Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Switchblade" law repealed... What to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is my current daily. It's big, but so am I. So it fits my pocket ok.

Comment

My current daily. I like it a lot.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

I would like a small auto benchmade. Any recommendations ?
        DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
          I would like a small auto benchmade. Any recommendations ?
          I'll pick up a CLA and Infidel as soon as we get back to TX.

Comment

The mini Infidel is my next Auto.

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
              Daddy wants!
              No you do not. I have one and have sliced the fuck out of myself many times just by reaching into my pocket and I have had it cut its way out of my pocket more then once.
              Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                No you do not. I have one and have sliced the fuck out of myself many times just by reaching into my pocket and I have had it cut its way out of my pocket more then once.
                An axis lock benchmade?

Comment

I've never had a benchmade open up on me when I didn't want it to.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                    I've never had a benchmade open up on me when I didn't want it to.
                    I've had a problem... ONCE. Can't remember the exact details but I was reaching into my pocket and the blade was partially open and I sliced a small part of my finger. Can't remember the exact details but I want to say something in my pocket was to blame for partially opening the blade. Only time I've ever had a problem in 30 plus years of carrying some kind of folder in my pocket and it wasn't even an auto.

Comment

#texasswordday

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                      Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                        I'll pick up a CLA and Infidel as soon as we get back to TX.
                        I wanted to get a jump on the move to Texas next week, and ordered a Phaeton and CLA to be shipped to my mom's address, so they are there waiting on me (I have zero patience). The CLA is still back-ordered, but fortunately or unfortunately Knife Center screwed up the addresses, and shopped the Phaeton to me here in Sacramento. (shhhhhhh) I'll be sure to pack it away with my stock Glock mags when I head for the CA border.

First impression is that it's got typical Benchmade quality, good weight and balance, but the lack of a safety makes me a little nervous, as the blade comes out forcefully enough to slice my leg pretty good if it were to in my pocket. The switch kind of acts as a safety in that it takes a decent amount of pressure to move it, and frankly, the knife isn't any easier to open than an assisted axis lock, even when new. It, of course, goes back in the pocket much quicker and with a single hand, so there's that. There's a little play on the blade when locked open, but nothing unmanageable, and the fun factor makes up for it.

Comment

I wanted to get a jump on the move to Texas next week, and ordered a Phaeton and CLA to be shipped to my mom's address, so they are there waiting on me (I have zero patience). The CLA is still back-ordered, but fortunately or unfortunately Knife Center screwed up the addresses, and shopped the Phaeton to me here in Sacramento. (shhhhhhh) I'll be sure to pack it away with my stock Glock mags when I head for the CA border.

First impression is that it's got typical Benchmade quality, good weight and balance, but the lack of a safety makes me a little nervous, as the blade comes out forcefully enough to slice my leg pretty good if it were to in my pocket. The switch kind of acts as a safety in that it takes a decent amount of pressure to move it, and frankly, the knife isn't any easier to open than an assisted axis lock, even when new. It, of course, goes back in the pocket much quicker and with a single hand, so there's that. There's a little play on the blade when locked open, but nothing unmanageable, and the fun factor makes up for it.

Hmmm, to fuck with A-Aron or not...? Hmmmm. Should we report you to the Kali POPO so you can get a free colonoscopy before you leave?!

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
                            Hmmm, to fuck with A-Aron or not...? Hmmmm. Should we report you to the Kali POPO so you can get a free colonoscopy before you leave?!
                            I looked into it again, and the lack of legality revolves around carry, they aren't illegal to own. Even in the highly unlikely event I am thoroughly searched at the border, I'm good so long as it's in the trunk, or in this case, trailer. Thanks for your concern. [emoji14]

Same as it's always been, but when I looked into it a few years ago, I didn't feel like parting with $400 for a knife I'd be afraid to forget was in my pocket.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

So my $0.02 is to not waste the extra money on an auto folder, at least with the Benchmade's, their assisted axis locks perform as well as this new CLA. Ever so slightly less effort to engage and disengage the blade on the auto, but not worth the premium they ask IMO. Given a little time, I could massage an assisted version to require less force actually.

I'm diggin' the OTF though, has been super convenient during the move, as I've been breaking down a bunch of boxes, and the one-handed action made it do much quicker.

Comment

So my $0.02 is to not waste the extra money on an auto folder, at least with the Benchmade's, their assisted axis locks perform as well as this new CLA. Ever so slightly less effort to engage and disengage the blade on the auto, but not worth the premium they ask IMO. Given a little time, I could massage an assisted version to require less force actually.

I'm diggin' the OTF though, has been super convenient during the move, as I've been breaking down a bunch of boxes, and the one-handed action made it do much quicker.
                                Agreed unless you just want an expensive toy. I have both a Benchmade and a Spyderco Auto and the speed/convenience does not justify the extra cost IMO. It's really not that much slower using a regular folder (especially an assisted) over an auto plus you don't have to worry about carry in states that do not allow auto's (which is really stupid IMO).

Fortunately I bought both of these used so it didn't hurt the pocketbook as much. Definitely does have the bling factor when you use one around your friends though I still want an OTF and looking for a deal on an Infidel or maybe a Microtec.

Comment

Working...
                                X