proper way to sell a gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
    BTW...if the cops come by ur place, i DID NOT purchase that xd40 from you!

god bless.
    Meh, I don't have you on records and it wasn't even registered to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Skidmark View Post
      Meh, I don't have you on records and it wasn't even registered to me.
      whew!!!

god bless.
      It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

From the ATF website

Q: To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?
        A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]
        So.. not just to anyone. You must know or reasonably believe that the buyer can legally have a gun in Texas. Who can legally have a gun in Texas?

Q: Are there certain persons who cannot legally receive or possess firearms and/or ammunition?
        Yes, a person who —

1.Has been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year;
        2.Is a fugitive from justice;
        3.Is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance;
        4.Has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to a mental institution;
        5.Is an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United States or an alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa;
        6.Has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions;
        7.Having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his or her citizenship;
        8.Is subject to a court order that restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of such intimate partner; or
        9.Has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence
        10.Cannot lawfully receive, possess, ship, or transport a firearm.
        A person who is under indictment or information for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year cannot lawfully receive a firearm.

Such person may continue to lawfully possess firearms obtained prior to the indictment or information.

[18 U.S.C. 922(g) and (n), 27 CFR 478.32]
        No documentation or records are required if you are not a licensed dealer. Some people do a bill of sale or make copies of your IDs but it's not really necessary. If you really want to cover your ass, do the hand off at a police station and ask them the run the serial number. If it checks out, then move on and never see or hear from the buyer again.
        Last edited by Leah; Yesterday at 10:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
          hand it over, and receive cash if you live in texas.

god bless.
          Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
          There is no registration of title 1 firearms in Texas. Sell it, make a bill of sale if you want to feel better about it.
          That's what I did. Definitely, write out a Bil of Sale and both of you sign it. You don't have to register a firearm in Texas.

Comment

If you are that hung up on it then have the buyer pay the FFL transfer fee.
            Here is a list of FFL holders in Texas, most have the fees listed as well.
            Search the GunBroker.com network for transfer agents near you. If you are a Federal Firearms License holder, consider joining the FFL Network.

Comment

Working...
            X