Server/Client OS compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server/Client OS compatibility

I've been thrown to the wolves a bit here at work and having to learn as I go, so I am turning to the site that knows all to get some information. For the record, I tried to google the question, but my search terms were not netting the info I am needing.

A little background... Due to the age of our existing hardware, we are budgeting to start replacing our servers and desktops/laptops next year. As with most system replacements, we are upgrading software at the same time, but the entire process will likely take 2-3 years due to budget constraints. Our desktops and laptops have been working mostly on XP Pro with a few Vista systems mixed in. We want to step up to Windows 7 Pro for the client machines, but this is where the questions start arising.

Here is the real question. I want to make sure these client machines include the 64 bit version of Win7 mainly for the obvious usable memory allotment (more than 3GB). With a 64 bit client OS, do the servers have to run 64 bit version of Windows Server as well? Will Win7 Pro join a domain that has Server 2003 hosting the Active Directory and Exchange systems in case we replace a couple client machines before the servers get in place?

I know the Active Directory profiles load a bit differently from XP to Vista, so that change with Win7 will not be a surprise.

Thoughts?

CLIFF NOTES:

Replacing servers and desktops/laptops at work next year, need to know if Win7 Pro 64 will require Server 2008 (or any other 64 bit server OS) or if it will connect with our existing 2003 x86 server setup.
    كافر

Originally posted by sc281
    Always better to be an Uncle than a Father. All the fun stuff and none of the expensive stuff.
    Originally posted by Trick Pony
    ...from what I've seen on here bcoop knows his shit when it comes to smoking meat.

Originally posted by JSTA2V View Post
    I've been thrown to the wolves a bit here at work and having to learn as I go, so I am turning to the site that knows all to get some information. For the record, I tried to google the question, but my search terms were not netting the info I am needing.

A little background... Due to the age of our existing hardware, we are budgeting to start replacing our servers and desktops/laptops next year. As with most system replacements, we are upgrading software at the same time, but the entire process will likely take 2-3 years due to budget constraints. Our desktops and laptops have been working mostly on XP Pro with a few Vista systems mixed in. We want to step up to Windows 7 Pro for the client machines, but this is where the questions start arising.

Here is the real question. I want to make sure these client machines include the 64 bit version of Win7 mainly for the obvious usable memory allotment (more than 3GB). With a 64 bit client OS, do the servers have to run 64 bit version of Windows Server as well? Will Win7 Pro join a domain that has Server 2003 hosting the Active Directory and Exchange systems in case we replace a couple client machines before the servers get in place?

I know the Active Directory profiles load a bit differently from XP to Vista, so that change with Win7 will not be a surprise.

Thoughts?

CLIFF NOTES:

Replacing servers and desktops/laptops at work next year, need to know if Win7 Pro 64 will require Server 2008 (or any other 64 bit server OS) or if it will connect with our existing 2003 x86 server setup.
    You'll have no problem joining a 64bit windows 7 machine to a 32bit server.

Comment

Here is the real question. I want to make sure these client machines include the 64 bit version of Win7 mainly for the obvious usable memory allotment (more than 3GB). With a 64 bit client OS, do the servers have to run 64 bit version of Windows Server as well?

No they don't, but why wouldn't you go with 64 bit as well, for the same resoning, more memory usability?

Will Win7 Pro join a domain that has Server 2003 hosting the Active Directory and Exchange systems in case we replace a couple client machines before the servers get in place?

Yes Windows 7 will join and AD Domain, 2000/2003/2008. There will be enhanced features with 2008 over 2003 and 2003 over 2000. Not that you'd go with 2000 obiously. The left over XP machines will also join any of the three.

Yes they do, but AD will handle it just fine, just make sure you have the most recent Service Packs installed.

How many users? if it's under 75, I would look into Small Business Server 2008. It includes the licensing for Exchange in it.

Thoughts?

CLIFF NOTES:

Replacing servers and desktops/laptops at work next year, need to know if Win7 Pro 64 will require Server 2008 (or any other 64 bit server OS) or if it will connect with our existing 2003 x86 server setup.[/QUOTE]

Comment

There have been known error's if you google joining a Win7 computer to a domain, but it's happened with 2003, 2008 etc.. There is a hotfix from MS.

Comment

Originally posted by ozzeran View Post
          There have been known error's if you google joining a Win7 computer to a domain, but it's happened with 2003, 2008 etc.. There is a hotfix from MS.
          You have no idea how bad this network is. None of the servers have had security updates applied since July 09 and I think that was done just because it wouldn't interrupt the daily operations as that is about the time we moved buildings. We have no redundancy, no backup servers, etc. Yes there is a data backup, but it was only cataloging 2 weeks of backups when I took over. Now we have 4 weeks. I'm 100% sure that the existing servers will have all updates applied before anything occurs since we will not be able to replace all of them at once.

