Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fareed Zakaria: Liberals think they're tolerant, but they're not.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fareed Zakaria: Liberals think they're tolerant, but they're not.

Fareed Zakaria said Saturday that though many liberals think they are tolerant, often they aren’t.

Fareed Zakaria says freedom of speech is not just for ideas we find comfortable
    Zakaria: Conservative voices and views are being silenced

(CNN)Fareed Zakaria said Saturday that though many liberals think they are tolerant, often they aren't.

Zakaria noted that "at the height of commencement season," many new graduates across the country had made their political views apparent, from the Notre Dame students who walked out as Vice President Mike Pence gave his commencement address to the crowd members who booed Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos during a speech at Bethune-Cookman University.
    "American universities seem committed to every kind of diversity except intellectual diversity. Conservative voices and views are being silenced entirely," Zakaria said.
    The CNN host said he found this attitude strange, especially given that these incidents occurred on college campuses that "promised to give their undergraduates a liberal education."
    "The word liberal in this context has nothing to do with today's partisan language, but refers instead to the Latin root, pertaining to liberty. And at the heart of liberty in the Western world has been freedom of speech. From the beginning, people understood that this meant protecting and listening to speech with which you disagreed," Zakaria argued.
    That means, he said, not drowning out "the ideas that we find offensive."
    In addition, Zakaria noted what he called "an anti-intellectualism" on the left.
    "It's an attitude of self-righteousness that says we are so pure, we're so morally superior, we cannot bear to hear an idea with which we disagree," he said.
    "Liberals think they are tolerant but often they aren't," he added.
    No one, he continued, "has a monopoly on right or virtue."
    In fact, it is only by being open to hearing opposing views that people on both sides of the political spectrum can learn something, Zakaria said.
    "By talking seriously and respectfully about agreements and disagreements, we can come together in a common conversation," he said.
    "Recognizing that while we seem so far apart, we do actually have a common destiny."

Fareed Zakaria says freedom of speech is not just for ideas we find comfortable
    I stopped reading here, because i know for fact, and on record, this is a sentiment shared by many people here.
    THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Originally posted by naynay View Post
      I stopped reading here, because i know for fact, and on record, this is a sentiment shared by many people here.
      I'm certain it is. However, I believe you may be attempting to say the opposite.

If that is the case, I'll offer my purview. What you percieve as intolerance of your views from so many, is more likely a response to your tenuous ability to explain your opinions in type, coupled with your belligerent attitude and obviously puerile understanding of the subject matter.

The article is worth a read and somewhat surprising if you are familiar with Zakaria's political positions.

Comment

Originally posted by faknewsfucktardholio View Post
        thing is, many here have seen you try your best at engaging the different opinions shared and you fail at reaching any sort of intelligent point each and every time, and you then blame others for your shortcomings. typical liberal shitbag stuff.

Comment

Liberals are some of the most intolerant arrogant people you will ever meet. And when you call them out on it they immediately claim to be victims.
          Originally posted by racrguy
          What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
          Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Liberals seem to confuse tolerant and supportive. I can be tolerant of differing views, lifestyles, and choices but this does not mean I have to support them. I do however fully support the free speech of others, no matter how strongly I may disagree or believe thier opinion to be wrong.
            1965 Ford Falcon Pro-Touring Project
            TCI F/R Suspension, 3V-4.6 & TR3560, LT III Wheels

sigpic
            Work In Progress

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
              Liberals are some of the most intolerant arrogant people you will ever meet. And when you call them out on it they immediately claim to be victims.
              Its a dominate female trait due to the lack of reason and accountability because of thought fueled purely by emotion and chemical imbalance in the brain caused by estrogen. Quite frankly American society has gone to shit with the gradual insertion of female input since about 1964. Now they practically control the education of our future generations and the media caters to them because they are glued to the fucking television and social media.

Sure this sounds like an old woman hater, but think it through for a moment. We didn't have these issues before women's lib and the fucking hippies.

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
                Its a dominate female trait due to the lack of reason and accountability because of thought fueled purely by emotion and chemical imbalance in the brain caused by estrogen. Quite frankly American society has gone to shit with the gradual insertion of female input since about 1964.

We have a winner. Nail on the head and all that.

But they'd rather die than admit that there may be some kind of actual difference between genders. Just ask em... your peen is actually a vag. And vice versa. We're all just like some kind of grey, bland, asexually reproducing bacteria. There is no feminine, and no masculine.
                WH

Comment

The biggest problem, at least in my opinion, is that normal people don't challenge this bullshit when they hear or see it. In an attempt to be civil many people just nod and play along.

I refuse to do this and call them out. I proclaim global warming a crock of shit at every opportunity these days.
                  What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                  Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

The biggest problem, at least in my opinion, is that normal people don't challenge this bullshit when they hear or see it. In an attempt to be civil many people just nod and play along.

I refuse to do this and call them out. I proclaim global warming a crock of shit at every opportunity these days.
                    Oh, I do the same. I have a friend who is gay and is "transitioning" to female by getting tits and being offended by EVERYTHING. He/she used to be great friend. I respect him for being a helluva a car person and builder and I could frankly care less about him being gay or the choices he makes in life but every time he points out that I'm being offensive or I that he thinks I am not accepting of him because of the offensive shit that I say, I remind him that he needs to be accepting of me too. Usually ends the BS really quick when you point out that they are being a bit hypocritical. Love how the "tolerant" left can't seem to understand that I am tolerant of your choices and even your choices to be ignorant but it is the fact that you want to force others to be ignorant as well that I have the problem with. They just can't seem to get that.

Comment

Truth, and who posting in this thread fits this description perfectly.....

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
                        Quite frankly American society has gone to shit with the gradual insertion of female input since about 1964. Now they practically control the education of our future generations and the media caters to them because they are glued to the fucking television and social media.
                        this is actually largely attributed to The Beatles, and the Ford Mustang, not to mention the whole JFK thing. Very much a turning point for america, but to place the blame on women makes you sound like a misogynist.
                        THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                          your peen is actually a vag. And vice versa. We're all just like some kind of grey, bland, asexually reproducing bacteria. There is no feminine, and no masculine.
                          we already covered this in the Bill Nye thread.

learn something:
                          THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Working...
                          X