TV? Anyone bought a new OLED?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV? Anyone bought a new OLED?

Seems that only LG, Sony are making these TV's. I've had my Panasonic plasma for 10yrs, it still has a great picture, but I was looking to upgrade, any thoughts?
    Originally posted by Silverback
    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Samsung QLED, same technology, different brand. We have one in the front room, it is kick-ass.

Comment

I've got a 65" OLED in the living room and it is a phenomenal TV. I notice a marked difference over my LED 4k TCL and Samsung in picture clarity, motion, and color.
      2012 GT500

Comment

I'll just leave this right here.

There are concerns about OLED long-term performance due to the possibility of burn-in. We bought 6 LG OLED C7s to play real, non-altered content. It should give you a better idea of what to expect depending on what you watch on your TV.

A months-long OLED TV burn-in test on LG models show that after 4,000 hours, logos and static images were vulnerable to permanent image retention, much less than the South Korea electronic company's assertion of 30,000 hours.

LG's OLED TV on display in front of hundreds of industry associates at a prestigious industry tradeshow has shown signs of prominent burn-in, ZDNet has learned.

Comment

how bout qled
          WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
            how bout qled
            Same thing, just renamed for brand recognition.

Comment

Some of you guys have bad info and are now spreading it.

OLED and QLED are not even close to the same.

OLED is A true organic LED that emits it’s own light using organic, electroluminescent material.

QLED uses backlight, and is actually more like LCD technology.

OLED is actually a new material/technology, and is generally considered to be the new bees knees, and far superior to QLED.

QLED is a Samsung-specific term that they cleverly came up with to do exactly what it has done, and that’s to make people believe it’s almost the same thing as OLED. It’s not.

That said, I can’t justify the price difference. Huge QLEDs are quite affordable, while similar OLEDs are more than twice as much, in some cases. My next one will probably be QLED, unless the OLEDs come down soon.
              Last edited by jluv; 02-04-2019, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
                Some of you guys have bad info and are now spreading it.

OLED and QLED are not even close to the same.

OLED is A true organic LED that emits it’s own light using organic, electroluminescent material.

QLED uses backlight, and is actually more like LCD technology.

OLED is actually a new material/technology, and is energy considered to be the new bees knees, and far superior to QLED.

QLED is a Samsung-specific term that they cleverly came up with to do exactly what it has done, and that’s to make people believe it’s almost the same thing as OLED. It’s not.

That said, I can’t justify the price difference. Huge QLEDs are quite affordable, while similar OLEDs are twice as much, in some cases. My next one will probably be QLED, unless the OLEDs come down soon.
                Yep, OLED is the shit, but expensive as fuck.

Comment

LOL, I'm in the same boat... My panasonic plasma is now 11 and works fine. Of course it also helps heat the living room in the winter. I've been ogling the OLED/QLEDs a lot here recently.

Comment

Thanks Jared, in my research I did see that Samsung has their QLED brand and it is deceiving when compared to OLED.
                    So far it is the only tech (OLED) that has come close to plasma TV's as far as picture quality. After doing some in depth research I also see that OLED panels are made by LG for the other big name OLED users, namely Sony. Of course they are more $$$ but you are paying for the better electronics, though I'm not sure that it is worth the extra skrilla they are asking.

And a thanks to Txred too, a lot of very good information in those links you provided. After reading all of that info, it seems if you are not a gamer or watch CNN (which I do neither) burn in is only noticeable in certain saturations of color.

I was going to try and take advantage of the SB sales, but I might wait til later in the year or even this time next year to get a OLED. LG just came out with their newest chipset but its still up there close to $3k, while their out going models are $2k. My Pana plasma is still working fine and like 71 John stated, its keeping my house heated for the winter...
                    Originally posted by Silverback
                    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

I had a 7yr old LG Plasma pass away last year. I was disappointed to have to go to lcd because of motion blur. I think oled will be ready for mainstream soon, but it's not here yet, this is just my $.02 from experience with mobile devices and elements of the UI becoming permanently "burned in".

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                        I think oled will be ready for mainstream soon, but it's not here yet, this is just my $.02 from experience with mobile devices and elements of the UI becoming permanently "burned in".
                        You should see my Galaxy S8... youtube has burned it pretty badly. Of course, after the damage was done they come out with a dark mode that would have helped reduce the burn a little.

Comment

far superior to QLED
                          They're superior in a couple of ways, but inferior in a couple of ways too. They can get screen burn in, that old and worrisome issue. They also can't get as bright, which for some people may be a deal breaker. Then again some will say you don't need it because its bright enough, but if "bright enough" ain't bright enough, you're outta luck.

They're superior with the blacks and the awesome viewing angle freedom. But apparently samsung has made such great strides with old fashioned qled, that some people can't tell much difference in blacks, or picture quality. Not just people with bad vision, the gap between the two has been closed by a lot.

Been reading up cause I want to buy one of those 85" samsungs this year for the living room. Replace my 10 year old 65" Mitsubishi DLP
                          WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                            Been reading up cause I want to buy one of those 85" samsungs this year for the living room. Replace my 10 year old 65" Mitsubishi DLP
                            I don’t know. Everything I’ve read plainly says that when comparing apples to apples (set up properly, not trying to burn your eyeballs with brightness), OLED is supposed to blow QLED away. Not just blacker blacks, but better colors, too. Burn-in would bug me, though, so hopefully that’s something they can overcome by the time the prices get reasonable. I loved my old plasma TVs (still have one), but the burn-in was a bitch.

So you’re going with 8k QLED? That sucker is $15 grand!

I’ve been looking at the biggest Samsung 4K QLED, which is 82”, and then the LG 86” LED (not OLED). It will replace a 10 year old 73” DLP, so I’m sure either one is going to blow me away. I have like a 5 or 6 year old 60” in my man cave, and the picture is soooo much better.

Comment

I don’t know. Everything I’ve read plainly says that when comparing apples to apples (set up properly, not trying to burn your eyeballs with brightness), OLED is supposed to blow QLED away. Not just blacker blacks, but better colors, too. Burn-in would bug me, though, so hopefully that’s something they can overcome by the time the prices get reasonable. I loved my old plasma TVs (still have one), but the burn-in was a bitch.

So you’re going with 8k QLED? That sucker is $15 grand!

I’ve been looking at the biggest Samsung 4K QLED, which is 82”, and then the LG 86” LED (not OLED). It will replace a 10 year old 73” DLP, so I’m sure either one is going to blow me away. I have like a 5 or 6 year old 60” in my man cave, and the picture is soooo much better.
                              My wife slapped me in the chest when I suggested the 15k tv.

Comment

Working...
                              X