• Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Comment

• Ma'am, it's "do your EARS hang low, do they wobble to and fro."

Comment

• Thats actually very disturbing.

Comment

• Can't beat them, Join their NEW message board !!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bputacoma View Post
              I've seen some of the new ways kids are taught to do simple math, shit it crazy.
              sigpic

Comment

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by 0393gt View Post
                    I've seen some of the new ways kids are taught to do simple math, shit it crazy.
                    If my kid comes home with that "common core" bullshit, I will be standing in the principal's office the next day demanding that they fire the teacher who is trying to destroy my child's logic.

Comment

fucked up math picture
                      If I had a kid, and they brought that home, I would immediately look into home-schooling, so that they could be taught how to do math correctly.

That, or blow up the school admin building.
                      "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

• It's not right or wrong; it's just another way to look at a simple arithmetic operation. In this case, it's just an application of the substitution and associative properties that IMO makes mental math easier. Since they're still learning the basics, it's best to start off small with numbers they can understand and work their way up to the more difficult numbers that this would actually be used for.

What's 1234567 + 9999? It's 1234567 + (10000 - 1) = (1234567 + 10000) - 1 = 1244567 - 1 = 1244566
                        What's 37 x 25? It's 37 x (100 / 4) = (37 / 4) x 100 = 9.25 x 100 = 925
                        Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                        HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

• Of course you can round number to make them easier to add or subtract and the un-round them back, but the question didn't make much logical sense and the answer the teacher gave to get it was ridiculous.

Comment

• Originally posted by line-em-up View Post
                            Of course you can round number to make them easier to add or subtract and the un-round them back, but the question didn't make much logical sense and the answer the teacher gave to get it was ridiculous.
                            The question was worded poorly but the teacher's response was right on.
                            Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                            HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

• Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
                              It's not right or wrong; it's just another way to look at a simple arithmetic operation. In this case, it's just an application of the substitution and associative properties that IMO makes mental math easier. Since they're still learning the basics, it's best to start off small with numbers they can understand and work their way up to the more difficult numbers that this would actually be used for.

What's 1234567 + 9999? It's 1234567 + (10000 - 1) = (1234567 + 10000) - 1 = 1244567 - 1 = 1244566
                              What's 37 x 25? It's 37 x (100 / 4) = (37 / 4) x 100 = 9.25 x 100 = 925
                              If you want the kids to learn this, then ask them something like 999 + 17? It's easy for them to see that 999 + 17 = 1000 + 16. That way they learn to move numbers to get simple numbers. I just went through this with my 11 year old and proportions. My wife teaches at his school, and I came unglued seeing some of the problems. We were even watching videos his math teacher posted of her working problems. It made no fucking sense. The beauty of math is that you always have a right answer and set ways to get to it. Sure, there are some shortcuts, especially for mental math, but that problem was not one.

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
                              The question was worded poorly but the teacher's response was right on.
                              Her answer wasn't spot on since it didn't answer the question. 8 + 5 = 13, not 10. Also, 10 + 3 = 13, not 10. The question sucked and so did her answer.

Comment

• agreed... question and answer suck

any intelligent person utilizes those techniques to some extent... but forcing EVERYBODY to use them when adding shit like 8 & 5 just to try to get through to a few morons who will never use them later in life is ridiculous
                                http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Working...
                                X