Dsm daily project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dsm daily project

Always was screwed by mechanics and these cars in general. This car started as a basket case, I currently own 2 different second gens, this one is pretty stout. I'm a pretty proud papa, considering the basket case the was was when I got it

I've rebuilt the head, put in some arp head studs, rewired the interior harness, rewired the ECU, rebuilt the turbo. It's suprised me, I can brake boost into 5psi at a prebuilt 2800 flash unlocked converter. Boost in this little four cylinder at quarter throttle accelerates like full throttle

I apologise, this board does not automatically resize, and does not enable any sort of file attachments other than potato resolution

Please feel free to browse my rebuild of my dsm daily driver. It's been fun learning to datalog and play with tuning with small risk/reward tuning

So far I have done every piece of work myself. Putting a cam in an LS is cake compared to setting hydraulic tensioner gap on a mechanical rotating tensioner pulley mounted on a long tensioner arm to create timing belt tension lol

chrysler kid submitted a new DSM Profile :1998 gst projectRead more about this vehicle here...Preface: I found the original owners thread on here. If you are considering upgrading your car, you have to consider yourself the best mechanic.Previous owner was screwed from the start...

Last edited by 4king; 02-18-2018, 03:13 AM.

I've always liked the looks of those cars, but I've never owned one. Mostly because they are usually ragged out piles of crap. Secondly because I hear they're a monster pain in the ass to work on.

Comment

Back in the day a guy had one of those with "20psi of boost" pounding on a few of us mustang owners. That lasted for a day and he blew it up and we never saw him again. True story.

I liked them even though they are quite bubbly.

Comment

I sat in one at the state fair when they first came out. Couldn't shut the door. Must be made for midgets.

Comment

Always liked those cars, but remember the AWD ones always having transfer case issues if anything was done to the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
            I sat in one at the state fair when they first came out. Couldn't shut the door. Must be made for midgets.
            Same problem. Guess if you're japanese its just about right.

Also I never could see the appeal.
            WH

Comment

I'm 6 foot 4, and based off of the model you sat on they all fit differently. The base no power seats with lower adjustability are the best ones and give tons of room. The base cloth non lower adjustable seats will make your head hit the ceiling

BTW I never needed 20psi to beat a PI motor 2 valve GT in highschool. Those 96-04 pigs were everywhere with an off road H-pipe

What was the appeal? Let's see in 2001 I bought a 1996 gst from the original owner with 67k miles and some high dollar brand name modifications running perfectly for $6500. I couldn't even get a ragged out fox for that price. This 98 cost me $1300 and 3 months of weekend work to get proper

Around 2004 it became extremely evident that after close to $5k in mods and still losing to an LS1 fbody with just intake and headers that I was no longer an import guy

But hey they are fun projects now. I stood on the converter and got a full boost 2800 rpm launch off the line. Definitely throws you back a bit.
              Last edited by 4king; 02-20-2018, 12:41 AM.

Comment

I had a 95 GXS in 98, sophomore year of HS. Totaled it in 6 months, damn fun car though and always another one. Looking on Ebay there's not a lot there but this one is nice.

You remember the stories John use to tell us about the the three chinamen playing Fantan? This guy runs up to them and says, "Hey, the world's coming to an end!" and the first one says, "Well, I best go to the mission and pray," and the second one says, "Well, hell, I'm gonna go and buy me a case of Mezcal and six whores," and the third one says "Well, I'm gonna finish the game." I shall finish the game, Doc.

Comment

When I lived near Seattle we saw lots of fast DSM cars at the track. Lots of them running 11s and going home on same tires. I never saw an actual fast Supra though just tons of dyno queens.

Comment

I love those cars. I beat this piss out of my 95 Talon on a daily basis for 5+ years and it only left me stranded twice. It was easily the most reliable car I owned that wasn't a Toyota. Good for 24 mpg, 8.8s in the 1/8 mile and it'd cruise at 135+ pretty effortlessly.

Comment

Comment

Ben that’s a sweet 2nd gen! I remember a dude at the street races back in the 90’s spank everything in a 1st gen white one all while granny shifting..
                        "PSH!!!"

Comment

That is very clean, I have never owned one but have seena few of my friends piss a lot of people off with them at the KFC meet up. Also my pizza delivery guy in the 90s had one that would tear some ass, he used it and a monster Toyota to deliver in lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                            Ben that’s a sweet 2nd gen! I remember a dude at the street races back in the 90’s spank everything in a 1st gen white one all while granny shifting..
                            The tall goofy Glenn won the AWD division at the Friday Night Drags TMS runs last year. I remember seeing that car run a 5.9 at Kennedale when he had a bottle on it.

Comment

I picked up my buddy's 100k mile GSX for nothing when he left for the oil field and bought his built corvette never looking back. I liked it, but someone made an offer I couldn't refuse less than a week later.
                              Originally posted by Buzzo
                              Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X