DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > The Back Porch

The Back Porch General Discussions for topics that don't belong in other forums.

Old 06-30-2020, 12:48 AM   #1
Rick Modena
Cockasaurusmex

Question Local transmission shop to rebuild 4L60e?

I bought a one owner Chebbie truck to use as a farm truck. It has 200k with the 5.3, motor sounds great but it needs a transmission rebuild. I'm in Collin county and it does run, just won't shift from 2nd to 3rd, any one have a place or recommend a trustworthy place?

BTW in case anyone was wondering, I've checked all fuses and replaced the Throttle Body Sensor, but the trans fluid smells burnt, thought I'd risk a hundo before spending several hundos...

Last edited by Rick Modena; 06-30-2020 at 12:55 AM.
Rick Modena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:20 AM   #2
kingjason
Notorious PIG

If you don't mind a small drive.......My buddy Davey is now at

http://hwy67transmissionrepair.com/

Not sure he will pick it up from BFE!
Old 06-30-2020, 05:57 AM   #3
dcs13
Lifer

Go see Jeff at Plano Transmission. He's done great work for me for about 30 years now. Very honest and does awesome work. 972-423-3666
I live west of Austin and he will still get my work.
dcs13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:44 AM   #4
ram57ta
Lifer

That issue could also be caused by a burned out driver in the ECM...I had the same issue with my Trans Am and swapped the transmission for a known good one and it did the same thing. Ended up being a damaged ECM. There is a shop in Grand Prairie that repaired the computer for about a hundred bucks and it solved the problem. Just throwing it out there.
ram57ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:05 AM   #5
Jose
Lifer

You have a farm now?
Jose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:37 AM   #6
Rick Modena
Cockasaurusmex

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjason View Post
If you don't mind a small drive.......My buddy Davey is now at

Not sure he will pick it up from BFE!
Not sure it will make it that far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcs13 View Post
Go see Jeff at Plano Transmission. He's done great work for me for about 30 years now. Very honest and does awesome work. 972-423-3666
I have talked to him, decent price and close to me. Kinda of scared to drive through Plano tho...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram57ta View Post
That issue could also be caused by a burned out driver in the ECM...I had the same issue with my Trans Am and swapped the transmission for a known good one and it did the same thing. Ended up being a damaged ECM. There is a shop in Grand Prairie that repaired the computer for about a hundred bucks and it solved the problem. Just throwing it out there.
I hope that place I take it to, does a diagnostic on it first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post
You have a farm now?
Does 1.3 acres count as a farm?

I'm always renting the Lowes pick up truck, decided I needed to buy something to haul shit. I need 25 bags of mulch, that shit ain't fitting in my Explorer Sport or Stangs. I took my friend Brent to buy this truck in 2005, hes had it ever since, other than being filthy hes takin decent care of it. I gave him $500.xx.

Last edited by Rick Modena; 06-30-2020 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:59 PM   #7
hxbernal
Served Time

I have a line on a 4l60e for $400 if you'd rather do a swap.
hxbernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:01 PM   #8
kingjason
Notorious PIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Modena View Post
Not sure it will make it that far.

I have talked to him, decent price and close to me. Kinda of scared to drive through Plano tho...

I hope that place I take it to, does a diagnostic on it first.

Does 1.3 acres count as a farm?

I'm always renting the Lowes pick up truck, decided I needed to buy something to haul shit. I need 25 bags of mulch, that shit ain't fitting in my Explorer Sport or Stangs. I took my friend Brent to buy this truck in 2005, hes had it ever since, other than being filthy hes takin decent care of it. I gave him $500.xx.
I had six bags of plastic mulch, two chain saw blades and some weed block in the back of my Z3 today. Stupid part of that is I have two trucks!
Old 06-30-2020, 07:05 PM   #9
bcoop
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Modena View Post
I took my friend Brent to buy this truck in 2005, hes had it ever since, other than being filthy hes takin decent care of it. I gave him $500.xx.
The fuck you did, pinche.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah View Post
In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.
bcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:52 PM   #10
Mysticcobrakilla
Paterpillar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post
You have a farm now?
God damn white people!
Mysticcobrakilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:31 PM   #11
Shorty
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcs13 View Post
He did a clutch in my SVT Focus a few years ago. I was very happy with them.
Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:07 AM   #12
BP
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram57ta View Post
I think you're talking about a quad driver module, GM stopped using that setup around 1992. They basically had 4 relays in the PCM that controlled all of the solenoids in the car. So if one solenoid or harness shorts out it'd fry that driver module.

Being a 4L60E behind a 5.3 it's at least a 2000 model with OBD2 so it's going to have a more modern PCM. With burned fluid and no 3-4 it's going to be a cracked direct drum which is common. It blows all the line pressure out of the side of the drum instead of through the clutch packs.
BP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:58 AM   #13
Rick Modena
Cockasaurusmex

Thanks for all the replies, i'll be taking it Plano Transmission, Jim who answered the phone seems like a very knowledgeable guy and the price isn't too bad and one week turnaround. In another time, I would yank that bitch out myself and get an LKQ or rebuilt one, but I can't be wrenching in this new hood I live in now. That and I'm old, I might break a hip or some shit...
Old 07-02-2020, 12:44 PM   #14
ram57ta
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP View Post
I think you're talking about a quad driver module, GM stopped using that setup around 1992. They basically had 4 relays in the PCM that controlled all of the solenoids in the car. So if one solenoid or harness shorts out it'd fry that driver module.

Being a 4L60E behind a 5.3 it's at least a 2000 model with OBD2 so it's going to have a more modern PCM. With burned fluid and no 3-4 it's going to be a cracked direct drum which is common. It blows all the line pressure out of the side of the drum instead of through the clutch packs.
Mine was a 94. Transmission shop I went to in Dville said it was possibly a solenoid but wouldn't know until they tried to replace it..I didn't have the money at the time for an expensive transmission repair that MIGHT not solve the problem. When I swapped the transmission and is still did it I gave up because I was out of money. Also broke my finger while changing the transmission when the torque converter fell off the input shaft onto my hand. GODDAMN I was done with that car. A good friend of mine who had been wanting the car for several years wanted to buy the car and agreed to my price and took the chance on the ECM being the problem. It was.
ram57ta is offline   Reply With Quote