No announcement yet.

How to convert an atheist....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impose your will on them and hope for the best.

Comment

What's funny is if you look up "How to convert a Christian to an Athiest" it's the same exact thing, but you switch places of said religious beliefs. What the wiki should say is "Why do you want to change your friend? That's what his girlfriend/wife is for."
      "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

How?

A miracle or two gets about anybody. The bible has a great formula for making quick converts. Jesus went around showcasing miracles converting hundreds/thousands at a time. His twelve disciples went around showcasing miracles converting hundreds/thousands at a time. At least that's how the bible stories go.

Then what happened? They had a winning formula. Why change to this "let's talk about it" stuff.

You want to convert atheist, get back to the basics. Seeing is and always has been believing.

Comment

Jesus and His apostles had an extremely limited time in which to form and grow the Church. Miracles performed by Jesus Himself, aside from the obvious blessings they bestowed upon the recipients, both proved to His audience He was who He said He was and attracted multitudes more to hear His Word. His granting of authority to His apostles to perform miracles in His Name further enabled the Church to gain a foothold in lands outside of those in which Jesus Himself traveled. Had these miracles not been performed, the early Church might very well have not survived for more than a generation following His death and resurrection. They were obviously successful.

Comment

I've got some Hydrocodone in me right now, so excuse me if I missed the point here. However, I regard religion as a deeply personal matter. And there is nothing that pisses me off more than people who try to proselytize other individuals. I've vacillated my entire adult life between Catholicism and being agnostic. The only religion I take issue with are one's that cultivate hatred and promote violence. Outside of that. Stay out of other people's business.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustangman_2000 View Post
              I've got some Hydrocodone in me right now, so excuse me if I missed the point here. However, I regard religion as a deeply personal matter. And there is nothing that pisses me off more than people who try to proselytize other individuals. I've vacillated my entire adult life between Catholicism and being agnostic. The only religion I take issue with are one's that cultivate hatred and promote violence. Outside of that. Stay out of other people's business.
              It's not their personal business because the Bible instructs them to spread the word. So put the thesaurus down and get back to your 4 Lokos and Mikes Hard-on Lemonade.

Comment

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
                It's not their personal business because the Bible instructs them to spread the word. So put the thesaurus down and get back to your 4 Lokos and Mikes Hard-on Lemonade.
                Do you need a hug right now? You sound like you do.

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
                  .... Had these miracles not been performed, the early Church might very well have not survived for more than a generation following His death and resurrection. They were obviously successful.

I feel that this right here is what was created and broadcast by the church to maintain order and keep everyone in check. Much like Santa Claus.

Be good: Get toys/go to heaven
                  Be bad: lumps of coal/eternal damnation

Comment

Originally posted by Mustangman_2000 View Post
                    Do you need a hug right now? You sound like you do.
                    Lmao. Look at that! You didnt go off on one of your long winded diatribes. Looks like I cant fuck with you anymore...or you werent drunk when you posted this.

Comment

Lmao. Look at that! You didnt go off on one of your long winded diatribes. Looks like I cant fuck with you anymore...or you werent drunk when you posted this.
                      Yep, sober. Developing a e-commerce site for a client. Gotta pay the bills. However, catch me again after about 7pm and I might give you one those long winded diatribes. Then again, maybe not. Typing with a splint is a bitch.

Comment

Originally posted by CWO View Post
                        I feel that this right here is what was created and broadcast by the church to maintain order and keep everyone in check. Much like Santa Claus.
                        Keep everyone in check??? To what end?

The Bible clearly states man was created with free will, and the (true) Church follows the Bible. Therefore, the Church promotes said free will, so how is that a device to "keep everyone in check" as you stated?

Also, the Bible clearly states that one must invite Jesus into their lives, rather than He forcing Himself into one's life. Again, since the (true) Church follows the Bible, how is the Church promoting said invitation by one's own choosing "keeping everyone in check"?

Comment

Long winded? That's BrianC's forte.....

Comment

The Bible clearly states man was created with free will, and the (true) Church follows the Bible. Therefore, the Church promotes said free will, so how is that a device to "keep everyone in check" as you stated?

Also, the Bible clearly states that one must invite Jesus into their lives, rather than He forcing Himself into one's life. Again, since the (true) Church follows the Bible, how is the Church promoting said invitation by one's own choosing "keeping everyone in check"?
                            If there's only one true church, then why are there so many different denominations? And how does one determine that it is in fact the true church?

And in regards to keeping everyone in check, they (I can't think of a single mainstream religion that doesn't do this) say, in summary "Believe what I believe or go to hell." That looks like an attempt to keep everyone in check to me.

Comment

Oh yeah, the bible. The book written by men, only to be rewritten by men.

Another thing. There really isn't much of anything in that book that is very clear. That's probably why there are so many different religions and why people that believe in the bible can't even agree most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                                If there's only one true church, then why are there so many different denominations? And how does one determine that it is in fact the true church?

And in regards to keeping everyone in check, they (I can't think of a single mainstream religion that doesn't do this) say, in summary "Believe what I believe or go to hell." That looks like an attempt to keep everyone in check to me.
                                The Church to which I am referring is the body of believers in Jesus Christ, not a specific denomination. Think of the different Christian denominations this way: just like there are different parts of the human body, each with a different function, they all contribute in their own manner to the whole and no one body part can be considered "wrong" simply because it functions differently from the others.

With regard to keeping everyone in check, indeed Jesus is the only means to Salvation. There is no way to change that. Now, you or anyone else has the free will to accept that Salvation, and no Christian church or denomination can or will force you into doing so because the decision is yours and yours alone. That is not the case with some religions however, specifically when populations are required to follow a certain faith or face persecution by their state.

Comment

Working...
                                X