As for the network size, we currently have ~25 users. 2 years ago we had 80, so our current Exchange license is for that. Wasted money? Yeah, probably. But the guy that was left in charge before me would not change anything. I'm guessing it was in fear that it something would not work right and he wouldn't know how to fix it.

You see, he's a SQL DBA, not a network admin. I've been doing all of the desk side support for the last 2 years, and only recently inherited the network as he has been out of the country for 3 months. I don't really expect that he will return either, which is why I am trying to get all of these ducks in a row so I have a better understanding of what needs to happen to make everything work with minimal interruptions.

Thanks for the information. That's exactly what I was looking for.
          كافر

Always better to be an Uncle than a Father. All the fun stuff and none of the expensive stuff.
          ...from what I've seen on here bcoop knows his shit when it comes to smoking meat.

Comment

the two are unrelated - you can have a mix of 32 and 64 bit servers and a mix of 32 and 64 bit clients. the interoperability willl work fine.

The key is more on the application side. there are many client apps that are not 64 bit compatible yet (ie vpn clients) so you need to test that on the client side. sometimes 32 bit apps will work, sometimes they wont. Some server applications (ie exchange 2010, Hyper-V) require a 64 bit server OS.

Thats what you need to be worried about. AD will work.
            Last edited by 1985gt; 11-17-2010, 06:08 PM.

Comment

No updates since July 09 is horrible, are you gonna bring them down soon for updates?

Look at this opportunity as awesome experience, hopefully other dude won't come back then you can ask for a raise.

Comment

Originally posted by ozzeran View Post
                No updates since July 09 is horrible, are you gonna bring them down soon for updates?

Look at this opportunity as awesome experience, hopefully other dude won't come back then you can ask for a raise.
                I'm thinking about getting the updates done over Thanksgiving weekend, but I'm not 100% on it yet as there are 12-15 servers (can't visualize exactly how many are on the rack).

And about the other guy not coming back, yeah, that's a distinct possibility, but the last email I got from him read like he would be back. He left nothing personal in his office, which leads me to believe he won't be back. He's easily expendable as we have a SQL contractor doing some programing for us and I think the HNICs realize just how much money they can save if the Chi-com doesn't return.

Hell, I need a damn raise even if he does come back. I am SO underpaid right now it's not funny.
                Last edited by HOOCBB; 11-17-2010, 08:51 PM.
                كافر

Comment

Originally posted by 1985gt View Post
                  the two are unrelated - you can have a mix of 32 and 64 bit servers and a mix of 32 and 64 bit clients. the interoperability willl work fine.

The key is more on the application side. there are many client apps that are not 64 bit compatible yet (ie vpn clients) so you need to test that on the client side. sometimes 32 bit apps will work, sometimes they wont. Some server applications (ie exchange 2010, Hyper-V) require a 64 bit server OS.

Thats what you need to be worried about. AD will work.
                  Yeah, I'm aware of that. Our database is Access front/SQL back (I know, I know). I think that will be our biggest concern as we don't really use any other applications except Adobe CS (on 2 computers) and Epicor Enterprise for our financials. Most everything else is part of the MS Office suite. I'm sure we will end up upgrading the accounting machines last due to this and give them some of the better existing machines if needed.
                  كافر

Comment

Are yall budgeting VMWare or still physical for physical?
                    Originally posted by MR EDD
                    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                      Are yall budgeting VMWare or still physical for physical?
                      probably still 100% physical, although I would not mind using VMware
                      كافر

Comment

Does seem like sort of a small environment for a full blown ESX implementation. You could consolidate some of your non-critical stuff to a free ESXi server.

Your backups will work the same and all that, just less hardware to do the samething. Just make sure the new hardware matches the HCL for ESXi.

Edit: Of course, with a budget for VMWare you could be given some pretty serious resiliency in your environment. Just depends on what you and your management want..

Comment

Follow up question on the security updates.

All of the servers are 2003 except for 1, which is 2000 and our Exchange server is 2003. Is there anything I need to look out for with these updates that may cause an issue? I am coordinating with our outside support on this, but may do it myself if there are no known issues.
                          كافر

Comment

Originally posted by JSTA2V View Post
                            Follow up question on the security updates.

All of the servers are 2003 except for 1, which is 2000 and our Exchange server is 2003. Is there anything I need to look out for with these updates that may cause an issue? I am coordinating with our outside support on this, but may do it myself if there are no known issues.
                            If you have outside support use them and make sure their SoW and SLA obligates them to fix things that happen due to the updates.

Comment

Working...
                            X