No announcement yet.

Calming the mind before an interview?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been officially notified that I have indeed made the final cut, and will be doing an in-depth interview with the entire team "soon." I'll get to implement these suggestions one more time, in the mean-time, the wait killing me.

Comment

the waiting is the hardest part

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
        I've been officially notified that I have indeed made the final cut, and will be doing an in-depth interview with the entire team "soon." I'll get to implement these suggestions one more time, in the mean-time, the wait killing me.
        Good luck! I'm sure I'm not telling you something you don't already know, but what has always helped me is showing enthusiasm for the work in addition to the job skills. A lot of people focus only on showing how good they are, and not how passionate they are about performing well. Obviously you're in the best position of already having a good gig, so it helps to just remember that you're already set and not getting this has no impact on your current quality of life. Thats what always kept me calm.

My last interview (6 months ago), I was told they probably wouldn't get back to me until a month...and I heard back a few days later. I think the passion applied to technical skills is what got me there. They didn't want to risk a good candidate going elsewhere. Companies that need a solid performer typically know if there's a possibility of you taking another offer,

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
          Good luck! I'm sure I'm not telling you something you don't already know, but what has always helped me is showing enthusiasm for the work in addition to the job skills. A lot of people focus only on showing how good they are, and not how passionate they are about performing well. Obviously you're in the best position of already having a good gig, so it helps to just remember that you're already set and not getting this has no impact on your current quality of life. Thats what always kept me calm.

My last interview (6 months ago), I was told they probably wouldn't get back to me until a month...and I heard back a few days later. I think the passion applied to technical skills is what got me there. They didn't want to risk a good candidate going elsewhere. Companies that need a solid performer typically know if there's a possibility of you taking another offer,
          I have no skills, all I've got is enthusiasm!

I hear you, and I have been completely enthused about the whole process. I already have a pretty good rapport with everyone there, due to my role with my current employer, the new manager was the only one I hadn't met. This next interview will be, dare I say, fun. Then comes more excruciating waiting. He does want to fill the role by the end of April though, so it shouldn't take much longer. At this point I think it's simply a matter of aligning schedules.

Comment

Yeah interviews can be "fun" when you're already employed. I remember doing them when not employed and man it sucked then.

At least when employed (read not desperate), you can be more yourself and honest - that way they can also have a clear understanding of what they are getting.
            Originally posted by MR EDD
            U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

...what has always helped me is showing enthusiasm for the work in addition to the job skills. A lot of people focus only on showing how good they are, and not how passionate they are about performing well. Obviously you're in the best position of already having a good gig, so it helps to just remember that you're already set and not getting this has no impact on your current quality of life. Thats what always kept me calm.

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
              Yeah interviews can be "fun" when you're already employed.

At least when employed (read not desperate), you can be more yourself and honest - that way they can also have a clear understanding of what they are getting.
              This is the exact scenario I was in. Knew I wouldn't be fucked if I didn't get the job, but hated my current job. It was a lot easier to be honest and open about who I am and what I want to do.

I was also told that I would probably hear back in about a month because it was around the holiday season, but two days later I was called in for a face-to-face interview, and then a few days after that I had an offer in my hand for double the salary I was making at my last job.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                I was called in for a face-to-face interview, and then a few days after that I had an offer in my hand for double the salary I was making at my last job.
                This is what I'm hoping for (a little more than double actually).

Comment

The best thing you can do is preinterview. Send me your resume and I'll do it over Skype if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                    This is what I'm hoping for (a little more than double actually).
                    Considering I made chump change before, that just means I upgraded to regular change.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                      Considering I made chump change before, that just means I upgraded to regular change.
                      Same here, just on the Cali scale, good ol' "sunshine tax.".

I'm not gonna lie, this new gig would certainly put our family a few steps closer to financial freedom, but if it doesn't work out the bills will still get paid.

Comment

Good luck man, sounds like you're in there. Whether you get this one or not, never, ever give up on pursuing your career goals and getting back on top.

And remember, God's got this. He has a plan for you and if you are seeking His direction every day you'll do well, whether it's right now or a little ways down the line.

And when you do get the great job, don't sabotage things.... it's quite easy to throw it all away with a quickness. I say this because it sounds like we are a bit alike!

Comment

Originally posted by 93LXHORSE View Post
                          yada yada yada... I say this because it sounds like we are a bit alike!
                          Haha...I think you're getting a little carried away on that one.

Comment

Haha...I think you're getting a little carried away on that one.
                            Nah man, I bet he will agree !

Comment

I appreciate the words of encouragement Chris, and I'm definitely asking for His guidance on this one, but I do it on the daily anyway.

We are more alike than you might think Ruff, but it's not necessarily a bad thing. I just haven't posted most of my craziness, and only came really close to destroying my career.

His warning doesn't fall on deaf ears, I know exactly where he's coming from.

Comment

Damn now I really need to meet this mafkha.

Comment

Working...
                                X