Colt Python

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colt Python

What do y'all think about the Colt Python 357mag?

I have heard they are one of the most tuned and tight actions made straight out of the box on a revolver.

What do you think I should have to pay for one in stainless with a 6" barrel in like new condition?

Thanks!
    2011 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Inaugural Edition
    2011 Harley Davidson F150
    2003 Harley Davidson Road King 100th Anniversary Edition

Originally posted by TexasVert View Post
    What do y'all think about the Colt Python 357mag?

I have heard they are one of the most tuned and tight actions made straight out of the box on a revolver.

What do you think I should have to pay for one in stainless with a 6" barrel in like new condition?

Thanks!
    I've owned a 2 1/2" (very rare) and a 6" before. As far as revolver's, they're aewsome. I imagine it'll take about a $1k to buy one.

Comment

My dads dream gun was a nickel plated 6" colt python. He never did get it. I have always wanting to get one.

Comment

The Colt Python is one of the elite revolvers.

Personally, I don't like the Colt cylinder release because you have to pull it to the rear with your thumb instead of pushing it forward like a S&W.

As stated, a used Colt Python in good condition will fetch $1000 easy.

Comment

If you look at www.gunbroker.com it looks like prices have gone up even more.

It looks like a decent Python is going anywhere from $1,300 and up.

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
            If you look at www.gunbroker.com it looks like prices have gone up even more.

It looks like a decent Python is going anywhere from $1,300 and up.
            It doesn't surprise me in the least. My 2 1/2" was Colt factory-tuned. I should have never sold it, but that's been 25 years ago, and who knew?

Comment

Yeah you can find some with a little wear and no box or papers for around $1000 or a little less but a good one is about $1300 and up that I have seen so far on gunsamerica.com. Just wanted to know if anyone knew of a better place to get one. I want it in nickle or stainless. High polish stainless would be the absolute best. With a 6" barrel.

I have a lot of guns in 44mag but the Anaconda is apparently not near the quality as the python. But I want to get an Anaconda too....

So many guns, so little money.... LOL

Comment

Yeah you can find some with a little wear and no box or papers for around $1000 or a little less but a good one is about $1300 and up that I have seen so far on gunsamerica.com. Just wanted to know if anyone knew of a better place to get one. I want it in nickle or stainless. High polish stainless would be the absolute best. With a 6" barrel.

I have a lot of guns in 44mag but the Anaconda is apparently not near the quality as the python. But I want to get an Anaconda too....

So many guns, so little money.... LOL
                I hear you LOL!

Comment

Go find one of these:

These guns are just as good as the Python but much cheaper. Honestly, I've shot both, and I don't see why people pay that much for the Python (other than the name, and the fact they are out of production).

I would much rather have a push forward cylinder release like on the S&W.

I carried a 4" .357 Magnum S&W Model 65 when I was a baby officer. My life depended on that gun, and if the department would let me carry it now, I'd toss this electric gun for a wheelgun.

Comment

I own one of the original numbered edition models with the 8" barrel polished, Some people refer to it as black chrome. It is by far the most accurate pistol I own. I shot a 5" group from 50 yards sitting on a chair screwing around last night. The earlier numbered editions will fetch around $1,500. You can find the later iterations around $1000, probably a shade more for one in great condition. In my opinion it is the best revolver made. If you're interested you're more than welcome to come shoot it sometime.

Last edited by CJ; 11-21-2010, 09:29 PM.
                    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                      I own the 8" barrel in polished blue, it's a number edition. The most accurate pistol I own.
                      Hate to bust your bubble, but anything with an 8" barrel is a rifle. It should be accurate

Comment

Go find one of these:

These guns are just as good as the Python but much cheaper. Honestly, I've shot both, and I don't see why people pay that much for the Python (other than the name, and the fact they are out of production).

I would much rather have a push forward cylinder release like on the S&W.

I carried a 4" .357 Magnum S&W Model 65 when I was a baby officer. My life depended on that gun, and if the department would let me carry it now, I'd toss this electric gun for a wheelgun.
                        Interesting.... I am having some work done on a 1911 by a guy that ran the Colt Custom Shop for several years before starting his own business/custom shop. He primarily works on Colt SAAs.

He said the Python was the best there is bar none in wheel guns. And when I mentioned the Anaconda he said it is not even close. The Python was made to much tighter specs. Then I asked about the Anaconda vs the SW, he said the Anaconda is superior to the SW even if it is not even close to the Python. So I cannot see how the SW 357 could be in the same class with the Python. I owned a 686 with a 6" barrel for several years and it was a good gun. But I never have had the Python to compare it to......

Comment

Hate to bust your bubble, but anything with an 8" barrel is a rifle. It should be accurate
                          Anything that is less is a waste of money. If you can't conceal carry it, why would you want to get stuck with a short barrel with less velocity and accuracy?
                          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Interesting.... I am having some work done on a 1911 by a guy that ran the Colt Custom Shop for several years before starting his own business/custom shop. He primarily works on Colt SAAs.

He said the Python was the best there is bar none in wheel guns. And when I mentioned the Anaconda he said it is not even close. The Python was made to much tighter specs. Then I asked about the Anaconda vs the SW, he said the Anaconda is superior to the SW even if it is not even close to the Python. So I cannot see how the SW 357 could be in the same class with the Python. I owned a 686 with a 6" barrel for several years and it was a good gun. But I never have had the Python to compare it to......
                            Wasn't the Python the .357 Mag and the Anaconda the .44 Mag?

If I remember right, the Dan Wesson revolvers were just as close tolerance as the Colts.

I would venture to say that you could not shoot a S&W any better than the Colt. What I mean to say that is unless you are an elite shooter, you won't be able to tell the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                              Anything that is less is a waste of money. If you can't conceal carry it, why would you want to get stuck with a short barrel with less velocity and accuracy?
                              What I don't want to carry around is a Joker gun.

It's just my personal opinion, but an 8" barrel is too long. Hell, you can touch the target with the front sight, how are you going to miss?

Handguns inherently lack the ability to take advantage of all the pressures and dynamics of total powder burn. That's just the nature of the beast with handguns. That's why rifles are so much better in a gunfight. They utilize all the energy available, and with a longer barrel are much more accurate.

Comment

Working...
                              X