DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > The Armory

The Armory The definitive firearms forum of DFW Mustangs.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2018, 07:55 PM   #1
soap
I ♥️ 🐄
 
soap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: xbox live
Posts: 4,945
Default competitive shooting?

So I'm at the point to wear regular gun ranges are boring for me now. Do any of you guys shoot competitively and if so what division. I've been looking at IDPA. I'm just kind of looking to be pointed in the right direction of how to get started any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks.
__________________
🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄
soap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:04 PM   #2
Jose
Lifer
 
Jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 48,006
Default

Subscribing.
Jose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:04 AM   #3
svauto-erotic855
I know everything, I'm older than you
VIP Member
 
svauto-erotic855's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,346
Default

I have always loved PPC but I grew up around it and may be a little bit biased.
__________________
Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.
svauto-erotic855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:43 AM   #4
Mike K
Lifer
 
Mike K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sachse, TX
Posts: 1,163
Default

I've been doing some 3gun shooting at North Texas MultiGun (http://northtexasmultigun.com/) down in Cresson, TX and I love it. They do a great job of making each month's match unique. Each match they have a good mix of stages in bays as well as terrain stages. It looks like they invested in a lot of new steel targets, so there has been a lot less resetting this year.

I hear ETTS also hosts 3gun matches and I hear it is only bay shooting, but I haven't gone to one of their events to see for myself.

As far as how to get started, it is easy to get wrapped up in thinking you need to invest in a lot of gear (especially in 3gun). If you meet the minimum requirements, then just go to a match and let everyone know it is your first time and they will take care of you. I did my first match with a single stack 1911, pump shotgun, and a no-frills m4 with a 4 MOA red dot. That match we had one stage with 40 shotgun targets where I had my cargo pockets filled with shotgun shells and another stage with targets out to 600 yards. I didn't finish a single stage because I timed out of every single one, but I didn't get disqualified due to breaking a safety rule and I had fun.
Mike K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 06:25 AM   #5
aggie97
A local track addict!
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: College Station
Posts: 11,963
Default

I hear IDPA is a bit of a pain with rules but have never done one. I have done many USPSA matches and like the local club that puts on events. New shooters get good help. Don't be afraid to ask questions. It is good fun but don't get frustrated when you find out you suck!
aggie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:14 AM   #6
bird_dog0347
Punk Ass Douche
VIP Member
 
bird_dog0347's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Little Elm
Posts: 2,526
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soap View Post
So I'm at the point to wear whereregular gun ranges are boring for me now. Do any of you guys shoot competitively and if so what division. I've been looking at IDPA. I'm just kind of looking to be pointed in the right direction of how to get started any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks.
I've been shooting USPSA since like 2006 I think and IDPA I started in like 2004ish. I shoot USPSA just about every weekend.

For new shooters I recommend an IDPA match or two at first as it's less intimidating. You'll still come in close to last, don't be surprised or disheartened it's just how it goes. There are a lot of options for the IDPA matches, pretty much every weekend if you look for them. Steel matches are also available like every other Wednesday night at Elm Fork. www.practiscore.com is where you'll find most matches.

As for getting started, I know you like Glocks so start with a G17 or G22, an OWB holster (kydex is best) at least a double mag pouch, possible 2x doubles for 4 mags on the belt. And you'll want minimum 5 mags. You'll also need a good belt, glasses, and ear muffs/plugs. I'd recommend going with a G22 for the most flexibility or a G35. If you use .40 cal in IDPA it's a bit more recoil but for USPSA you could shoot Limited division and be able to score major power factor whereas 9mm is minor only outside of Open Division. With a G35 you could shoot in either ESP or SSP in IDPA, and use the same gun in Production or Limited in USPSA. Or get a G34 MOS and have all those same options as well as Carry Optics in USPSA (minor scoring only so no disadvantage except in Limited).

Don't spend a lot of money on anything until you get used to it. The first thing you'll want to do is practice at home in dry fire sessions (daily). Practice your draw a lot, as well as moving from one spot to the other keeping the gun pointed directly downrange with your finger well clear of the trigger. It needs to be second nature to remove your finger from the trigger during draws, movement (unless actively shooting a target on the move), and reloads. Read the rules for whatever you're going to shoot, and understand that no one cares how fast or slow you are, only that you are SAFE, especially for new shooters... gotta build that trust.

Every other Monday there is also an IDPA match at Frisco Gun Club, indoors. Be sure no matter which match you go to you show up early enough to attend the new shooters briefing.

Me personally, I pretty much only shoot USPSA now in Open division. I'll be happy to answer any other questions as well, and if you want to go shoot a match and I can make it I'll buddy up with you and show you the ropes.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo View Post
Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo
bird_dog0347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:01 PM   #7
soap
I ♥️ 🐄
 
soap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: xbox live
Posts: 4,945
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
I've been shooting USPSA since like 2006 I think and IDPA I started in like 2004ish. I shoot USPSA just about every weekend.

