No announcement yet.

One Wire Alternator High Voltage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was running a 95 contour 130 amp 3g on my fox, i think it was the one with a 3.5L. Had to index the mounting holes differently and grind the mounting bracket a bit to get it to fit.

Comment

Contour isn't right.

After lots of digging, mid 90s taurus with the 3.0 ohv v6 or 1995 mustang 5.0 should work. Both have 130 amp 3g with 7 inch mount spacing.
      1971 Ford Torino - Time to go bigger and better.

2011 F150 Limited - Stock with a 6.2

Comment

So I installed the 3g and it makes 14-15v but it still bounces around just like the previous alternator.

If I disconnect the alternator and run the engine, I am seeing 12v but it still bounces around.

I can run the engine with key off as the ignition is on a dedicated switch and it still bounces around. Ive checked the box setup and it looks correct.

What else should I be looking for? I'm stumped

Comment

Could a faulty ignition box or coil be creating these weird voltage readings?

Comment

Originally posted by Torinoman View Post
            Could a faulty ignition box or coil be creating these weird voltage readings?
            No. You may have ground loop issues. Try going with a single ground from the battery to the block and a single one from the battery to the body. It sounds like your voltage regulator is having trouble finding a consistent ground.
            Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
              No. You may have ground loop issues. Try going with a single ground from the battery to the block and a single one from the battery to the body. It sounds like your voltage regulator is having trouble finding a consistent ground.
              Battery is in the trunk. Battery is grounded to the body. With the engine running the battery sees a constant 14v.

Engine is grounded at 2 different places. I added a third from the alternator to the body with no changes. Still seeing weird voltage jumps at the starter solenoid positive junction while running.

I swapped to a 3g that is hooked to a key on/off setup. Weird voltage readings have continued with the alternator key OFF with the engine running. I think I can rule out the alternator at this point since the weird readings continue when i don't have it on.

Comment

Battery is in the trunk. Battery is grounded to the body. With the engine running the battery sees a constant 14v.

Engine is grounded at 2 different places. I added a third from the alternator to the body with no changes. Still seeing weird voltage jumps at the starter solenoid positive junction while running.

I swapped to a 3g that is hooked to a key on/off setup. Weird voltage readings have continued with the alternator key OFF with the engine running. I think I can rule out the alternator at this point since the weird readings continue when i don't have it on.
                That is your problem right there. The body is the worst place for the ground to be. Your voltage regulator is having a hard time finding the zero baseline and you have multiple ground loops. You can run the yellow wire to the junction and it will dampen most of the swings but you still need to ground the battery directly to the block if you want to eliminate them.
                Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Don't most trunk relocations ground to the body? I should mention, 1971 Torino is unibody, not body on frame if that makes a difference.

You mention the voltage regulator not getting a good ground, but the voltage jumps around with the alternator disconnected while the engine is running.

Comment

Don't most trunk relocations ground to the body? I should mention, 1971 Torino is unibody, not body on frame if that makes a difference.

You mention the voltage regulator not getting a good ground, but the voltage jumps around with the alternator disconnected while the engine is running.
                    They do but that doesn't mean that it is ideal.

Switch your meter to AC voltage and with the alternator turned off check for AC voltage feedback from your fuel pump and ignition box. You may also want to put a fresh battery in your meter to make sure it is reading correctly.

Can you tell me what components are on your car that draw power from the electrical system?

Comment

They do but that doesn't mean that it is ideal.

Switch your meter to AC voltage and with the alternator turned off check for AC voltage feedback from your fuel pump and ignition box. You may also want to put a fresh battery in your meter to make sure it is reading correctly.

Can you tell me what components are on your car that draw power from the electrical system?
                      What do you mean by check AC voltage feedback? Just switch the meter to AC and measure accross what exactly?

I can run the engine with the ignition as the only current draw. I've disconnected the fans and the power to the factory wiring. The fuel pump is mechanical.

The ignition is a crane fireball box with matching coil. The distributor is a ford duraspark.

Comment

What do you mean by check AC voltage feedback? Just switch the meter to AC and measure accross what exactly?

I can run the engine with the ignition as the only current draw. I've disconnected the fans and the power to the factory wiring. The fuel pump is mechanical.

The ignition is a crane fireball box with matching coil. The distributor is a ford duraspark.
                        Normally there is zero AC voltage that can be seen in a DC system unless something is amiss. Check the power wires coming from your ignition box to see if you can get a reading of any AC voltage.

It is completely impossible for your batteries voltage to jump higher if there is nothing charging it; it can only get lower from the draw on it when you are running total loss.

Comment

Normally there is zero AC voltage that can be seen in a DC system unless something is amiss. Check the power wires coming from your ignition box to see if you can get a reading of any AC voltage.

It is completely impossible for your batteries voltage to jump higher if there is nothing charging it; it can only get lower from the draw on it when you are running total loss.
                          12 is about the highest I see when testing with alternator off. But it drops to 2 then 8 then 4 then 12 then 1 then 9 then 2 etc etc etc.

With the alternator on, its behaves similar but peaks around 17 sometimes.

Comment

Have you considered having your battery tested? You may also want to test your meter against another one.

Comment

I've tried this with 2 different meters and got the same results.

Also, the voltage at the battery doesn't fluctuate when running.

Comment

Working...
                              X