DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > The Armory

The Armory The definitive firearms forum of DFW Mustangs.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2020, 08:48 PM   #1
ram57ta
Lifer
 
ram57ta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dallas
Posts: 8,147
Default Springfield Hellcat 9mm

Picked one up at Academy today. I went for the standard model and not the OSP. Amazingly light for an 11+1 or 13+1 depending on which mag you choose (it comes with both)...physically it seems smaller than my Kel-Tec PF9 single stack with almost double the capacity. It is heavier...which I think will make it less snappy. Sights are WAY better. Looking forward to shooting it if I can find a range that's open.

Last edited by ram57ta; 03-25-2020 at 09:51 PM.
ram57ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:12 PM   #2
Jose
Lifer
 
Jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 48,472
Default

Doubt you'll find a range open but I'd be interested in checking it out to.
Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:49 PM   #3
ram57ta
Lifer
 
ram57ta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dallas
Posts: 8,147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post
Doubt you'll find a range open but I'd be interested in checking it out to.
Yeah that seems to be the norm these days sadly. Academy was only allowing 25 people in the store at all time (including employees). Been searching for one of these since it was announced last year so when I found ONE in stock I decided to grab it. Had to wait in line in front of the store on pre-marked 6ft spots and slowly make my way in. Same guy I bought my LCP II from was the one who sold me this one...retired DPD officer...very cool guy named George...I highly recommend him. Now I need to decide which 9mm to sell...the tiny Kel-Tec PF9 7+1 single stack that weighs nothing fully loaded...or the double stack Taurus Millennium G2 double stack with 2 mags...it's considerably larger than the Hellcat in every dimension..but holds less ammo. I know a lot of people hate Kel-Tec..but this little PF9 has been flawless..other than the terrible LONG trigger. Decisions, decisions.
ram57ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:13 PM   #4
John -- '02 HAWK
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Elsewhere
Posts: 2,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post
Doubt you'll find a range open but I'd be interested in checking it out to.
Eagle is open, both locations

I've been hunting for a mpx-k and was wondering what ffls were open
John -- '02 HAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:00 AM   #5
juiceweezl
Lifer
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,879
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram57ta View Post
Picked one up at Academy today. I went for the standard model and not the OSP. Amazingly light for an 11+1 or 13+1 depending on which mag you choose (it comes with both)...physically it seems smaller than my Kel-Tec PF9 single stack with almost double the capacity. It is heavier...which I think will make it less snappy. Sights are WAY better. Looking forward to shooting it if I can find a range that's open.
Frisco has been packed every time I've driven by the last 2 weeks including yesterday.
juiceweezl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:36 AM   #6
bird_dog0347
Punk Ass Douche
 
bird_dog0347's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Little Elm
Posts: 2,924
Default

I could take you as a guest to DPC, it's outdoors, and we'd have a bay all to ourselves so not a huge deal.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo View Post
Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo
bird_dog0347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:28 AM   #7
Jose
Lifer
 
Jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 48,472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram57ta View Post
Yeah that seems to be the norm these days sadly. Academy was only allowing 25 people in the store at all time (including employees). Been searching for one of these since it was announced last year so when I found ONE in stock I decided to grab it. Had to wait in line in front of the store on pre-marked 6ft spots and slowly make my way in. Same guy I bought my LCP II from was the one who sold me this one...retired DPD officer...very cool guy named George...I highly recommend him. Now I need to decide which 9mm to sell...the tiny Kel-Tec PF9 7+1 single stack that weighs nothing fully loaded...or the double stack Taurus Millennium G2 double stack with 2 mags...it's considerably larger than the Hellcat in every dimension..but holds less ammo. I know a lot of people hate Kel-Tec..but this little PF9 has been flawless..other than the terrible LONG trigger. Decisions, decisions.
Which Academy location did you go to? Wow! Didn't realize they were doing that at stores now. I heard about that somewhere at Best Buy (not DFW) but I wouldn't be surprised that it's happening here as well. What did the ammo situation look like there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
Eagle is open, both locations

I've been hunting for a mpx-k and was wondering what ffls were open
Probably to far for you but Brad at Cedar Creek Firearms in Seven Points is open by appointment I believe. I have an MPX pistol and love it. Sort of a modern rendition of the H&K MP5. Magazines are expensive as shit but I've been lucky that mine has worked reliably with the cheaper Gen1 mags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
I could take you as a guest to DPC, it's outdoors, and we'd have a bay all to ourselves so not a huge deal.
I might be interested in that if it's an open invite I shot a Rangemaster Shotgun Instructor class there last October and really liked the range.
Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:05 AM   #8
bird_dog0347
Punk Ass Douche
 
bird_dog0347's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Little Elm
Posts: 2,924
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post
Which Academy location did you go to? Wow! Didn't realize they were doing that at stores now. I heard about that somewhere at Best Buy (not DFW) but I wouldn't be surprised that it's happening here as well. What did the ammo situation look like there?



