DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > The Back Porch

The Back Porch General Discussions for topics that don't belong in other forums.

Old 06-11-2019, 03:29 PM   #1
1carcrazyguy
Lifer

Default DFW ground stoppage? Weather?

Been sitting on a plane for an hour and half now at DFW. Been on the runway 4 times now and they keep calling off the take off due to weather. Pulled back to the gate to refuel.....which is better than trying to stretch that out! Anyway.....pulled up the radar.....and nothing to speak of weather wise? So which one of you all knows what’s going on? American Airlines of course....🤣
1carcrazyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 03:33 PM   #2
Ruffdaddy
Lifer

Is it a wind shear issue?
Ruffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 03:33 PM   #3
Baron Von Crowder
asshole with an opinion
VIP Member

weather up high may be too turbulent for takeoff.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:12 PM   #4
helosailor
Blow me down

The treadmill is having trouble getting up to speed.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:59 PM   #5
slow84lx
Lifer
VIP Member

Maybe the weather was bad where you were going? I sat in the Richmond, VA airport for a few extra hours last Friday due to thunderstorms. Was glad that they didn't load us on the plane and then make us sit on the tarmac.
slow84lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:02 AM   #6
Grimpala
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by helosailor View Post
the treadmill is having trouble getting up to speed.
/thread
Old 06-12-2019, 07:40 AM   #7
lowthreeohz
lol wut

I sat on the tarmac for 3.5 hours Sunday night because after the storm there were too many planes and not enough gates. We landed at 818p, didn't deplane until 12a. then they lost my fucking bag for 48 hours, this trip has been a complete shitshow.
lowthreeohz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:10 PM   #8
1carcrazyguy
Lifer

Weather was great in Amarillo, which is where we were headed. Finally made it after a 3 hour delay.
1carcrazyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:28 PM   #9
Tx Redneck
Wannabe puter fixor
VIP Member

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Send a message via Skype™ to Tx Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowthreeohz View Post
I sat on the tarmac for 3.5 hours Sunday night because after the storm there were too many planes and not enough gates. We landed at 818p, didn't deplane until 12a. then they lost my fucking bag for 48 hours, this trip has been a complete shitshow.
That's absolutely absurd, I'd have lost my salvation over that.
Tx Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:36 PM   #10
lowthreeohz
lol wut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck View Post
That's absolutely absurd, I'd have lost my salvation over that.
It was bad.. i didn't get my luggage until yesterday around 4p. They did gift me 25k miles as a result of the long ground stoppage which is a THIN silver lining.. but it is what it is. I'm gonna see if i can get another 5-10k for the baggage delay.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:42 PM   #11
cool cat
Lifer

Quote:
Did the flight crew allow people to use the restrooms, did they hand out drinks?
cool cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:51 PM   #12
Craizie
Cracka
VIP Member

Quote:
It was bad.. i didn't get my luggage until yesterday around 4p. They did gift me 25k miles as a result of the long ground stoppage which is a THIN silver lining.. but it is what it is. I'm gonna see if i can get another 5-10k for the baggage delay.
Who did you fly on?
Craizie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:55 PM   #13
lowthreeohz
lol wut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool cat View Post
Did the flight crew allow people to use the restrooms, did they hand out drinks?
Yeah, we were given water and pretzels lol. I know that after 2 hours they're required to offer that, and after 3 we are supposed to have the option to deplane.. however the laws are murky as they skirt liability if the delays are ATC caused. That said, my understanding is that once the plane is on the ground that operations are controlled by the airline and not ATC, so if that is indeed the case i could be entitled to 200% refund on my trip. I'll look into it a bit more and see what shakes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craizie View Post
Who did you fly on?
AA, CLT to DFW.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:48 PM   #14
Rick Modena
Cockasaurusmex ®
VIP Member

Yeah, I would have lost my shit over that, I'd probably scream, "I have a bomb" just to get off the plane!

I guess that's why I only use Southwest and have never had any problems, but I do understand that Southwest does not fly into many places. I, myself just don't go there if they don't fly there.
The last time I flew AA (2001) we were stuck on the tarmac during a heave rain in NYC, when we did go to take off, the pilot pulled back into the gate as a radio of some sort malfunctioned, we were on the tarmac for 3 hrs., I swore I would never fly AA again, rude muthufuckers!
Rick Modena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:52 PM   #15
lowthreeohz
lol wut

my local airport only flies AA, anywhere else is an hour or more drive away.

Last edited by lowthreeohz; 06-12-2019 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:49 PM   #16
JC316
Lifer

I've come to the conclusion that flying only saves you a couple of hours over driving. When you factor in the drive to the airport, the 2 hours for TSA, possible delays, delays in getting off the plane, getting a rental car, and driving to your destination, there really isn't that much time saved.
JC316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:54 PM   #17
Rick Modena
Cockasaurusmex ®
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC316 View Post
I've come to the conclusion that flying only saves you a couple of hours over driving. When you factor in the drive to the airport, the 2 hours for TSA, possible delays, delays in getting off the plane, getting a rental car, and driving to your destination, there really isn't that much time saved.
You make a good point, but im not driving to NYC or any part of Commiefornia or southern Florida, I'll gladly take a non-stop flight to and from Lover Field any day of the week, pahTnah...
Rick Modena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:46 PM   #18
slow84lx
Lifer
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC316 View Post
This conclusion only applies if you are within a 5-6 hour drive. Bad weather for planes could stretch that out to about a 10 hour drive but you might also be fighting bad roads a the same time.

It really depends upon where you are going. Going to meet a customer in the Chicago area? Leave DFW early a.m. visit your customer late morning, have lunch, get back home in time to have dinner with your family. You can't do that in your car.
slow84lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:11 PM   #19
JC316
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow84lx View Post
This conclusion only applies if you are within a 5-6 hour drive. Bad weather for planes could stretch that out to about a 10 hour drive but you might also be fighting bad roads a the same time.
I think the number goes up to about a 10 hour drive. I left Dallas at 9PM and ate breakfast in Pensacola, Fl at 7AM. Factoring in 2 hours to wake up and get to the airport, then 2 hours for TSA, then a 2 hours flight, and another hour to pick up the car, I'm only saving 3 hours.

I can handle 3 extra hours on the road to avoid the aggravation of TSA, the shitty seats on a plane, possible annoying children, and definitely annoying passengers.
JC316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:36 PM   #20
Mach1
rm -rf /

2 hrs tsa??, carryon and precheck ftw

Tags
faa calling svo now, gethefoffthen, nay blowing pilots=u wait, pilots got nay airtight, ur pilot is drunk