black2002ls Model Car Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
    Well, I went, I saw, I won a couple trophies, I left feeling......robbed.

I will post pictures with each build with their plaque at some point.

There wasn't a person that I interacted with that wasn't in awe of the #11 car. I knew at the very least it would win the pavement competition class, and I was hopeful for a masters award. Masters awards were for the following:

Best paint job
    Best chassis detail
    Best engine bay
    Best of show

Paint job was out, a black car, with 2 part clear that had issues.

Chassis and engine bay, a little surprised I didn't win either of those.

Best of show. It went to a mildly detailed studebaker pick-up. Now, to be fair, the build was damn near perfect, not a flaw in any of the added details. However, the level of detail pretty much stopped at some machined aluminum additions.

I take some solace in the fact that my biggest fear came to life. The areas of the build that were rushed and sloppy cost me a masters award, cost me Best of Show.

I learned a lot with the race car. A lot that I will employ on future extreme builds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Not to be blunt, but that's BS. That looks like an almost replica of a car that he would've used at that race. If you take that car, and look at the actual cars on that track on that day. It's very close.

Sorry to kinda go off, but that much of detail for a car for Martinsville should've won
    Los Angeles Rams 11-5
    Last Game - Loss vs. San Fransisco
    Up Next - vs. Atlanta

2017 NFC West Division Champions

Comment

Originally posted by pHILSANITY07 View Post
      Not to be blunt, but that's BS. That looks like an almost replica of a car that he would've used at that race. If you take that car, and look at the actual cars on that track on that day. It's very close.

Sorry to kinda go off, but that much of detail for a car for Martinsville should've won
      You won't get any disagreement from me!

Unfortunately, because I won the pavement comp class, I may be ineligible for any awards with that build at any future IPMS show :/

Originally posted by Leah
      Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Well I checked with scale fest, and I am good to go! I will try again June 2nd.

Comment

That car looks great, can’t wait to see how mine turns out!
          "You don't so much drive it, more like poke it with a sharp stick and channel the fury when you piss it off."

FFL & LTC Instructor
          http://firstresponsefirearms.com/
          Factory Five MK4 Cobra
          Build thread-http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17889
          http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/BlitzAttack65/
          www.wix.com/cdurhamwot/blitzattack-mk4-build
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 01yz2nv View Post
            That car looks great, can’t wait to see how mine turns out!
            Thanks! Yours is next up. I'm cleaning up and organizing the work bench, then it'll get going! I convinced a guy to draw some Good Year billboards in 3d to be printed, I just need to measure the wheels so he can size them correctly

Last edited by black2002ls; 03-12-2018, 01:08 PM.

Comment

So, this happened this weekend. I have been trying to clear out kits and parts that I don't need or will probably ever build. While looking for some packing tape to box stuff up to ship, I realized I never actually mounted the light above my wife's craft desk. I took over her desk during my big push to get things done for the showdown, and that was whrre the Denny Hamlin car ended up, waiting to be put into an acrylic case for protection.

I didn't laugh, I didn't cry, I didn't even hulk smash. I just stood there, in utter shock. Thankfully the damage is minimal and easily repaired. It did split the back window in two, however, I have one on its way.

Comment

I tasked myself with cleaning up the hobby room and organizing the workbench before I really get started on anything else. Pegboard, new lights, reference computer up and running, etc.

I will be starting on a Cobra build for 01yz2nv tonight. Dropping the body in brake fluid to strip it back down to plastic and clean up some molding issues.

Comment

Sucks about the crash. Glad it's not too major.

Congrats on the wins, even if they weren't the ones you had your eye on.

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
                    Sucks about the crash. Glad it's not too major.

Congrats on the wins, even if they weren't the ones you had your eye on.
                    Yeah. It could have been MUCH worse. No body damage, just a broken window and some things dislodged.

The show was a learning experience. Hopefully what I have planned for next year, they will contend just the same!

For my first build after 10 years, I was extremely happy to be one of 3 considered for best of show.

