Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have a set of snow chains I can borrow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have a set of snow chains I can borrow?

Heading to Colorado next Wednesday and it seems they are getting pretty steady snow and my truck is not 4WD..only posi. Its a long shot but anyone have a set of chains that will fit 265/70/R17's that will loan them out? I don't want to buy chains for a one time use. Just thought I'd try.

I might have chains. I'll have to check with size they fit.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
      Heading to Colorado next Wednesday and it seems they are getting pretty steady snow and my truck is not 4WD..only posi. Its a long shot but anyone have a set of chains that will fit 265/70/R17's that will loan them out? I don't want to buy chains for a one time use. Just thought I'd try.
      They put more salt on the roads than what's in the dead sea. If you're going into the mountains then chains may be necessary, but in the city you should be fine as long as you have good all seasons. Maybe a bit of weight in the bed.

Comment

I have a couple sets I picked up for Donner pass and in Yosemite, for both vehicles, but they won't fit your application. Chains aren't one size fits all unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
          They put more salt on the roads than what's in the dead sea. If you're going into the mountains then chains may be necessary, but in the city you should be fine as long as you have good all seasons. Maybe a bit of weight in the bed.
          I had no problems last year...but there was very little snow. In 2015 however the snowfall was comparable to what they are getting now and I did have some issues up on the mountain. I have virtually new Michelin all season tires on all 4 corners...but having a set of chains I can put on if it becomes necessary would be nice.

Comment

They chew up your rims big time. Carry a shovel, sand, a long recovery strap, and a big come-along or get some shit steel wheels and some real snow tires.
            Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Rent a 4wd when you get there.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                They chew up your rims big time. Carry a shovel, sand, a long recovery strap, and a big come-along or get some shit steel wheels and some real snow tires.
                Yes, that's the ticket. For the guy who obviously doesn't need them often (and might not even need them this time), forgo the one-stop compact solution, and go buy 4 or 5 different items that won't ever be needed.

"Hey guys, can I borrow an empty beer keg?"
                "You know you could just contact a mining operation, buy some ore, contract out a smelter, make a mold... or just already own your own brewery where you can bottle instead of worrying about a keg."
                Last edited by Strychnine; 01-21-2019, 10:30 PM.

Comment

I have a brand new set for that exact size. You can have them for free, just have to make a pit stop in Southern California

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                    Yes, that's the ticket. For the guy who obviously doesn't need them often (and might not even need them this time), forgo the one-stop compact solution, and go buy 4 or 5 different items that won't ever be needed.

"You know you could just contact a mining operation, buy some ore, contract out a smelter, make a mold... or just already own your own brewery where you can bottle instead of worrying about a keg."

Comment

What type of truck. Looking for chains myself for.my 08 silverado. Manual says specifically not to use them with my tire size to.to clearance. I feel it's a cover their ass issue and then I've also read a guy fucking up his bed/fenders.

I'm gunna have a shop I Denver look at mine and decide what to do

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
                        What type of truck. Looking for chains myself for.my 08 silverado. Manual says specifically not to use them with my tire size to.to clearance. I feel it's a cover their ass issue and then I've also read a guy fucking up his bed/fenders.

07 GMC Sierra 1500. They are basically the same truck.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post

I have all of the items that I listed except for the rims and tires laying around and assumed that many of the type of people who post here would to.

When going into rough country you can never be too prepared and you should carry everything I listed along with extra gas and food if there is even the slightest chance of getting snow bound and even if you have chains on your tires. I went to school up north and every year in the spring a few unlucky and unprepared people were found thawing out in their cars after being missing for a few months. I got stuck badly in upper MI once because the snow was too deep even for a 4x4 on 36" tires. I had to winch myself out 75ft at a time over a few days.
                          Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                            07 GMC Sierra 1500. They are basically the same truck.
                            At full lock the fronts are very close to the fenders. I wouldn't expect the rear to be an issue, but I wouldn't want to chance it.

If it were me I would wait until I was in Colorado before making a purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                              I went to school up north and every year I had to walk to school in the snow, uphill both ways...
                              Fixed that for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X