TV antenna recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV antenna recommendations

I'm looking for an outdoor antenna to help grab a few local channels. Anyone have a recommendation on something? Stopped at bestbuy this morning and they wanted $80-150 with only a 60 mile range. Browsing online I'm seeing some for $40-50 that says it has a 120 mile range. Anyway to weed brought the bs and get a decent one for a reasonable price?

I ditched satellite about 2 years ago now and have read all the reviews and purchased about 7 antennas in search for the perfect one and let me tell you they pretty much all suck ass equally.

The one to go with is the Antennas Direct ClearStream

I just picked this one up but haven't installed it yet b/c I just haven't been watching much TV at all lately. Their prices are currently about $20 off across the board except for the 70 mile range

Comment

Right on, that's the same one bestbuy had.

Comment

Originally posted by hxbernal View Post
        I ditched satellite about 2 years ago now and have read all the reviews and purchased about 7 antennas in search for the perfect one and let me tell you they pretty much all suck ass equally.

The one to go with is the Antennas Direct ClearStream

I just picked this one up but haven't installed it yet b/c I just haven't been watching much TV at all lately. Their prices are currently about $20 off across the board except for the 70 mile range
        That's a pretty good antenna.

Comment

Line of site is going to have more to do with the distance than any sort of powered antenna. Pick a good install spot and get any decent antenna. I use https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IF70T4M but I also only watch local tv whenever the weather is bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackpony View Post
            Right on, that's the same one bestbuy had.
            It's a great antenna. Do you know how far you are from the antenna farm in your area? I'm approximately 40mi away and have tree obstructions and haven't had an issue. Just make sure to seal your outside coax connections so moisture does not get in, which can cause signal deviation. Depending on your distance, you may be able to get away with an indoor/ off-the-TV type antenna.

Comment

I have a mohu leaf (the flat square, flexible one) stuck to the wall in my master closet. I get a ton of channels clearly. I'm in Prosper.

Comment

We don't have a good line of sight, sorta in a valley with a good amount of trees. I have a metal house so I need an out door unit, I almost lose all cell service inside the house, soon as I step out I full bars..

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
                  It's a great antenna. Do you know how far you are from the antenna farm in your area? I'm approximately 40mi away and have tree obstructions and haven't had an issue. Just make sure to seal your outside coax connections so moisture does not get in, which can cause signal deviation. Depending on your distance, you may be able to get away with an indoor/ off-the-TV type antenna.
                  Not sure how far away, I am on the north side of Van alstyne right off 75.

Comment

Approx 60 miles away. Antennas are located in Cedar Hill. Depending on what's in the way, you may need one of those ginormous bitches mounted above the roof.

Coworker of mine uses this antenna:

With this booster:

Comment

Meh think Ill just give one of these others a try and see. Honestly if I can get 10 and 12 which are local texoma channels, ill be good with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackpony View Post
                        Meh think Ill just give one of these others a try and see. Honestly if I can get 10 and 12 which are local texoma channels, ill be good with that.
                        Out of the many cheapies I've tried I had good luck and still use this Stanley in my bedroom https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Digit...dp/B01FWKIG44I picked it up from Fry's for $4.99.

It picks up the same exact channels as my $40 Amplified Monster that also plugs into the wall which I think is complete bullshit btw https://www.walmart.com/ip/Monster-M...enna/160547149

Comment

It has more to do with line of site than being powered. You're not going to be able to pickup UHF/VHF if there is a lot of shit in the way, its just the way it is. All the added power does is add gain to the signal.

Comment

Originally posted by abecx View Post
                            It has more to do with line of site than being powered. You're not going to be able to pickup UHF/VHF if there is a lot of shit in the way, its just the way it is. All the added power does is add gain to the signal.
                            I know all about that...what I'm saying is the $40 Monster is 3x the size of the Stanley and at the time the most expensive antenna I had bought. I tried it without the amp at first and received a handful of channels. The moment I plugged in the amp I now received all the channels my $5 non amplified Stanley receives...

Comment

I had this one when I lived in Little Elm. I installed it in my attic, and still got every local station and even pulled in several from Oklahoma. It worked bad ass, and no booster.

Channel Master (CM 3020) is an outdoor digital TV antenna that allows you to receive UHF, VHF, FM and HD signals up to 100 miles away & get local channels.

Comment

Working...
                              X