Comment

Would you be able to replicate the Paxton Novi I have on my car now? It wasn’t on in the engine pics I sent you. If so I’ll have to send you some pics when I have everything buttoned up.
                      "You don't so much drive it, more like poke it with a sharp stick and channel the fury when you piss it off."

FFL & LTC Instructor
                      http://firstresponsefirearms.com/
                      Factory Five MK4 Cobra
                      Build thread-http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17889
                      http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/BlitzAttack65/
                      www.wix.com/cdurhamwot/blitzattack-mk4-build
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 01yz2nv View Post
                        Would you be able to replicate the Paxton Novi I have on my car now? It wasn’t on in the engine pics I sent you. If so I’ll have to send you some pics when I have everything buttoned up.
                        Should be able to. I know there are several people who offer 3d printed centrifugal supercharges. Worst case, I can modify one of those.

Comment

Some of you may remember this from the old board. I think it was the old board. It was brought up in one of my Facebook groups. My old foxbody coupe master. Tje mold I had made turned out to be junk and at the time I didn't have the money, or connections, to get a new mold made.

The more I looked at the few decent bodies I got, which still needed considerable amounts of work to be usable, the more I didn't like the molding around the rear quarter windows and the back glass. I deciced I would set out to correct it. Unfortunately, all of my stuff got packed up, Revell released their LX coupe, and I abandoned it.

Well, it was mentioned in the tbread on FB that the Revell coupe was a bit of an abomination. The top appeared severely chopped.

Tonight I pulled out my master and compared it to the Revell piece, and they were right, the roof was horrible. Their other details were great, but that roof.

So, I have decided to add this to my 2018 projects. Correct the details on my master and make a mold, or have one made.

You can also see the hood for my 03 Cobra conversion in the pic

Comment

I've been working on the quarter window on the coupe. I feel like it is getting close. The overall size and the opening size feel right. I need to pick up some styrene stock for the "gasket". The original version had a raised frame, which I wasn't happy with. I'm wanting to end up with something that is almost flush with the body panels so that it resembles the weatherstripping more so than a drip rail! My plan for this is to attach some styrene strip and sand it down to where I need it.

You can see in this picture that this cast is pretty rough, lots of air bubbles. I'm working on filling those as well. Once I give it a once over with filler and get it cleaned up, I will strip it down again and hit it with some moon mud (a high build primer, sold by a scale finishes company. I believe it is dupont variprime). Once that is done, I will sand it out with 1K paper to give it a smooth finish, clear with urethane clear, and then it will be ready to make a mold. I'm also planning on making a mold for the front and rear bumpers to be able to convert the 1/24 Revell GT and convertible GT to LX models.

Coments please!

Comment

There has to be an army of folks dying to get a model version of their coupe. Totally underserved part of the market.

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
                                There has to be an army of folks dying to get a model version of their coupe. Totally underserved part of the market.
                                That is exactly where this conversion started. So many awesome coupes for inspiration, and at the time, there was only one option available, that was out of production making it expensive and hard to find.

Now, Revell has released the '90 LX coupe, however, it is an abomination. The detail from the tops of the doors down was good, the roof however was a different story. It appears that it was chopped 2-3 inches.

I had a list of about 20 people who were in line for this when it was complete. I got the master completed, sent it out for a mold, then waited. Once I got it back, the gentleman who made the mold used some scraps of silicone to save $$ for him and myself. Unfortunately, some of those scraps settled extremely close to the roof and caused casing issues. The roof was EXTREMELY wavy, resulting in a product that I could not sell at full value to my interested parties. So, I cast and sold LX conversion bumpers for the GT and convertible kits. Then, the more I looked at my master, the more I realized there were a few things that just weren't right. So, I saved one of the last casts I pulled from the mold and started correcting it. Here is where I'm at. Thankfully, I still have the mold if I eff this one up I can MAYBE re-cast another. Once I have some suitably sized styrene strip on hand, this will finish up pretty quick, then it is on to making a mold and hoping I don't screw it up!

Comment

Working...
                                X