No announcement yet.

Online Tax preparation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honestly, we've used Turbo Tax the past several years with no issues. It's easy to use.

The only question I've caught is that my wife didn't take a state sales tax deduction last year, so I think we need to refile 2014. She said she was almost positive it walked her through questions on it and said we're better off without taking it. I have no idea how that's possible unless we were bumping into AMT or something.
    Originally posted by davbrucas
    I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Turbo Tax
      Check your self bro , you're not that cool.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
        We have never had someone do it, and I feel we may be missing out on some credits such as working from home and its write off potential.
        I used a professional when I had my cake business. Primarily to make sure that I took the deductions that I was able to. Secondary to that, I felt it was insurance so that I didn't screw something up and get audited.

Originally posted by 93LXHORSE View Post
        Turbo Tax is so easy it's ridiculous no matter what your situation might be. It will ask you every question necessary as you navigate through it. If it applies, it directs you further into subsections and detail. If not, it doesn't confuse you with questions you don't need to answer.

Furthermore, it keeps track each year of your returns. If you have the same job and haven't moved, all the easier.

I highly recommend it.
        I have used Turbo tax the last 2 years, extremely easy and you can work through it in less than half an hour.
        Originally posted by Leah
        Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Tax of Turbo
          Originally posted by talisman
          I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
          Originally posted by AdamLX
          If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
          Originally posted by Broncojohnny
          Because fuck you, that's why
          Originally posted by 80coupe
          nice dick, Idrivea4banger
          Originally posted by Rick Modena
          ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
          Originally posted by Jester
          Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

Tax with boost.

Comment

Im using HR block this year. After turbo taxes bullshit screwing customers, Im moving on. Besides, last year turbo tax said I owed $600..tax act I got back $67

Comment

Used turbo tax the last two years. Used an accountant after I worked overseas and then bought a house and got the first time buyers refund in '09 that does not need to be repayed. Had alot of shit that I just didn't want to hassle with so I paid her. After we moved and things are back to normal and we just have the w2s I do it myself. Basically whether or not I pay someone else to do it depends on how much of a headache I think it will be.
                I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

I'm considering online for the first time.

Last two years I used my fathers CPA and I didn't get much.
                  I'm just a single guy, but being a first time home buyer i thought for some reason I'd get a lot back, but I just got back something like $700.

Last year I got back $400 and the guy charged me $250. It's just not worth it to use him.

But then again, I have several tax forms and doing it myself maybe complicated.
                  So far I have a tax form from
                  School
                  TD ameritrade
                  ING (ira)
                  My mortgage bank
                  And of course my w2.

Is it normal for a 30 year old single guy to only get back around $500?
                  My dad thinks I'm nuts for not using the CPA because in his opinion he'll get me the most back, and he says I'm not getting much back because I'm paying the perfect amount of taxes out of every check.
                  DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
                    I'm considering online for the first time.

Last two years I used my fathers CPA and I didn't get much.
                    I'm just a single guy, but being a first time home buyer i thought for some reason I'd get a lot back, but I just got back something like $700.

Last year I got back $400 and the guy charged me $250. It's just not worth it to use him.

But then again, I have several tax forms and doing it myself maybe complicated.
                    So far I have a tax form from
                    School
                    TD ameritrade
                    ING (ira)
                    My mortgage bank
                    And of course my w2.

Is it normal for a 30 year old single guy to only get back around $500?
                    My dad thinks I'm nuts for not using the CPA because in his opinion he'll get me the most back, and he says I'm not getting much back because I'm paying the perfect amount of taxes out of every check.
                    The amount you get back depends greatly on how much was actually withheld. Getting a lot back just means you paid in too much through the year.

Your last sentence is exactly correct. The closer to zero your return is (or how much you owe) the more accurate the witholdings are. Assuming your taxes are done correctly.

The items you described above are all within the type of stuff easily handled by turbotax.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                      Im using HR block this year. After turbo taxes bullshit screwing customers, Im moving on. Besides, last year turbo tax said I owed $600..tax act I got back $67
                      I didn't hear anything about Turbotax, which isn't saying much, what is the scoop on that?
                      Originally posted by Leah
                      Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

H&R Block will dick you big time. Refunds depends on what you put on your W9 when you give it to your employer. If you get a big refund (unless you get some earned income tax credit or other credit), it just means you over withheld throughout the year.

It cracks me up how people get excited about big refunds (short of getting credits). It just means you loaned the fed your money for the whole year interest-free. Sweet.

slow99, I think TurboTax can use a standard amount for sales tax deduction based on your income, but it's pretty low. The other option is to calculate it yourself. A little trick I use that helps a lot is to print my credit card statement and impute my sales tax at roughly 8.25% of the total. Then I add any car purchases or other large individual purchases subject to sales tax. That normally gives me a pretty nice sales tax deduction.

It appears your wife didn't input the amounts and just took the standard amount presuming y'all itemized.
                        Ford
                        GM
                        Toyota
                        VAG

Comment

Originally posted by quikag View Post
                          h&r block will dick you big time. Refunds depends on what you put on your w4 when you give it to your employer. If you get a big refund (unless you get some earned income tax credit or other credit), it just means you over withheld throughout the year.
                          ftfy..

Comment

I used to use TurboTax for free for a couple of years in the past, and had no issues. But, the last few years I tried, it would lock up on me and/or erase all of my progress after putting info in for 30+ minutes. After dealing with that, it would get me close to the end and then try to force me to pay a fee to go any further. This was just plain ol' 1040EZ shit. Fuck that.

I switched to Tax Act and haven't looked back. It's just a much better interface.

This year I will probably hire a CPA. Got married, moved to a new state, bought a house, started working full-time from home, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by quikag View Post

slow99, ... ... ...
                              It appears your wife didn't input the amounts and just took the standard amount presuming y'all itemized.
                              No, I posted that she didn't take one at all.
                              Last edited by slow99; 02-03-2016, 05:36 PM.
                              Originally posted by davbrucas
                              I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

If you want more back then have 6 kids and quit your job.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
                                2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Working...
                                X