2017 Lawn Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
    If the trees are bloking out the sun, that is most definitely why there is no grass.

Isn't there a fairly common grass that prefers shade? That will do ok in Texas. If so I'll get some of that and put that there.
    WH

Comment

• St augustine will typically grow in shade, however if it is pretty dense shade, you may still have some issues. That would require thinning the canopy of the tree (s). Though Zemog may have a different take on it. Post a pic of what you have going on when you get a chance

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
      Originally posted by Leah
      Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen View Post
        Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't mowing lower promote more weed growth?
        No, just the opposite , it creates a thick dense canopy it takes more mowing to keep it that short and green in most cases , this is only for Bermuda and zoysia lawns .
        Bermuda grass should be green from top to bottom, if it turns brown when cut you aren't cutting often enough , it's too tall and you are cutting the stem which isn't getting enough light.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goku025 View Post
          My bermuda likes to be at 1/2" but no more than 1.5". If i keep it low it gets so dense that it chokes out any weeds that come up. If i do get weeds (from my neighbors) its only a handful that i can go out and pull. I also put down the Lesco pre-emergent twice a year and it has really helped that as well.
          I put lesco pre-emergent down this year and it didn't do dick. Not very happy with that product.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

• Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
            Isn't there a fairly common grass that prefers shade? That will do ok in Texas. If so I'll get some of that and put that there.
            There is a shade fescue available on amazon called dense shade or something like that. It worked great for me.
            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

• Is anyone else's st Augustine seeding like a mofo?
              "PSH!!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by CJ View Post
                I put lesco pre-emergent down this year and it didn't do dick. Not very happy with that product.
                What weeds are you having trouble with ?

Comment

• Originally posted by zemog View Post
                  What weeds are you having trouble with ?
                  Only crabgrass. Upon reflection, I will say it totally got rid of my chickweed. I totally forgot about that

Comment

• If anyone has been fighting dallis grass, apparently Round Ups poison ivy treatment kicks the shit out of it. I was treating some poison ivy on my fence and had a dallis patch that was popping up below on the ground. The over spray hit the dallis grass and that shit died in a week. I went and spot treated around some garden beds, where they were large, and knocked those out too. It most definitely will work in spot treatments.

Comment

Only crabgrass. Upon reflection, I will say it totally got rid of my chickweed. I totally forgot about that
                      It took the lesco about 1 and a half years before i saw great results. I haven't had any crabgrass issues this year. It has been great!

Comment

• Originally posted by Goku025 View Post
                        It took the lesco about 1 and a half years before i saw great results. I haven't had any crabgrass issues this year. It has been great!
                        It seems like this would be about right. The pre-emergent is only going to prevent new weeds from growing/germinating. So, while you are preventing new growth, you still have to get rid of the old/established weeds as well.

It has taken me 3 years or so to clear out my front yard. The front from the corner of the house to the driveway is looking pretty good. The side yard from the corner of the house to the fence is still full of weeds. My bermuda is finally getting thick and choking stuff out in the front and creeping into the side yard. I'll try and get a new pic after it gets mowed this week. I put down some more fertilizer early this week and it is looking GOOD!
                        Originally posted by Leah
                        Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

• I bought some MSMA. My bermuda has never looked this good. Wish I'd done it years ago

Comment

• Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
                            I bought some MSMA. My bermuda has never looked this good. Wish I'd done it years ago
                            What did you get?

Comment

What did you get?
                              MSMA Target 6 Plus Herbicide is for post-emergent control of crabgrass, dallisgrass, johnsongrass, nutsedge, pigweed, and chickweed. MSMA is one of the best selective post emergent herbicides but is also dangerous if improperly used. Please read all label

Comment

• awesome, boy that stuff is pricey! So did you just do a full lawn application?

Comment

Working...
                                X