Converting an 86 GT to an 85

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting an 86 GT to an 85

So long story short, my 86 GT sat for a while due to divorce. During this time the squirrels did a number on my wiring harness and to be honest though it was bone stock, it never seemed to idle right. Not to mention that the hall effect sensor had gone bad and needed the distributor replaced right before everything went down.

I am freshening up the car to give to my son when he turns 16. Instead of trying to sort out the mess I was going to do the following.

1) Replace the gas tank as the gas has turned to varnish and replace it with a new one with a carb style pick up and run new fuel lines with a new electric fuel pump.
    2) Remove fuel injection and intake and replace with a performer and 600 CFM holley or edelbrock.
    3) Replace the EFI distributor with an MSD or one from an 85'
    4) Remove the computer and either fix the existing wiring harness to get what I need or try to find a replacement.

The motor is an original E6 and was freshened up by the previous owner which means there is not a whole lot I can do without a complete rebuild. Besides it is for a 16 year old.

Is there anything I am missing on this conversion?

Thanks

I’d head over to four eyed pride for this info. Just don’t ever tell them you wanna convert it to an 87.

Comment

Replace the gas tank with one for an '85 and run a mechanical fuel pump instead of trying to regulate the fuel pressure from the electric pump with a regulator. Your timing cover / camshaft should have provisions for this. The last fuel tank I bought was about $120 delivered but it was 10 years ago.

Don't use the MSD if you want your son's DD to be reliable. You don't want him stranded on the busy DFW roads late at night somewhere. Get a Motorcraft distributor if you can, try to avoid the mcparts ones for best results.

It would probably be easier and less costly to get the SEFI working correctly. There's tons of help info available.
      Last edited by slow84lx; 01-31-2018, 08:50 PM.

Comment

save some headaches

"If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
          This is what I'm thinking. For what you'd spend to convert it, you'd be just about done getting it running right in its stock form.

Comment

If you end up buying from Americanmuscle.com

14fbookcode - 6% off.
            17' Coyote | MGW | BMR | STEEDA | STAINLESS WORKS | E85 TUNED |

Comment

Working...
            X