No announcement yet.

One Wire Alternator High Voltage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I finally had a minute to slap it in and test again this morning.

Again, the battery reads a steady 14.6 while running.

The positive junctions at the front of the car are getting 15-16.

The post on the alternator is all over the place. Like, jumping up to 20v and then back down to 10.

Again, reading this with a multimeter. I've even confirmed with two different meters.

I wonder if I have some other wiring issue is causing this problem.
    1971 Ford Torino - Time to go bigger and better.

2011 F150 Limited - Stock with a 6.2

Comment

Can you borrow that type of alternator from autozone? In my head it has to be the alternator.

Comment

Since its a One-Wire aftermarket alternator, no.

Comment

You have a faulty internal ground inside of the alternator. It doesn't have a correct reference to what 0 volts is and it is trying to keep the voltage at the level set by the voltage reg.

Buy a new one and stop screwing with this one.
          Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Why not throw a 3G on it? It’s only a 2 wire hookup and you can buy em from any parts store.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
              You have a faulty internal ground inside of the alternator. It doesn't have a correct reference to what 0 volts is and it is trying to keep the voltage at the level set by the voltage reg.

Buy a new one and stop screwing with this one.
              I was really trying to avoid plopping down 200+ for a new one. Can the ground not be repaired?

Originally posted by 4EyedTurd View Post
              Why not throw a 3G on it? It’s only a 2 wire hookup and you can buy em from any parts store.
              It may come to that

Comment

Originally posted by Torinoman View Post
                I was really trying to avoid plopping down 200+ for a new one. Can the ground not be repaired?
                Trying to fix it is throwing good money at bad. Double check your ground from the alternators case to the negative battery terminal before you buy a new one. It should be no higher than 4tenths of an ohm.
                Last edited by svauto-erotic855; 02-15-2018, 11:50 PM.
                Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Is the case not grounded through the mount to the engine?

Comment

It is but you are measuring the total resistance back the the battery terminal. Have someone tug on the ground cable while you are taking the measurement.

What you are describing is caused by bad grounds or a rectifier bridge failing.

Try measuring A/C voltage out of the backside of the alternator.

Comment

Ah, I'll give it a try or just say fuck it and do what everyone suggested and get a high amp 3g from autozone.

Comment

^^^ If you have a poor or intermittent ground you will have the same problem with the new alternator and you can kill your brand new one. If you do the checks I mentioned you will be able to isolate the cause of failure.

If you are sick of fucking with it I will be back in town Tuesday and can take a look at your car that afternoon.

Comment

You're welcome to come check out my garbage. You might dig it. See where that sanden 709 ended up.

The engine is thoroughly grounded, though I will test it to be sure.

Comment

I tested the engine and alternator ground to the chassis and it seemed normal.

I'll try slapping in a autozone 3g.

Was there a high amp small case 3g offered by ford on anything or is 95amp the most I can get for a factory offering with the 7 inch mount?

Comment

130amp I believe is the largest

Comment

Which model has 130 amp with the 7 inch mount spacing? I know the E350 had 130 amp version but with 8.25 spacing.
                                Last edited by Torinoman; 02-18-2018, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X