No announcement yet.

Cattle group buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 4h thing is good way to go, or if you know anyone who keeps a heard of cattle ask to purchase one. This saves the farmer time and money to haul it to a sale.

We keep 70-100 head year round on the farm. They have 900 or so acres of pasture 8-9 months of the year.

We will usually take one every year, and its alot better than cattle lot beef.

If you have the land. A calf is really not That expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
      The 4h thing is good way to go, or if you know anyone who keeps a heard of cattle ask to purchase one. This saves the farmer time and money to haul it to a sale.

We keep 70-100 head year round on the farm. They have 900 or so acres of pasture 8-9 months of the year.

We will usually take one every year, and its alot better than cattle lot beef.

If you have the land. A calf is really not That expensive.
      The calf isn't expensive per say, but buying all the nutrients it needs to put on weight sure can be if you have a smaller grazing area, or if the grazing area is not very good. Hay is fairly cheap, but hay alone is not enough for a calf if you really want it to put on weight like it should. Now if you have a pair then we're talking about a whole different ball game since the calf can still nurse from the mother.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
        FFA or 4H clubs usually do a sale in the spring, these tend to be grain fed, and very tasty.

Last one I had was a 1440lbs hereford. Man he was delish!
        What did he did dress out at?

Comment

Lone I'm not talking about one that still needs its mother.

If you have a little land Buying a calf that can fend for itself let it eat on its own.

It all depends on what you have access too. If you have to buy everything its expensive. If its there for free well you get the idea. If you want to get crazy process the animal yourself.

Comment

we buy one a year. It is 8 months old. We buy the entire cow and split it with a friend. 3 people in the house have a very hard time finishing the entire thing in a year.

Our friend is a rancher. He raises them, no hormones or anything else for that matter. They are still on the teat when they are taken off. Not veal though. They are about to the point of being weaned. Possibly the best beef I have ever eaten.

Costs us 650 for the cow and 592 for the slaughter and processing. Everything is vacuum sealed as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
              Lone I'm not talking about one that still needs its mother.

If you have a little land Buying a calf that can fend for itself let it eat on its own.

It all depends on what you have access too. If you have to buy everything its expensive. If its there for free well you get the idea. If you want to get crazy process the animal yourself.
              In that case, buy two calves. They tend to do better, put on weight faster and you can sell one to make the one you keep cheaper.
              sigpic

Comment

A good diet of grain and alfalfa or coastal hay is best. Stay away from hormones and you will have some damn fine meat. When I was a kid we would raise 4-5 bucket calves, slaughter one and auction off the rest. You could not beat the taste. Also, you get to tell the butcher how to cut the meat, and how much fat you want in the hamburger.

Comment

Lol Im in. Id love hamburgers year round.
                  First hand witness at the failure of public healthcare.

Comment

Eat Wild - The clearinghouse for information about pasture-based farming.
                    "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

We have about 60 head right now with 2 bulls. We have anything from new borns ( most recent was yesterday) to full grown cows. If anyone is interested I will ask my grandfather how much he would want. I know he was looking to cut the herd in 1/2 and get rid of one of the bulls this spring.

They graze on 500 acres from March thru Novemeber and get a round bail everyday from Nov-March. Each bulls get about 8 lbs of range cubes everyday.
                      www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

If the price is right and I get the cuts that I want, I'm IN, no BS either.

Comment

Originally posted by mustangguy289 View Post
                          We have about 60 head right now with 2 bulls. We have anything from new borns ( most recent was yesterday) to full grown cows. If anyone is interested I will ask my grandfather how much he would want. I know he was looking to cut the herd in 1/2 and get rid of one of the bulls this spring.

They graze on 500 acres from March thru Novemeber and get a round bail everyday from Nov-March. Each bulls get about 8 lbs of range cubes everyday.
                          Could you ask? Let's see what we have to work with here.
                          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
                            Can we do the killing? Steve taught me how to choke a cow out (since they don't know how to tap).
                            I'd LOVE to give you a real lesson on how to choke someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              I'd LOVE to give you a real lesson on how to choke something.
                              corrected.
                              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

We raise black Angus, If there is some serious interest here I will be hauling some 500-600# calves off to the sale in the next 60 days. No growth hormones and pasture raised.
                                The Daily

10' F250 FX4 CC spatanized & deleted

Comment

Working...
                                X