Name that sound!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name that sound!

My wife's 06 Nissan Murano automatic has developed a noise that sounds sort of like a wump-wump-wump from the front drivers side wheel area.

The tires were rotated and it still makes the noise in the same location.

It starts as soon as you begin driving and increases with speed til around 60mph when the noise blurs together.

The noise seems to disappear upon braking.

It does not sounds like the grinding noise of a bearing or the clicking of a cv axle.

When placed in the air and checked for back/forth and side to side wiggle for a bad bearing, it's solid as a rock.

When placed in the air and put in drive, it does not make the noise.

Any ideas? Has me pretty stumped. Any places yall would recommend taking it to to have diagnosed?

Does it stop when load is removed, ie not accelerating? If so, probable inner cv.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
      Does it stop when load is removed, ie not accelerating? If so, probable inner cv.
      The noise continues as normal when accelerating or coasting, it only stops when braking or, at a complete stop.

Comment

does the noise occur when swaying side to side while driving? taking load off one wheel and onto the other.

just because there is no play does not mean the bearing is good. but a wump noise does not sound like a bearing.

Comment

The noise is still there even during turns, though on large radius turns going clockwise the noise seems to be a little bit less, but that could be my imagination...

Comment

I had a wheel hub/bearing assy fail and make what I believe to be a similar sound

Comment

Working...
            X