Probably to far for you but Brad at Cedar Creek Firearms in Seven Points is open by appointment I believe. I have an MPX pistol and love it. Sort of a modern rendition of the H&K MP5. Magazines are expensive as shit but I've been lucky that mine has worked reliably with the cheaper Gen1 mags.



I might be interested in that if it's an open invite I shot a Rangemaster Shotgun Instructor class there last October and really liked the range.
Sure man, I don't want to take a bunch of people at once, but 1 or 2 would be ok... Might be a week or two before I'm able to get away and go but not a problem at all.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo View Post
Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo
bird_dog0347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:44 AM   #9
svauto-erotic855
I know everything, I'm older than you
VIP Member
 
svauto-erotic855's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,330
Default

Ultra short barreled 9 mm handguns have never appealed to me. A g19 is really as short as I want to go and I've never had a problem pocket carrying one. If I want something smaller I'll choose something other than a 9 mm.
__________________
Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.
svauto-erotic855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:55 AM   #10
ram57ta
Lifer
 
ram57ta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dallas
Posts: 8,147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post
Which Academy location did you go to? Wow! Didn't realize they were doing that at stores now. I heard about that somewhere at Best Buy (not DFW) but I wouldn't be surprised that it's happening here as well. What did the ammo situation look like there?
NW Highway in NE Dallas. There are a small handful of stores that show to have it in stock but I've learned from experience not to trust online inventory counts. I called and talked to the salesman and told him I would not drive up there unless he physically verified that it was there and asked him to put my name on it. Most stores that have gotten this gun only get like 2 or 3 per month.
ram57ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:01 AM   #11
ram57ta
Lifer
 
ram57ta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dallas
Posts: 8,147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
Ultra short barreled 9 mm handguns have never appealed to me. A g19 is really as short as I want to go and I've never had a problem pocket carrying one. If I want something smaller I'll choose something other than a 9 mm.
I've never had an issue with compact 9mm's. For a while I was carrying +p 147grn in the Kel Tec....talk about snappy!! My gripe about the Kel Tec and the Ruger LC9 is the terrible sights and the trigger. I can shoot either pretty well but it takes a steady hand and lots of practice to have good shot placement. The trigger on this Hellcat is a lot like the new trigger on the LCP II that I bought in November...both are leaps and bounds better than on the previous versions. I think the better sights and heavier weight along with the better ergos will make me a LOT more accurate with this gun.
ram57ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 12:21 PM   #12
Rick Modena
Cockasaurusmex
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Still not luvin da police...
Posts: 33,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
Ultra short barreled 9 mm handguns have never appealed to me. A g19 is really as short as I want to go and I've never had a problem pocket carrying one. If I want something smaller I'll choose something other than a 9 mm.
I feel the same way, but I don't like carrying a full size gun, just to damn uncomfortable. I love my G-43, though its not as accurate as I would like, but Jose's G-43 has had some work done to it and it shoots right on time. I probably need to do that to my G-43.
It's the only 9mm I have, I once owned a 2nd GEN G-22 when they first came out, but I sold it. I never could get used to it, but have since changed my opinion of the Glocks, I now own a couple.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.
Rick Modena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:07 PM   #13
Rafa
Lifer
 
Rafa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,145
Default

I have been thinking of getting one as well. My brother is looking into one as well. I love the 11+1/13+1 mag. I'm pretty sure Academy where I live had one in stock awhile back, just never pulled trigger on it
Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:08 PM   #14
Jose
Lifer
 
Jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 48,472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
Sure man, I don't want to take a bunch of people at once, but 1 or 2 would be ok... Might be a week or two before I'm able to get away and go but not a problem at all.
I'd like to go and check it out. We were shooting on the big wide buy that has a classroom area behind it (think it was the first range as you pull in). I've been looking at memberships and it seems pretty reasonable once you get past the initiation fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
Ultra short barreled 9 mm handguns have never appealed to me. A g19 is really as short as I want to go and I've never had a problem pocket carrying one. If I want something smaller I'll choose something other than a 9 mm.
I have like 3; a Glock 43, Ruger LCR in .357/.38, and a Taurus M85 in .38. I only carry them when I have to dress up and need to carry something inconspicuously or use it for a backup gun. I try to shoot them fairly regularly and I do shoot them pretty good out to about 15 feet. Normally I prefer a 17 or 19 sized gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram57ta View Post
I've never had an issue with compact 9mm's. For a while I was carrying +p 147grn in the Kel Tec....talk about snappy!! My gripe about the Kel Tec and the Ruger LC9 is the terrible sights and the trigger. I can shoot either pretty well but it takes a steady hand and lots of practice to have good shot placement. The trigger on this Hellcat is a lot like the new trigger on the LCP II that I bought in November...both are leaps and bounds better than on the previous versions. I think the better sights and heavier weight along with the better ergos will make me a LOT more accurate with this gun.
Terrible sights are a given for "pocket" guns that are basically used at bad breath range. At least with the Glock 43, can you get pretty good sights and better trigger options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Modena View Post
I feel the same way, but I don't like carrying a full size gun, just to damn uncomfortable. I love my G-43, though its not as accurate as I would like, but Jose's G-43 has had some work done to it and it shoots right on time. I probably need to do that to my G-43.
It's the only 9mm I have, I once owned a 2nd GEN G-22 when they first came out, but I sold it. I never could get used to it, but have since changed my opinion of the Glocks, I now own a couple.
Ya only a Ghost connector and a little massaging of it by the Glock Doctor
Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:30 PM   #15
bird_dog0347
Punk Ass Douche
 
bird_dog0347's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Little Elm
Posts: 2,924
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post
I'd like to go and check it out. We were shooting on the big wide buy that has a classroom area behind it (think it was the first range as you pull in). I've been looking at memberships and it seems pretty reasonable once you get past the initiation fee.



I have like 3; a Glock 43, Ruger LCR in .357/.38, and a Taurus M85 in .38. I only carry them when I have to dress up and need to carry something inconspicuously or use it for a backup gun. I try to shoot them fairly regularly and I do shoot them pretty good out to about 15 feet. Normally I prefer a 17 or 19 sized gun.



Terrible sights are a given for "pocket" guns that are basically used at bad breath range. At least with the Glock 43, can you get pretty good sights and better trigger options.



Ya only a Ghost connector and a little massaging of it by the Glock Doctor
If you're talking about the one with the asphalt ground that's the Carrollton Police range, but sometimes classes are held in there if the PD doesn't need it.

The fee is really reasonable considering how much freedom you have there. I got it for a place to be able to practice for USPSA as I can have a whole bay to myself, draw from my holster, move, shoot fast as I like, etc. and come and go any time during the daylight hours.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo View Post
Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo
bird_dog0347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:38 PM   #16
Jose
Lifer
 
Jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 48,472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
If you're talking about the one with the asphalt ground that's the Carrollton Police range, but sometimes classes are held in there if the PD doesn't need it.

The fee is really reasonable considering how much freedom you have there. I got it for a place to be able to practice for USPSA as I can have a whole bay to myself, draw from my holster, move, shoot fast as I like, etc. and come and go any time during the daylight hours.
Yes I believe that is the one you are talking. Nice cover overhead to so it was shady.

So what I understand, no rifles or PCC? Also I thought I heard from someone that it's basically 24 hour access so you can do night shooting.
Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM   #17
bird_dog0347
Punk Ass Douche
 
bird_dog0347's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Little Elm
Posts: 2,924
Default

Correct, pistols only, and rimfire rifles are allowed but I'd have to check the rules on PCC. The code I think works 24/7 to get in, each member gets his/her own code. I do know the rules say outdoors bays are sun up to sun down, but the airgun range indoors might allow 24/7, never checked.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo View Post
Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo
bird_dog0347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:15 PM   #18
68RR
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,293
Default

Bought one for my son. So far over 400 rounds down the pipe without a glitch. Very pleased with the accuracy. No problem with controlling it, or it being a bit snappish. I'm used to shooting big Magnums, so it's tame compared to those. The Range I belong to is open but ask you to call ahead to prevent crowding.
__________________
Natural law. Sons are put on this earth to trouble their fathers.
68RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
nay sez god i need cock, nay sez shoot load in me, nay wants white cock asap, nays cock got dem aids, nays dick is mishapen

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:13 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.