No announcement yet.

Beef vs. buffalo brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 1/2 lb brisket. Seasoned with salt, pepper and some Costco organic salt free seasoning. Threw mostly hickory (%75-%25) and some mesquite wood, plus the good old lump coal.

Buffalo brisket before seasoning:

Warming up the grill, lotta smoke came in the house when I opened the door!

Aluminum pan with some water in it as a heat deflector

Comment

Looks good Rob. What are you anticipating for the smoke time? Can't wait to see the finished product.

Comment

Turned out OK. I'd say 6.75-7 outa 10. a little over cooked, but I'm on fucken call this weekend and was stuck at my desk. temp I wanted was 150-155. It "stalled" at 140 for a while, next thing I know it was 165!

I'll try another,a nd cook it at 225 more I think, a little slower cook mat help. Also, I bought turkey bacon for some fat, but did not add any on top. I may try that next time.

It's not dry, per se, but drier than beef for sure. I used Cholula hot sauce only on mine, and the taste was pretty good.

It cooked from 225-250 most of the time. Got up to 300 once for a bit and I backed it down. I'd say about 4 hours on the grill.

Sliced it and made a BBQ sammich with hatch hamburger buns. It's a little tuffer than I really like, but I can bite it very easily. It will not shred like a beef brisket, too tuff for that. Great flavor, a little "gamey" taste I'd say compared to beef, but like any regular buffalo meat, just a little different. Nothing extreme at all. Really good tho!

Off the grill and wrapping in foil for a few minutes. Not much fat to drip down!

After I sliced it up a bit.

Comment

They did buffalo brisket on BBQ Pitmasters a few weeks ago. Every team put thick bacon on top to get fat into the meat since the meat is so lean. I can't remember what temps they took it to but I think they cooked to to the same temp as beef brisket. But I could be wrong on the temp so don't quote me.

Comment

looks good, albeit a little on the dry side. I probably woulda chopped what was left in a food processor and mixed it with ground beef and made burgers outta it.

Comment

Next time I'll either try marinating it in something liquid for a few hours, or throw some bacon on top for a little fat drip. Plus, I'll do a weekend when I am not on call and can keep a better eye on the temps! I was away for 2 straight hours, and who knows how long it was close to 300!

As far as a sammich, last night a little BBQ sauce and Cholula hot sauce mixed 50/50, and it was really good. Wasn't dry tasting, but of course the sauce helped that.

Will I do buffalo a lot, no, but once in a while I might give it a go.

Comment

Rob, I would probably do some injections on the buffalo and make with a butter base so that it helps get some fat content and keeps it from drying out.

I recondition headlights on most cars for $50.00. If interested shoot me a pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Thehead View Post
                  Rob, I would probably do some injections on the buffalo and make with a butter base so that it helps get some fat content and keeps it from drying out.
                  That could be dangerous, buffalo can be mean!

Comment

Working...
                  X