don't be a dick to the track workers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
    Pretty easy for an attorney to show negligence on the part of the track worker in that he had a duty to help and walked away, thus defeating the waiver.

Driver is clearly a baby, and will very likely foot the bill, but the track worker is a fucking thin skinned idiot.
    I would argue that the way the driver was speaking to and approaching the track worked was in a threatening manner, and the worker feared he would be assaulted therefore backed off.

And the initial retreat was for the track worker's safety. Once he learned the driver could not shut off he car, and saw that the driver exited the vehicle without popping the hood, he determined he could not put fluid on the flames therefore was at more risk being near the car. Those puny little fire extinguishers will only work if you can get them on the source.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
      Those puny little fire extinguishers will only work if you can get them on the source.
      During one of Tommy Trotter's many crashes the car burned so bad they ran out of extinguishers at E-town. They brought in a front end loader to flip it on it's side and dumped dirt on it.

I was at Englishtown for a Mustang shootout a couple years ago. Tommy lines up against Tom Kasper, and filps the car over. He got out, but the car, well, it ...

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
        During one of Tommy Trotter's many crashes the car burned so bad they ran out of extinguishers at E-town. They brought in a front end loader to flip it on it's side and dumped dirt on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z8XVV9buwU
        wow. Imagine being inside the car and the drivers door is pinned to the wall and flames are everywhere else.

Comment

I remember back when that happened. I't was unnerving to watch back then and it still is.

Comment

Yikes!

I know I've been told not to waste my time on trying to put out a vehicle fire with smaller extinguishers.. In fact, I went through some first aid training with an Austin EMT a couple months ago and he essentially said that if you have a handheld extinguisher, don't bother putting it on a car fire. Rather, save it for PEOPLE who may be on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by 4bangen View Post
              I remember back when that happened. I't was unnerving to watch back then and it still is.
              Especially seeing as how Racin' Jason died there just a couple of years prior.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                Holy leap of the century! Before we take the leap into 15 gear old girls and clubbing baby seals let's talk about the actual events that happened.

-Moron blows his car up...small fire
                -track workers attempt to put fire out near immediately
                -track worker repeatedly requests moron to turn off car
                - moron doesnt know how to run his car properly...so he cant shut it off. Regardless of him trying...he is the one that doesnt know how to turn it off (5 second button hold is mentioned on other forums...but not sure if thats true as I dont own and fiats).
                -moron verbally assaults track worker
                -track worker pops off and backs away until he thinks the situation is going to be safe enough to resume fire fighting measures with no fire suit or the proper equipment.
                -moron finally pops hood as requested
                -fire-fighting resumes

This all happens in a matter of minutes. It's not like the crew never gave the initial attempt and sat around for 20 minutes. Oh and theres a fire going on.

The moron is the one that wouldn't shut the car off. The reason he wouldnt is because he didn't know how to operate HIS equipment. The track worker has ni clue why the moron is refusing to shit is fiat off.

So now that we agree that this is far from a massive mistake by the track worker...let's talk about your 15 year old girl.

The only one that should be smacked if an untrained 15 year old girl is given the keys to a demon is the person that gave her the keys. Track worker still has the right to be worried for his own safety.
                You completely missed the point. Bringing up children in junior dragsters or 15 year old girls or hell anyone else for that matter is valid because I'm talking about instructing people, who are quite possibly inexperienced, to do things when there is danger.

When someone doesn't follow obvious instructions the first time in a dangerous situation it is most likely that they didn't understand the direction and it is also very possible that they may not even realize they are in danger.

Jumping around the car and yelling profanity at someone is a great way to escalate the situation just as the video shows.

Also, Sean's point about the idiot not trying to put the car out and just walking away is completely valid. He is exposing the track to liability on that point alone and that is why he would be fired immediately if I owned the place. Sure we can all sit here and say there is a waiver and he has no duty to put the fire out but if that is truly the case then why does he have a fire extinguisher?

The guy is an adult baby who over reacted. What the driver did is completely beside the point.
                Originally posted by racrguy
                What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                Originally posted by racrguy
                Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post

The moron is the one that wouldn't shut the car off.
                  S
                  As usual it's more like both. Idiot A meets idiot B, someone records it and posts it.
                  WH

Comment

As soundproof as today's modern cars are, and with the rule you race with your windows up, i usually cant hear anyone talking in my RS if the windows are up.

Its not a good thing when your trained track worker has the same maturity level as an amateur patron.

Knowing how to turn off your car in an emergency is something you should learn, especially in something 700+ hp that you intend to hurdle down a dragstrip.

Comment

Originally posted by 32vfromhell View Post
                      As soundproof as today's modern cars are, and with the rule you race with your windows up, i usually cant hear anyone talking in my RS if the windows are up.

Its not a good thing when your trained track worker has the same maturity level as an amateur patron.

Knowing how to turn off your car in an emergency is something you should learn, especially in something 700+ hp that you intend to hurdle down a dragstrip.
                      rule you race with your windows up. that's a dumb rule

Comment

The track isn't under the obligation to keep personal property safe. It is under the obligation to keep people safe. Which is why all of the nhra and track rules are all about occupant and spectator safety.

The driver was out of the car and safe

Comment

Originally posted by scootro View Post
                          rule you race with your windows up. that's a dumb rule
                          It's because most cars dont have window nets, and limbs (or more) can fly out of a car in the case of a rollover.

Comment

Originally posted by 32vfromhell View Post
                            It's because most cars dont have window nets, and limbs (or more) can fly out of a car in the case of a rollover.
                            and hitting the guardrails

Comment

Working...
                            X