2019 Ram HD 1,000 Lb-Ft Torque

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
    We all thought the same thing about tesla. The vast majority of pickup owners never tow anything and the people buying 100K f150s arent doing it because they need a 400 mile range.

Edit: and it looks like an electric truck will likely have a 400 mile range in the first place.
    Newsflash, we all still think the same thing about Teslas. They still don't have much range and then take 30 minutes to charge.

Fuck all that

On top of that the company is dying a slow horrible death because they don't really make any money.
    Originally posted by racrguy
    What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
    Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by JV106 View Post
      They gotta get the suspension figured out too. Daily driving a 3/4 or 1 ton is brutal with it unloaded. Then you add in the fact that you already need a commercial DL to pull far less than these trucks can handle... makes me believe these trucks are just hot rods with 4 wheel drive. I like it.
      Put 500 lbs of shit in the bed and they ride great. But I hear what you are saying there.
      What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?

Comment

I think my 2017 f250 rides really well. It eats the hell out of the back tires. I like that they keep playing the HP war. They hold them back and bump them a little at a time. My 17 will be my first non deleted/modified diesel. Beyond quite, fast, tows well.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
          Newsflash, we all still think the same thing about Teslas. They still don't have much range and then take 30 minutes to charge.

Fuck all that

On top of that the company is dying a slow horrible death because they don't really make any money.

Fair enough. I should have added in that a bunch of meat eaters on a muscle car forum are no longer a good representation of America.

Tesla did just announce another big layoff and damn are their cars ugly. They are now due for a refresh and I cant imagine how much that will distract from just making money.

Edit: on a side note, I dont know how they keep engineers. They've been trying for years to recruit me and every damn time they announce a layoff not more than 9 months after.

Comment

The extra torque and horsepower for this new Dodge is just another incremental step. I have no doubt they can turn that engine up to 1,500 ft. lbs and have it live.
            Mechanically they can do it. It's all about warranty accruals and emissions. There's guys out there daily driving 700 hp / 1500 ft-lb 6.7 trucks right now, but they likely don't have to do a sniffer test, much less EPA certification level testing.

On the electric front, one day someone will figure out the pickup truck market. I do think that Ford jumping in will force other big players to follow. I came across this list today. These are the latest EV investment commitments from OEMs

Volkswagen Group: $91 billion
            Daimler: $42 billion
            Hyundai/Kia: $20 billion
            Changan (China): $15 billion
            Toyota: $13.5 billion
            Ford: $11 billion
            Fiat Chrysler: $10 billion
            Nissan: $10 billion
            Renault: $10 billion
            Tesla: $10 billion
            GM: $8 billion
            Great Wall (China): $8 billion
            BMW/Mini: $6.5 billion
            GAC (China): $6.5 billion
            Anhui Jianghuai Automobile (JAC, China): $6 billion
            Mahindra (India): $5.5 billion
            Geely (China): $5 billion
            SAIC (China): $5 billion
            Dongfeng (China): $4.5 billion
            BYD (China): $3.86 billion
            BAIC (China): $2.45 billion
            Jaguar Land Rover: $2.34 billion
            Tata (India): $0.9 billion
            PSA Peugeot Citroen: $0.77 billion
            Volvo: $0.725 billion
            Honda: $0.545 billion
            Chery (China): $0.435 billion
            FAW (China): $0.25 billion
            Mazda: $0.25 billion

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
              How far are we from having electric trucks towing 15,000+ pounds?
              Not pure EV, but 6.2L V8 power for towing + reduced local emissions and efficiency gains with electric assistance.
              They have a hybrid F150 that got 25% MPG increase, PHEV F150 that got 50% increase, their hybrid F250 was +25%... PHEV F250 reveal next month should have some solid numbers.

XL to unveil PHEV Ford F-250 at The Work Truck Show

XL continues its streak of impressive growth with the announcement of a plug-in hybrid Ford F-250 pickup that will be revealed next month at The Work Truck Show in Indianapolis, Ind.

The truck is the latest addition in XL’s growing plug-in hybrid electric (PHEV) product family, which also includes the PHEV Ford F-150 that the company began shipping in 2018 to municipal and utility fleets including CPS Energy, Tacoma Public Utility, City of Palo Alto and several more.

