Adding a teenage driver to your insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a teenage driver to your insurance

My son is 16 and going to be getting his license in a couple months.. how much did your insurance go up when adding your kiddo?
    "PSH!!!"

get them their own policy, my parents were dead set on me not getting their insurance screwed up if i junked some stuff... later in life it was brought to my attention that it helped me start building credit way before my friends.
    pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

have daughters with great grades so didn't take much of a hit
      when the fist one has a wreck I'm screwed

Comment

I don't recall exact numbers for the boys, but it seems like it was between $200 and $300 a month (full coverage).. :/ As I recall, it essentially doubled our insurance.

We're about to see it again, as the youngest turns 16 in December..

Comment

When I added my daughter and her car (full coverage), our insurance went from $200/mo to $800. I shopped and changed companies, but am still around $400/mo.
          2nd daughter is about to get added as well.

Thank God they'll be off when my son starts driving.

Comment

Shit! I'm no where near ready for this.

Comment

$150 a month for my sons 14 Raptor. It dropped $100 a month when I moved to Cooke county from Denton county.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
              2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
                $150 a month for my sons 14 Raptor.
                Thanks for reminding me I grew up poor.
                sigpic

Comment

$500/6 months for my daughter. Oddly enough, it was cheaper putting her on the Mustang as the primary vehicle (well...it's 15 years old).
                  "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

It was 450 dollars for 6 months, then it's become 400 dollars, as I remember. Although it was 2 years ago, everything could changed. It would be much better for all of us, if insurance agencies could write their own blogs, explaining people and clients how insurance companies work. For example, like this one ( link: https://www.general.com/blog/does-sp...your-insurance ), which helped me to understand how speeding warnings can affect an insurance.
                    Last edited by wesley8b; 06-19-2020, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
                      Thanks for reminding me I grew up poor.
                      His money that he had saved up and worked for. He pays for everything.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
                      2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

You need to check cars / drivers and companies to get good rates for kids. You'd be surprised but 4 door import sedans (BMWs and Audis) were cheapest to insure on kids when I looked 5 years ago. My son is 21 and pays his own insurance now. You want really safe, big cars for kids. Best thing would be to talk to your insurance agent. My insurance basically doubled having a kid too. All of my low useage cars are on a different policy where my son was specifically EXCLUDED as a driver which saved a ton of money.

My advice would be to put them on something old and cheap and get them EXCLUDED on anything you have that is cool or nice. Some insurance companies won't do this, because they are addicted to your wallet. If you have two nickels, trust me, someone is willing to steal or kill you for them.

Comment

Our son pays the difference on our policy.

Comment

Be ready to pay and pray he doesn't get into an accident afterwards. When he turned 16 I bought him a Lightning, the insurance for liability only was a $100.00 a month on top of my policy. He had a fender bender, it went up to $200.00 a month. I bought him a new Mustang when he turned 18, it went up to $300.00 per month. My monthly bill was $500.xx, 3 yrs later he got his ST and went on his own, he was paying $175,xx and mine dropped down to $235.xx, for the 17 Stang, Expy Sport and the Cobra...

Contact Tony Dominguez at Allstate, hes an advertiser here 817-405-2011, he can give you the best rate and shoot you right from the hip, with no bullshit. He has no problem talking to you and walking you through your policy and give you real world numbers. I know more than a few members here use him. He does my house, cars and life policy.
                            Originally posted by Silverback
                            Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Did you not add him while he had his learners permit?

My son turns 15 in Oct.
                              sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                              17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                              13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                              86 SVO - Sold
                              '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                              01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                              65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Working...
                              X