DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > The Armory

The Armory The definitive firearms forum of DFW Mustangs.

Old 06-11-2020, 01:41 PM   #21
AnthonyS
Lifer

When Iím not on the office (which is most days now), Iím wearing baggy shorts for mtn biking or carhartt cargo shorts or their jeans. Big pockets and a picket holster. I also have one of those stretchy undershirt holsters too.

If I want I have OWB kydex holsters too. When I go that route I have big Carhartt flanel shirts to drape over.
AnthonyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 01:53 PM   #22
Trip McNeely
DRILL BABY, DRILL!!!

The thing I don't like about pocket holsters and carrying in cargo shorts is that the gun then bangs around against my knee/leg like I'm carrying a weight in my pocket. I wish there was something that secured it more so it doesn't wobble around.
Trip McNeely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 01:58 PM   #23
bird_dog0347
Punk Ass Douche

I still IWB carry around 3-3:30ish but if I lose 15 pounds it'll be a lot easier....

Stevo
bird_dog0347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 04:17 PM   #24
Jose
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyS View Post
I used to never carry a spare magazine because all the data on all of the self defense issues showed you didn't need one. Now with hoardes of "peaceful protestors" and no police in sight, I thought it'd be wiser to carry a spare mag. Sad isn't it? And I've also considered what do I want as a truck gun? Ranch rifle, AR, 9mm carbine, lever action, Ruger Scout? I may need to change it up and have a long arm close at all times now too.

It's a sad day and age when you go out for your morning bike ride and grab your P365 and a spare mag.
I know numbers support minimal rounds fired for most defensive shootings. But what I've always been told is that if you are going to have any sort of failure with a semi auto, it's likely going to be magazine related and clearing the slide and replacing the magazine is going to be the quickest thing to do. I know the majority of the classes I've taken always have failure/reload drills to get you used to reloading faster and also to practice for a failure.

Probably not so much an issue for you guys but in my neck of the woods, robberies have occurred with people riding bikes. I probably wouldn't worry at Cedar Hill State Park and riding the DORBA trail there. But I've seen a few weird things Oak Cliff Nature Preserve and Boulder Park; drunk or people high on drugs on the trail, cars that have been broken into (especially when I typically go when it's not crowded), and even someone starting a fire. I don't wear super tight shorts like I've seen some guys wear riding a bike, usually roomy cargo shorts and my Glock 43 on an OWB holster is what I carry.

Haven't gotten around to carrying a truck gun... yet. But not sure if I would use a scout rifle or lever gun. For me it would be either an AR or a shotgun. Maybe a PCC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip McNeely View Post
How do you guys pack during the summer? I have trouble wearing shorts and a T-shirt and not printing, even with my smaller gun. And I live in a pretty liberal (unfortunately) area so thatís the last thing I want. I tend to appendix IWB but if itís move a certain way or crouch you can see too much unless Iím being paranoid.
I rarely carry in a pocket, most of what I wear is loose fitting so a pocket gun is banging around in my pocket. In a holster is the most comfortable for me in the 3 o'clock position either IWB or OWB depending on what I'm doing. And mostly my Glock 17. I'm more comfortable with the grip and capacity.
Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:14 PM   #25
mightyp
creepy ass cracka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post
Interesting that some of you are carrying revolvers or 1911's. Is everybody carrying spare magazines? Did anyone not carry a spare and is now?

I used to just carry my Glock 26,no spare mag,now I carry extra full size 17 rnd mag. Probably should have the whole time.

its still "We the people"...right?
mightyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 12:05 PM   #26
Stephen
Extremely custom title

P320 xcompact with extra mag
Old 06-30-2020, 04:47 PM   #27
Chopped54
Growed Up Wrong

Kimber K6S
Chopped54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:56 PM   #28
Broncojohnny
Lifer

Nothing like a shotgun for the truck. Make sure it is loaded out with 00 buck, anything less is not going to do much.

Also, as of September last year it is legal in Texas to carry a club or brass knuckles. Nothing beats a nice steel friction lock baton. I have a 27" one. Most people piss their pants and decide they have an appointment somewhere else as soon as you pop it open.
Quote:
Originally Posted by racrguy View Post
Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.
Broncojohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:14 PM   #29
John -- '02 HAWK
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojohnny View Post
Nothing like a shotgun for the truck. Make sure it is loaded out with 00 buck, anything less is not going to do much.

Also, as of September last year it is legal in Texas to carry a club or brass knuckles. Nothing beats a nice steel friction lock baton. I have a 27" one. Most people piss their pants and decide they have an appointment somewhere else as soon as you pop it open.
be careful just because they changed the carry laws doesn't mean you will be afforded the same legal protections as carrying and using a firearm.
John -- '02 HAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:32 PM   #30
Broncojohnny
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
be careful just because they changed the carry laws doesn't mean you will be afforded the same legal protections as carrying and using a firearm.
I'm not one to just go pulling things like that out for the hell of it but if I have to do it I have some legal representation already on board thanks to some work relationships. I view it like a gun, I hope I never need it.
Quote:
Old 07-01-2020, 07:21 PM   #31
John -- '02 HAWK
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojohnny View Post
I'm not one to just go pulling things like that out for the hell of it but if I have to do it I have some legal representation already on board thanks to some work relationships. I view it like a gun, I hope I never need it.
you shouldn't view them as a gun because they don't have all the laws protecting them.
John -- '02 HAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 06:31 AM   #32
Broncojohnny
Lifer

Quote:
you shouldn't view them as a gun because they don't have all the laws protecting them.
I was speaking philosophically, not legally.
Quote:
Old 07-05-2020, 11:26 PM   #33
Nash B.
Lifer

I switched from my trusty old Glock 29 to a CZ P-07 9mm as of today
Quote:
what differences, specifically?
Nash B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:05 AM   #34
Jose
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose
I rarely carry in a pocket, most of what I wear is loose fitting so a pocket gun is banging around in my pocket. In a holster is the most comfortable for me in the 3 o'clock position either IWB or OWB depending on what I'm doing. And mostly my Glock 17. I'm more comfortable with the grip and capacity.
Guess I should change this. For the past few days I've been carrying an LCR in a pocket holster in my left pocket. No speed strips or reloads, just a spare gun. Mainly wanted to see if the weight/feel would bother me any when walking the dog and it really doesn't other than having to move my wallet and keys to the opposite pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyp View Post
I used to just carry my Glock 26,no spare mag,now I carry extra full size 17 rnd mag. Probably should have the whole time.
Good for you. Although extremely rare, most malfunctions in a semi auto are faster to clear and make ready by dumping the magazine and racking the slide and going to a reload. Also keep in mind that I have heard of some failures when using plus size magazines, not magazine extensions, with smaller guns. Something about the way the magazine is gripped tightly underneath the frame causing some failures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
P320 xcompact with extra mag
If I wasn't so entrenched with Glock's and comfortable with shooting them, I would have gone with the 320 for simple fact that it's easy to swap to another frame. I have four 9mm Glock's right now in different sizes with plans to add a fifth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped54 View Post
Kimber K6S
How are you liking it? I haven't shot or held one but I've heard great things about it.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:28 PM   #35
Chas_svo
No longer SVO'ing.
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped54 View Post
Kimber K6S
Do they still recommend/require the 500 round break-in?

I've seen several Kimbers I like, but haven't bought one yet.
86 SVO - Sold
'03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
01 TJ - new toy - Sold
65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold
Chas_svo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:02 AM   #36
Jose
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas_svo View Post
Do they still recommend/require the 500 round break-in?

I've seen several Kimbers I like, but haven't bought one yet.
For a revolver?

Tags
shithole country, thanks trump