No announcement yet.

My $3,000 Van..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So a leaf sprung front axle? No TTB? I fantasize about a 70’s Ford or Chevy van with a front axle bombing around with the wife cringing every time she had to ride in it and the kids loving it.

You looking for any of those parts? I’ll keep an eye out if so

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
      Essentially, all the suspension and axles, add transfer case, and the supporting modifications to run / adapt the new equipment.. most of the stuff can be obtained from a combination of late 90's and early 2000's f250 / f350..

Pretty entailed but mostly bolt on, with just a couple simple welding tasks (spring hangers mainly).
      I'd find a way to make it 05+ Ford front end. Ride is so much better

Comment

Originally posted by 4EyedTurd View Post
        So a leaf sprung front axle? No TTB? I fantasize about a 70’s Ford or Chevy van with a front axle bombing around with the wife cringing every time she had to ride in it and the kids loving it.

You looking for any of those parts? I’ll keep an eye out if so
        There are options for TTB but I'm looking at straight axle (Dana 60) with leaf's. I can get the axles and transfer case from LKQ, but the rest of teh kit would come from U-Joint Offroad

Originally posted by dblack1 View Post
        I'd find a way to make it 05+ Ford front end. Ride is so much better
        The preferred front axle is from the late 90's. The rear, if you choose to upgrade, would be a 10.5 Sterling from the early 2000's. I'm sure you can make other stuff work, but this guy pumps them out all day, so I'd rather go with a proven combo..

Comment

I installed the roof vent yesterday. I went with the Maxxair with 10 speeds forward and reverse, and the cover is fully enclosed so you can have it open and on in the rain.

I only need to add the trim ring inside, but I need to get he ceiling up first, which should happen today. I'm putting in tongue and groove cedar up top.p

Since we're not living in it, I considered it optional, but being able to open the sliding windows and sucking air through should be nice when it's a little stuffy or stinky..

Attached Files

Comment

Not sure it would be worth the hassle, but maybe? Free is good. Might be a good base to start a build.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
              Since we're not living in it, I considered it optional, but being able to open the sliding windows and sucking air through should be nice when it's a little stuffy or stinky.
              What kind of stinky? Sex stinky?

Sex stinky is gooood...
              Originally posted by Silverback
              Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Have you looked at coatings like the lizard skin stuff for spray on insulation? I'm thinking my next project vehicle will get the inside of the cab sprayed in it when it's stripped for sound and heating / cooling benefits.

Comment

I love it. More tire (and gears) will really make it killer.

Comment

I'm digging the van!

Comment

Just got back from a 2 week trip in the van, though I only spent 4 nights in it.

Before I left I finished the roof, put in the bed, and otherwise just threw in a temp battery box and drawers.

The rear of the van roof will get some 1/4 inch plywood, since there will be a slim, forward facing shelf there for the window blackout / insulation panels.

During my trip I camped with my aunt down in San Diego, CA, but she's an RV park type camper..

Attached Files

Comment

I really like this project a lot. It shows what can be done and made nice for some elbow grease and not a lot of dollars. And I love getting out of the city when I get a chance. If I get two cars sold, I may need to find my own 3k van.

Comment

Working...
                        X