As with the PHEV F-150, which provides up to a 50 percent MPG improvement and 33 percent CO2 emissions reduction, the PHEV F-250 includes a driveshaft-mounted electric motor powered by a lithium ion battery pack that can be charged using standard level 1 and 2 chargers.

The truck also features regenerative braking, enabling it to store energy in the battery during deceleration and then use that energy to help propel the vehicle during acceleration.

Because the XL plug-in hybrid electric system works in parallel with the factory gas-powered engine, fleets need not be concerned over range, performance or infrastructure requirements. XL’s arrangement with Ford through its eQVM certification program ensures that all standard OEM warranties on the vehicle will remain intact.

Product specs will be available at XL’s booth (#3175) during The Work Truck Show where the PHEV F-250 will be on display. XL will reveal the truck during a press conference in its booth on Wednesday, March 6 at 3:40 p.m. For more information about the PHEV F-250, including early access to the details that will be made available at the show, visit www.xlfleet.com/PHEV-F250.

Comment

yay!!! more brodozers pulling trailer rigs that are way too big for that platform.

Comment

I was hinting at the idea that all you need is a better transmission and drivetrain and this engine will already do it with more boost. All of that will be added in later years. In fact they are already on that path by getting rid of the stick shift transmission which was torque limited.
                  Upping the boost does ZERO to the hp the engine makes save for a very small increase in thermal efficiency from having a higher dynamic compression ratio.
                  Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

This whole electric pickup just might happen - Amazon just committed to a $700 million investment in Rivian. (GM was also in the talks but backed at at the last minute)

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                      Upping the boost does ZERO to the hp the engine makes save for a very small increase in thermal efficiency from having a higher dynamic compression ratio.
                      I missed this golden comment from our resident engine building expert.

Comment

I missed this golden comment from our resident engine building expert.
                        Are you asserting that my statement was incorrect? I can back it with buckets of data. Have you ever read the multi volume tome titled " The internal combustion engine in theory and in practice" or have logged a few thousand hours of time running a dyno like I have? Are you a member of the SAE like I am?

I'll break it down for you real quick. Air has no fuel in it, without burning fuel you get zero work. Raising the boost on a gasoline engine puts more air into the cylinder that allows you to burn more fuel. Boost by itself does absolutely nothing. Diesel engines operate differently than an otto cycle gasoline engine. They are not throttled, to control the engine you limit the fuel that goes into it. There is an excess of oxygen in the combustion event in a diesel engine. Raising the Boost in a diesel engine is what is done to control exhaust gas temperature and only on the extreme end is it there to provide extra oxygen for the combustion event. When I made the comment that you are denigrating I was talking specifically about the diesel engine being discussed.

It is also possible to raise boost AKA manifold absolute pressure without putting more air into the engine. Absolute pressure and air mass are not linear.

Edit: I bet you even believe that an aftercooler puts more air into an engine.
                        Last edited by svauto-erotic855; 02-20-2019, 10:47 AM.
                        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I mean, if you want to nit pick, sure, but upping the boost without fuel is correct, but I made a level headed assumption that adding boost and adding fuel would go hand in hand.
                          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                            I mean, if you want to nit pick, sure, but upping the boost without fuel is correct, but I made a level headed assumption that adding boost and adding fuel would go hand in hand.
                            On a diesel engine you don't have to up the Boost when you up the fuel. The only reason you need to up the Boost is to lower exhaust gas temperature into a safe range.

I have two engineering degrees, I nitpick everything.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                              On a diesel engine you don't have to up the Boost when you up the fuel. The only reason you need to up the Boost is to lower exhaust gas temperature into a safe range.

I have two engineering degrees, I nitpick everything.
                              so you kinda have to...
                              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                                so you kinda have to...
                                Not automatically. You have to measure the EGT under a worst case load and environmental conditions and make efforts to lower it if it is above the threshold that you want it to be at. Diesel engines will happily make all the power in the world without missing a lick right up until the exhaust valves melt or break. As a matter of fact, on every engine the limiting factor for the power that you can make is the exhaust valve temperature assuming the block and bottom end can handle the stress. This applies to gasoline engines as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X