A cool writeup on my brother's band, the Dead Flowers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A cool writeup on my brother's band, the Dead Flowers

So I drug a few friends out to go see my brother's band last Friday, and it turned out there was a reporter in the club. That's pretty cool. If anyone enjoys alt-country/southern rock kind of stuff, I think you'd really enjoy their band. They only played a short set, because they were opening for a national act, but they're a lot of fun when they headline, and have time in the budget to stretch their legs.

Originally posted by Static Magazine
    Dead Flowers

January 24, 2013

Band of the Week

Have you ever accidently stumbled upon greatness?

After being assigned to shoot promo shots for a Indie-Pop band this past Friday at The Door in Dallas I came across something I would never have thought to expect that night. Between the band’s sets Rachel and I wandered through the back hall that leads to the second room called the Prophet Bar. I was intrigued by the music playing in the other room and immediately went to find out who was playing. From the moment I walked in the room and saw the Gretsch hollow body, I was sucked in. As we would find out later, it was Dead Flowers’ soundcheck. This would be the beginning of a delightful night.

After shooting our assignment at The Door, Rachel and I headed over to the Prophet Bar. Dead Flowers was on first and they were tearing it up. The sounds of Country, Blues, Rock and Roll, and pure Southern greatness were being amplified across the room. The Prophet Bar was close to packed; I was quite impressed given that Dead Flowers were the first band up. The lead vocals of the group are performed by Corey Howe, a very energetic individual. His booming voice has the characteristics of huskiness and tang; the atmosphere of the vocals is Southern grit with a teaspoon of rasp for added character. The guitars are played by Corey and Vince Tuley on lead. The guitar’s tone has an overdriven powerful and organic quality to it. With a vintage and raspy sound it pairs great with Corey’s vocals. The drums are performed by Ed Chaney. With powerful blows to his cymbals and toms he creates a loud and clear rhythm to the music. The bass is played by Evan Johnson who has just the right amount of rumble and depth for the band’s upbeat tempos.

Every member of Dead Flowers puts on a jaw dropping show performance. I had a smile on my face for most of their set and didn’t have one excuse to leave until they were done. If you are living in the Dallas or Fort Worth areas of Texas I highly suggest that you get out and see these guys live. You can keep up with these guys at http://www.facebook.com/deadflowersband. I have also been told that they have their debut full length record, “For You”, coming out this Spring.
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Cool shit, dude. Have any of their stuff you could send my way?
    How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Originally posted by Geor! View Post
      Cool shit, dude. Have any of their stuff you could send my way?
      I have a demo EP, and an album rough-cut, but the quality is for shit. The album is in mastering now. When I get my promo copy, I'll send it on to you, and just buy another.

Comment

Are they Wall Flower rejects?

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzo View Post
          Are they Wall Flower rejects?
          Yeah, I don't think you could characterize any of them as, "wallflowers," so sure. Fun fact, the lead guitarist looks eerily like Slider.

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
            Yeah, I don't think you could characterize any of them as, "wallflowers," so sure. Fun fact, the lead guitarist looks eerily like Slider.
            I was joking, just a play off the word flowers and in a band

Comment

I had a blast at the show, and they were awesome on stage. Glad I made it out.

Let me know when they get some of their stuff mastered and where i can download digital versions.

Comment

Next time they play, let me know. I wanted to go, but a cracker has responsibilities.
                Originally posted by BradM
                But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                Originally posted by Leah
                In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                  Next time they play, let me know. I wanted to go, but a cracker has responsibilities.
                  LMAO, my 3 year old son came home one day and walked in the door saying "whats up cracka". I fucking LMAO for 5 minutes from that.

on topic. Yale, where does your brother normally play?

Comment

They play the hipster joints in Dallas. Sometimes Adair's, sometimes the Doublewide. They're starting to play bigger places. I'll update this thread when I head into town for another show, but if you guys don't want to wait that long, I highly suggest following them on Facebook.

Comment

Keep me in the loop gents.

Comment

LMK where i can get digital downloans when they release it! Anywhere online i can listed? couldnt find anything on youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by Pro88LX View Post
                          LMK where i can get digital downloans when they release it! Anywhere online i can listed? couldnt find anything on youtube.
                          There's a youtube video in the link Yale posted.

Comment

I went to school with the guitarist! Tony Webb!
                            Can't beat them, Join their NEW message board !!

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                              There's a youtube video in the link Yale posted.
                              i meant in addition to that...

Comment

Working...
                              X