Ancestory.com anyone ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestory.com anyone ???

Anyone used it, did you think it was worth the cost ?

Researching family history. Dad's side, I can find EVERYTHING online at findagrave.com (that was amazing). I traced that side to the early 1700's easily.

Moms side, I cant find ANYTHING past my moms obituary. Even my living Aunt can only give me names to search. Its really weird how there's literally nothing to find.

So I was thinking of using Ancestory.com to try moms side.
    Thanks

I prefer 23 and me...especially for health reports

Comment

Head to the local ward of the Mormon church on a Wednesday night and ask about the family history Center. The most extensive genealogy records on the planet are owned by the Mormon church. There is free public access to all of it. Typically there are people there from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Wednesday nights that will gladly help you do genealogy research.
      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
        Head to the local ward of the Mormon church on a Wednesday night and ask about the family history Center. The most extensive genealogy records on the planet are owned by the Mormon church. There is free public access to all of it. Typically there are people there from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Wednesday nights that will gladly help you do genealogy research.
        I've seen you mention this a few times. So they would have the records of non-Mormons as well? I have a part of my family that are Mormons so I would assume there is a greater chance that they would be able to dig further than some stuff my FIL had researched.

Comment

welcome to the government database!

Comment

Just recently read a story about a guy who used one of those services and the DNA implicated his brother in several crimes.

Comment

Originally posted by 1carcrazyguy View Post
              Just recently read a story about a guy who used one of those services and the DNA implicated his brother in several crimes.
              There have been several murder cases (including some that caught serial killers) recently. The original Night Stalker being one of them.

Excellent tool for law enforcement if you ask me. DNA in a database like that is used to narrow down a suspect after cross referencing all of the potential matches. It's different but not so much from how they eventually located Osama Bin Laden.

Comment

I've tried to do this on my dads side but I run into a roadblock at the great-great grandparent level. Seems that the info just isn't there.. Might try the mormon idea

Comment

Found this interesting:

WRX

Comment

Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
                    Anyone used it, did you think it was worth the cost ?
                    sigpic

Comment

Yes.

The travel of my dad's family that I didn't know much about was neat. The other side is well documented back almost 2000 years.
                      sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                      17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                      13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                      86 SVO - Sold
                      '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                      01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                      65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by jewozzy View Post
                        I've seen you mention this a few times. So they would have the records of non-Mormons as well? I have a part of my family that are Mormons so I would assume there is a greater chance that they would be able to dig further than some stuff my FIL had researched.
                        They are freaks about records and buy them from everywhere in the world and store them in an old salt mine that has been converted into the world's largest archive / nuke proof shelter. They have records of everyone and not just Mormons.
                        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

My wife has no idea who her father is. Her mom told her it about many different men that could be her father, but the last was a guy that had been in prison for a while. He got out and my wife met him a couple of times and then he died of a heart attack. His wife gave my wife a hair brush that he used so my wife could do a DNA test to see if he was really her father. She chose not to do the test at the time and just accepted that he was her dad.

We've talked about it many times and she wonders about it but hasn't done anything with it. I've pondered submitting a DNA check just to see if he is but I figure it's not my place, even if I found out and didn't say anything. I think she chooses not to pursue it because there's the fear that her bio dad may be a serious POS (her mom didn't run around with the good crowd), but she's also said a few times that it would be really neat to find out she has a family out there that might actually give a shit about her if they knew she existed.

Comment

Don't give them any DNA, they'll be making clones of you next week! lol

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
                              Don't give them any DNA, they'll be making clones of you next week! lol
                              If they'd give me a clone to sit at my desk 40 hours per week, I'd give them DNA every day.

Comment

Working...
                              X