Feeding the paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeding the paint

Has anyone heard of using Murphy's oil ( 1 TBSP per gallon ) on their car when washing it? I was told several years back that using some sort of oil-based product is important to help "feed" the paint ( the argument is basically that paint is a petroleum based product ...so the idea is to put moisture ( oil ) back into the paint so it doesn't dry, crack, fade, etc... ). I've also heard of people using Pledge to basically do the same thing. That being said, I've often wondered why we wax our cars when wax is inheritantly a sticky substance that attracts and adheres dirt. So, for the Pros out there, straighten me out on this one!

Thanks,
    Jeff

It is a petroleum based product and it does need to be protected, but thats why they make a slew of automotive cleaners and wax's (natural and synthetic). I guess if you wanted to you could, I wouldn't though. That stuff is made to penetrate wood, that is very porous.
    Another thing is some oily stuff on pant might be OK, but if it is a nightmare in paint shops. I don't allow ANY type of oil products in the paint shop, armorall, oil, 3-in-1, compressor/air tool oil, WD40, etc. I have fired mofos for spraying armorall on tires near the shop.
    Originally posted by Silverback
    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Thanks.

Found what I was looking for here:

read http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ge-paints.html

Go about half way down and see the pictures with the nickel in them. It talks about the oil that penetrates back into the paint.

-Jeff

Comment

What you found was someone restoring a single stage paint. I guess if you were a restorer this would work out great for a car (like that lincoln) that has been sitting in a storage/grage for years and the paint has been neglected but has not reached the deterioation level yet. Today all cars are BC/CC in rare occasions some mfg. have used SS refinishing process but even then its a urathane SS, in other words its a CC with tint in its usually blacks, reds or whites.
        Most all CC or SS paints are catylized to a hardness that can last years unprotected. Swirl marks can be removed with buffing pads and most polishes and then a wax of your choosing to help protect it.
        Originally posted by Silverback
        Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Working...
        X