No announcement yet.

Where is a good place to hike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't hiked them, but I've ridden them on bike and enjoyed the scenery and have seen hikers on all of them:

North Shore Trail on Lake Grapevine in Flower Mound
    Johnson Branch (Ray Roberts Lake) State Park in Valley View
    Isle du Bois (Ray Roberts Lake) State Park in Aubrey/Pilot Point
    Erwin Park in McKinney

I drove out to Cross Timbers on Lake Texoma Monday and didn't get to ride much before it got dark, but it looked like it had some good scenery. Might be a little more difficult (the part I rode on bike wasn't easy, but it wasn't bad walking it back out of the trail).

http://www.dorba.org has information on all of these trails
    Originally posted by Broncojohnny
    HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Caprock canyon, Palo Duro Canyon, Big Bend and if you have hiking legs of steel Gauadalupe Natl Park.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
        I want to find a State Park that lets me hike in an ATV, so I can bring my beerz, jams (music) and guns in case I see something worth killing...
        If you claim self defense and don't mind 3.2 beer most of that is possible at Lake Murray.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. This would be mainly a day trip or afternoon trip to get familiar with backpacking and eventually camping so I think just some trails and cool things to see along the way might be what I'm looking for. Eisenhower State Park is probably the closest one for me. Do the parks mentioned here have resting areas to rest/sight see/eat a snack, and then keep going?

I've driven by Cedar Hill State Park back when I lived in GP but never been.

On another note, for a pack, I have a backpack with a camel back. I'm guessing some good things to take would be bug spray, first aid kit, dry snacks...any thing else? Is a Camel Back filled with water sufficient?

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
            On another note, for a pack, I have a backpack with a camel back. I'm guessing some good things to take would be bug spray, first aid kit, dry snacks...any thing else? Is a Camel Back filled with water sufficient?
            Sunscreen would be a good idea. Eisenhower has 3.2 mile trail system so you'd probably be fine with the camelbak. I'd have a case of bottled water in the car to be safe though.

Comment

I'd go ahead and treat shoes and socks (lower legs if wearing pants too) with permethrin (I use Sawyer) just in case ticks and / or chiggers are out already. I've been hearing that they are..

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                I'd go ahead and treat shoes and socks (lower legs if wearing pants too) with permethrin (I use Sawyer) just in case ticks and / or chiggers are out already. I've been hearing that they are..
                Arms also, if you brush up against anything they just hitch a ride and head for the soft sweaty areas. Bastards.
                Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                  Thanks for the suggestions everyone. This would be mainly a day trip or afternoon trip to get familiar with backpacking and eventually camping so I think just some trails and cool things to see along the way might be what I'm looking for. Eisenhower State Park is probably the closest one for me. Do the parks mentioned here have resting areas to rest/sight see/eat a snack, and then keep going?

I've driven by Cedar Hill State Park back when I lived in GP but never been.

Not familiar with Eisenhower but most State Parks that I know do not really have rest or sight seeing areas. You pretty much just find a clearing so your out of the way of any mountain bikers if you want to stop and grab a drink or eat a snack. Right now you'll be fine with just bottle water on a 3 mile trail. I have a 3 liter Camelbak and doing a 6 mile hike during the summer it's plenty for me.

Make sure you have some good padded socks and comfortable shoes. I usually download the offline Google Maps of whatever area I'll be hiking on the off chance that there won't be any cell reception. Comes in handy knowing where you are and might givve you an idea of how much further you have to go. And if you are hiking towards the end of the day, bring a flashlight and/or headlamp. I actually like to go hiking at night, less people on the trail and makes the hike a little more interesting.

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                  Good suggestion, I need to pick some up myself.

Comment

Someplace the mountain lions aren't watching you while you hike.
                    WH

Comment

Enchanted Rock has stunning views. Had a great hike with my family last month.

Comment

Working...
                      X