No announcement yet.

So I want to build a long range rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next thing I am looking at is budget( somewhat ) glass. I'm leaning heavily towards Vortex Razor HD 5-20-50 with Vortex rings, or maybe a removable style. Any suggestions?

Comment

Budget?

Vortex Razors are nice, and also heavy!
      "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

In the 1500 price range a gen 1 razor can not be beat. Now the issue might be finding one if you are wanting to buy new.
        "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
          In the 1500 price range a gen 1 razor can not be beat. Now the issue might be finding one if you are wanting to buy new.
          I have found a couple on EBAY for that price.

Comment

From what I have read, you have to replace everything on the Remington to make it good so just buy a better rifle to begin with and save money in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by EW View Post
              From what I have read, you have to replace everything on the Remington to make it good so just buy a better rifle to begin with and save money in the long run.
              I've got my name on a couple waiting lists for the Ruger Precision, I just can't decide between the 6.5 or .308?

Comment

Originally posted by wickedblkgt View Post
                I've got my name on a couple waiting lists for the Ruger Precision, I just can't decide between the 6.5 or .308?
                6.5 Creedmoor...

It is a lot more capable at hitting targets at 1,000 yards and beyond. It also has less recoil so long shooting sessions will not be as fatiguing.
                "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

If $1500 is your buying point, I wouldn't call that budget glass. Anyway, I'd also take a look at the Bushnell Extreme Tactical DMRG2. You can pick one up used for $900-$1100.
                  Originally posted by Jester
                  Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
                  He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
                  Originally posted by Denny
                  What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
                  FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

6.5 Creedmoor. The .308 will beat you up if you're not running a can or a solid muzzle brake.
                    Originally posted by Jester
                    Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
                    He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
                    Originally posted by Denny
                    What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
                    FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                      6.5 Creedmoor. The .308 will beat you up if you're not running a can or a solid muzzle brake.
                      Tell me more, I eventually would like to run a suppressor, what will be the pros of running a can with the 6.5? Also how hard is it to get brass, because another learning curve is going to be that I am going to start to reload my own brass? I'm pretty excited, I talked to a shop today and they said they should have some as soon as 2 months:-):-):-)

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                        If $1500 is your buying point, I wouldn't call that budget glass. Anyway, I'd also take a look at the Bushnell Extreme Tactical DMRG2. You can pick one up used for $900-$1100.
                        I will look into that, I thought it was budget because I have seen some glass go for as much as $3500.

Comment

There is a comparison on YouTube between a accuracy international( I think ) and a Ruger precision, and for the for the price the Ruger came in ahead.
                          I want a comparison between the ruger and remington. Not counting glass, I bet you would spend less than half of what the ruger costs putting a decent stock and barrel on the remington. From that point I would like to see what rifle comes out on top and by how much. Only then would I be able to make my decision. I do like the mag flexibility of the ruger but 700s are just cool!

Comment

Originally posted by D. Lil View Post
                            I want a comparison between the ruger and remington. Not counting glass, I bet you would spend less than half of what the ruger costs putting a decent stock and barrel on the remington. From that point I would like to see what rifle comes out on top and by how much. Only then would I be able to make my decision. I do like the mag flexibility of the ruger but 700s are just cool!
                            A base 700 sps with a varmint contour barrel in 308 won't run you much. Add a B&C or HS stock with ptg bottom metal and a trigger of your choice. All that can be done close to the price of the Ruger. There is no need for a new barrel out of the gate unless you want a different caliber.

Comment

Getting more towards "budget" scopes, does anyone have any experience with the SWFA SS 4x20x50???

Comment

Getting more towards "budget" scopes, does anyone have any experience with the SWFA SS 4x20x50???
                                Great scope with awesome glass for the price. Downside is no zero stop.

Comment

Working...
                                X