Big Green Egg thread #143...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Green Egg thread #143...

So who knows the tips and tricks to using these things???

I've seen a lot of you talk about pizzas on a BGE as well as using as a charcoal grill so figure I'll give it a whirl.

This just came today....

And I'm replacing this.... (if anyone wants a gas smoker with a propane tank for $125, come get it. Smokes up great stuff..)

Just remember once it heats up, it takes forever to cool back down! I had a hard time, at first (being over zealous) trying to get it to certain temps (like 325-350 for chicken). I'd think it was not heating fast enough, then BAM, it'd be 400 degrees!

Got a pizza stone and heat deflector for it? If not, get a pizza stone for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
      Just remember once it heats up, it takes forever to cool back down! I had a hard time, at first (being over zealous) trying to get it to certain temps (like 325-350 for chicken). I'd think it was not heating fast enough, then BAM, it'd be 400 degrees!

Got a pizza stone and heat deflector for it? If not, get a pizza stone for sure!
      LOL - thanks for the heads up!

I've got the ash tool kit, fire starter kit, charcoal, and plate setter (which I think is the heat deflector... at least the way the guy I got it from described it.

Comment

Yeah, i think plate setter is what my BGE friend said is the deflector. I use a pizza stone as a deflector, and have another for pizza's. Also, I got those alumin foil pans (rectangular) from Costco, and use those under the chicken and shit so it catches all the crap dripping down, helps keep the deflector cleaner, and you can add water, beer, etc. for moisture and extra flavor when cooking. I added some sliced apples to a little water when I cooked a chicken once. Not sure if it really helped, but the chicken was juicy as hell, so to me it worked!

And clean it out after every few uses, so the ash does not build up and block the airflow. Airflow really controls the temps, they are sensitive to adjustments!

Comment

There are some decent Youtube video's too, I watched a few before my first brisket. Also the BGE site I think had some tips/tricks.

Nothing beats Stangs tho, we have someone here that has done it already, every time a question is asked!

Comment

Elitists pricks!

<-----Hater
            Originally posted by Silverback
            Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Adventures in grilling,barbecue and beer

Yet again, my buddy Jason does a lot of cooking on his BGE (everynight he's home pretty much)

Altough he was caught using my gas grill this weekend :P

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                Elitists pricks!

<-----Hater

X2

Comment

Best advice is get a electric coal starter and work the temp up for low temps.

After a couple of times I can get it below 250 and keep it there all day/night. If you let it get to 400 it takes forever to get it back to 225. I love mine and use it once or twice a week year round. I'm due for a gasket replacement but I sear so many steaks I don't want to just yet.

Check your thermometer in boiling water to verify temp is correct.

Comment

Oh yeah, and Roscoe, it will work better uninverted.
                    sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                    17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                    13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                    86 SVO - Sold
                    '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                    01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                    65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Just about everything you need to know about cooking on the BGE can be found here

Ceramic charcoal cooking, barbecue, recipes, cricket, photography and more.

Also if you do lots of searing and pizzas at high temp be ready to replace the gasket with a high temp nomex gasket, because you will burn out the felt one. Once you do some cooking on it you will get a feel for where the vents need to be set for what temp. Don't use that B&B lump coal academy carries, it is crap. Go to Walmart and get Royal Oak all natural lump coal, it is just as good as the BGE brand but cheaper.

I think I might stop and pick up a steak to cook on mine tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
                        Oh yeah, and Roscoe, it will work better uninverted.
                        Goddamn photobucket...

Thanks all for the blogs and articles, once I get settled in after the move I just need to get my experimenting on.... Just now need the kegerator.

Comment

Congrats! welcome to the elitist club!
                          Can't beat them, Join their NEW message board !!

Comment

UDS FTMFW!!!!!!

(If i could afford a green egg i would get one)

Comment

Working...
                            X