and flat. This is all I need done (on two calipers).

Have you checked craigslist or facebook marketplace?

Maybe the dallas makerspace?

The shops I use are geared more towards industrial customers but I can send you a few names if you end up really needing it.

Comment

It depends on the material which in this case I assume is aluminum, the type of sandpaper you're using, and how easy it is to access the part that needs to be thinned. I bet I could do it in less than 20 minutes.
                Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

It depends on the material which in this case I assume is aluminum, the type of sandpaper you're using, and how easy it is to access the part that needs to be thinned. I bet I could do it in less than 20 minutes.
                  Prove it. I don't care how much practice you have cracking and yanking...taking that much aluminum down with sandpaper...especially on a surface plate.

Go grab a plate of aluminum and sand it down .075"...you'll see that it's way more than you think. Filing may work a little better but it's not gonna be flat for shit.

Comment

You do realize how retarded this is when dealing with a mounting surface like a brake caliper, no?

Comment

Prove it. I don't care how much practice you have cracking and yanking...taking that much aluminum down with sandpaper...especially on a surface plate.

Go grab a plate of aluminum and sand it down .075"...you'll see that it's way more than you think. Filing may work a little better but it's not gonna be flat for shit.
                      I have access to a mill so it doesn't really matter to me. I'll give you a little hint about how I roll. At the first job I ever had that required fabrication my first two assignments were this. I had to get a hunk of metal and by hand make a domino out of it. I then had to make a round ball out of a hunk of metal the size of a golf ball. It took me more than a week and a half and a couple of tries but I managed to pull both off using stones, files, and crocus cloth. Both pieces mic'd to .007 of an inch.

Comment

I’m doubtful but I’d bet you’d look like a one armed man at a Nickelback concert if you could in 20mins.

Comment

Originally posted by 4EyedTurd View Post
                          I’m doubtful but I’d bet you’d look like a one armed man at a Nickelback concert if you could in 20mins.
                          I meant 20 minutes per piece. If you can move the object in a figure 8 motion the material comes off evenly and very quickly. If you can only move it back and forth it comes off unevenly and is quite difficult to do correctly.

Y'all should check out some old fart gunsmiths. I've seen them make new parts by hand very quickly and very accurately using just a file.

Comment

I have access to a mill so it doesn't really matter to me. I'll give you a little hint about how I roll. At the first job I ever had that required fabrication my first two assignments were this. I had to get a hunk of metal and by hand make a domino out of it. I then had to make a round ball out of a hunk of metal the size of a golf ball. It took me more than a week and a half and a couple of tries but I managed to pull both off using stones, files, and crocus cloth. Both pieces mic'd to .007 of an inch.
                            Pics of said domino and round ball?

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
                              Pics of said domino and round ball?
                              That was 31 years ago my friend. Not only do I not have the ball or the Domino I never took a picture of them or even considered taking a picture of them. They were in my toolbox for years though and I guess I should have held on to them but they just kind of disappeared with time.

Comment

Working...
                              X