For new shooters I recommend an IDPA match or two at first as it's less intimidating. You'll still come in close to last, don't be surprised or disheartened it's just how it goes. There are a lot of options for the IDPA matches, pretty much every weekend if you look for them. Steel matches are also available like every other Wednesday night at Elm Fork. www.practiscore.com is where you'll find most matches.

As for getting started, I know you like Glocks so start with a G17 or G22, an OWB holster (kydex is best) at least a double mag pouch, possible 2x doubles for 4 mags on the belt. And you'll want minimum 5 mags. You'll also need a good belt, glasses, and ear muffs/plugs. I'd recommend going with a G22 for the most flexibility or a G35. If you use .40 cal in IDPA it's a bit more recoil but for USPSA you could shoot Limited division and be able to score major power factor whereas 9mm is minor only outside of Open Division. With a G35 you could shoot in either ESP or SSP in IDPA, and use the same gun in Production or Limited in USPSA. Or get a G34 MOS and have all those same options as well as Carry Optics in USPSA (minor scoring only so no disadvantage except in Limited).

Don't spend a lot of money on anything until you get used to it. The first thing you'll want to do is practice at home in dry fire sessions (daily). Practice your draw a lot, as well as moving from one spot to the other keeping the gun pointed directly downrange with your finger well clear of the trigger. It needs to be second nature to remove your finger from the trigger during draws, movement (unless actively shooting a target on the move), and reloads. Read the rules for whatever you're going to shoot, and understand that no one cares how fast or slow you are, only that you are SAFE, especially for new shooters... gotta build that trust.

Every other Monday there is also an IDPA match at Frisco Gun Club, indoors. Be sure no matter which match you go to you show up early enough to attend the new shooters briefing.

Me personally, I pretty much only shoot USPSA now in Open division. I'll be happy to answer any other questions as well, and if you want to go shoot a match and I can make it I'll buddy up with you and show you the ropes.
Nice. Very helpful. I'm waiting on parts for the G19 build. But have other hand guns including a new Sig mk25. I've been on a Gun buying binge. I've bought 6 hand guns in 6 months. Just bought a Glock 26 yesterday.


But yeah man once I put together some things I should be ready to go. I'll pm you if I have anymore questions. Thanks guys.
__________________
🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄
soap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:10 PM   #8
bird_dog0347
Punk Ass Douche
VIP Member
 
bird_dog0347's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Little Elm
Posts: 2,526
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soap View Post
Nice. Very helpful. I'm waiting on parts for the G19 build. But have other hand guns including a new Sig mk25. I've been on a Gun buying binge. I've bought 6 hand guns in 6 months. Just bought a Glock 26 yesterday.


But yeah man once I put together some things I should be ready to go. I'll pm you if I have anymore questions. Thanks guys.
The BEST advice you'll get... if you want to get into competition shooting STOP buying guns. I know it's cool, I know it feels good, whatever... Stop! Buy ammo.

Pick a gun, sport, division or find something that's a good crossover (like I've mentioned) and none of what you said was all that good for shooting sports. Not that I'm dogging you for what you got, if you've got the money then buy it ALL. If you did though, we'd be having a different conversation. You gotta go slow to go fast. Not joking, kidding, or being an asshole there, just saying if you want to be good slow down.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo View Post
Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo
bird_dog0347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:51 PM   #9
AnthonyS
Lifer
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
The BEST advice you'll get... if you want to get into competition shooting STOP buying guns. I know it's cool, I know it feels good, whatever... Stop! Buy ammo.

Pick a gun, sport, division or find something that's a good crossover (like I've mentioned) and none of what you said was all that good for shooting sports. Not that I'm dogging you for what you got, if you've got the money then buy it ALL. If you did though, we'd be having a different conversation. You gotta go slow to go fast. Not joking, kidding, or being an asshole there, just saying if you want to be good slow down.
SLOW is FAST..... was one of the best bits of advice I ever got. Want to not fuck up in nuclear power.... want to shoot better.... want to be a better race car driver..... want to be better in the sack...... want a better brisket??? Damn saying applies to a lot in life.

Last edited by AnthonyS; 04-02-2018 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Fuck you autocorrect
AnthonyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:14 PM   #10
GE
6 Cliff Trail, Frisco, TX
 
GE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 34,754
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyS View Post
SLOW is FAST..... was one of the best bits of advice I ever got. Want to not fuck up in nuclear power.... want to shoot better.... want to be a better race car driver..... want to be better in the sack...... want a better brisket??? Damn saying applies to a lot in life.
GE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:45 PM   #11
AnthonyS
Lifer
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,412
Default

A lot of what they say is right, but you can’t learn the correct trigger press technique with lots and I mean lots of SLOW dry fire practice. Once you have it down, then you work on speed. I don’t get near enough practice to be great but I can definitely out shoot most and I learned with nice slow steady dry fire practice. Speed comes after that. Anyone suggesting different is lying their ass off about how they got good or fast. Anyone can be fast.... fast is easy. Most cops and gang bangers have fast down pat... most of them dump mags and rarely hit anything too.
AnthonyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
lol@tags-fuacorrect, svo sez russian roulette

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:29 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.