4bangen's new rc tread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where are the new videos!!!
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it's in English thank a soldier.

Comment

Here's the newest one out as of right now. I've got two in the editor working right now. One is a build video and the other is just awesome.

Comment

Sneak peak of what's coming up, the Rocket Cuda' did something amazing. It flew faster than anything I've ever flown before, and it set a new unofficial speed record of 225mph right before it came apart at full speed! lol It was amazing!
        The next version has 2x the power, so I'm a little nervous.
        Next step will be getting some test flight's on the "Mother Bear" that is now almost ready to fly. it's going to be doing X1 stile air drops of the Rocket cuda' and we need to make sure its all going to go as planned every time. We will be doing some dry runs with non rocket cuda's and some glide tests with unloaded and loaded rocket cudas.
        this will all eventually lead to the real deal end of September in Rockdale when we go for 300mph. YIKES!
        Also been flying this awesome thing. It's a Lainesplanes.com Norman. It's normally white with cow spots, but I decided to make him a "P-Norman" haha. This thing flies like either you or the plane is drunk. I still haven't figured out if it's me or him. But he sure is fun to fly! I've ran more batteries through him lately than all of my other planes combined.
        well that's it for the update. enjoy a few pics.

Comment

I dig that last one.

These look like they'd be a lot of fun to make.

Comment

Here's some more updates on the Mother Bear. Got the landing gear on, got some extra bracing in place and started planning the wiring. This thing is really coming together. Hope to have it in the air soon.

There's actually a rocket in the tail of this BIG BIRD. Not so much for thrust, but because I think it will look awesome on lift off. I still have a lot of work to do, but the hard stuff is nearly all behind me.

After this I'm really wanting to put together a really big B-29. It's all I've been thinking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
              I dig that last one.

These look like they'd be a lot of fun to make.
              Me too. It's a friends design, I just painted it.

Comment

new video is out. wild and crazy day for sure.

Comment

Okay,
                  So I now have all the electronics for the 2x powered Rocket Cuda. I'll be building it this week, I also ordered some fiberglass cloth. I decided the only way to stiffen up the plane and do away with the leading edge flutter that brought down the last one is going to be fiberglass. I'm also thinking the glass will smooth out the wings a bit and let it go even faster. Another battle I'm fighting is finding a compact light GPS tracker to put on board so we can advertise an official speed rather than an estimated speed. If you have any leads on that let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by 4bangen View Post
                    new video is out. wild and crazy day for sure.
                    Best video yet. I want to see one in fiberglass with a thinner airfoil..... ought to fly really fast. Go really light on the epoxy and then use a lot of microballoons to keep it light as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
                      Best video yet. I want to see one in fiberglass with a thinner airfoil..... ought to fly really fast. Go really light on the epoxy and then use a lot of microballoons to keep it light as possible.
                      fiberglass should be here today. We underestimated our speed calculations on the video, we believe we went 225mph the other day, and the second one, (if it stays together) may reach speeds of 371mph. We are currently looking at different GPS trackers so we can get real numbers.

oh and what I left out of the video, a half acre brush fire started very close to the scene of the crash, I don't know how it started, it was the strangest thing. surely it had nothing to do with the demise of my Rocket powered aircraft.

On a completely independent train of thought, I purchased a 20lb fire extinguisher that will be travelling with me to the field from now on.

Comment

Been working on wiring lately. I now have full GPS telemetry on both planes. Working on setting up the duel igniters on their own channels so they can fire independently. Will be doing some testing with smaller motors first to make sure all is good before we go full send.

The big hurtle here is keeping the air frame together at speed. I will be working on this with the single motor ship. I've got a few ideas I'm going to try, that don't require completely fiber glassing the airframe.

I've got a few of these planes now. lol

Comment

looking good sir.
                          If you can read this thank a teacher. If it's in English thank a soldier.

Comment

Seems like a very large control surface for that much speed...
                            Originally posted by stevo
                            Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by The Sarge View Post
                              looking good sir.
                              thank you
                              Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
                              Seems like a very large control surface for that much speed...
                              Oh it's far to large. lol But I'm working the stock airframe right now. I may have him send me a wing without the elevons cut in if it gives me a problem. But for know I an doing as few mods as I can get away with.

Comment

Here's a quick video I threw together from Sunday. We'd hoped to have an epic rc battle with two B-17's but the weekend got away from us and it rained all day Monday. We did manage to squeeze in a short flight between all the rain though.
                                The plan for the next video is to take both B-17's with this camera setup, put streamers on each wing tip, and do combat. The goal will be to cut both of the other guys streamers, but knowing us it will end in a mid air collision. lol

anyway, here it is!

Comment

Working...
                                X