Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scuba Certification

Are any of you Scuba certified?

We went SNUBA diving while in Jamaica a couple of weeks ago and absolutely loved it. The wife and I want to get Scuba certified now for our next vacation. Is there anything you guys would recommend? A facility for certification? We are on NE side of the metroplex in Greenville.

The only issue I had with it were the flippers. It felt like I bruised my foot and dealt with some pain deep in my foot at about the mid line. It may be attributed to having never used flippers before.
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

I did my PADI cert years ago at a resort that offered it in 3 days. Day one was test and pool, day two was pool and open water entry, the 3rd was cert diving with the instructor. I think you can do the classroom stuff online now.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

If you're interested, I can make you a great deal on your regulator and BCD for you and your wife. We haven't used it in a number of years. Quality equipment ,properly stored. Regulators would HAVE to be serviced before I would use them. (seals dry up and fail over time). PM me if interested (or anyone else for that matter)..
      Last edited by dcs13; 05-31-2018, 02:09 PM. Reason: added

Comment

I got open water certified in the early 90's in Dallas and then got my advanced a few years later at Lake Travis and Aquarena Springs. Did my first saltwater night dive off the coast of Kona Hawaii in 2003 and it was AWESOME!! Haven't been diving since 03 but sure would love to go again.

Comment

Dove Playa Del Carmen Cenotes (sorta like caves), Belize, some places in Texas. Love it! We got certified in Waco -- a Baylor professor teaches the public for free at the local YMCA. All it cost was $100 donation to the Y. Great service to the community. Diving is incredible.
          2004 Z06 Commemorative Ed.

Comment

If and when u get your own fins buy the split fins and thank me later....

Comment

I started with Padi open water and then progressed to Naui advanced open water. It’s nice to have your own equipment but it gets expensive and can take up a lot of space when traveling, don’t forget about the required annual maintenance needed on BCD’s & regulators. I take my own basic essentials mask, snorkel, fins, boots and regulators when I go anywhere. Almost any reputable dive shop will rent you everything else for around 10-15 per day when you dive through their shop. The most recent certification was through Scuba toys in Carrollton and it was a great experience. Some dive shops will cut you a discount on equipment if you get certified in their shop so make sure you ask about equipment discounts. Also look to see if they sell their rental equipment if you want a full set up. It’s a great experience, and when I go anywhere on vacation, I always look at what dive spots are around, and really love to dive. Let me know if you have any questions. Most dive shops will certify you in either Lake Travis or Clear springs scuba park in Terrell.

And I have to second the spit fins, well worth the investment
              Last edited by silver_2000_tj; 05-31-2018, 08:23 PM.

Comment

I try and dive anywhere we go on vacation ocean wise. I’ve dove in Maui, Cayman Islands, Cozumel several times, Antigua, and St Thomas. If you invest in any equipment, I would advise a quality mask first. I usually use the supplier bcd, tank, etc, but I’ve found the masks usually suck and if my face is not comfortable it’s hard for me to enjoy the dive. Plus that’s easy enough to throw in your suitcase.
                "You don't so much drive it, more like poke it with a sharp stick and channel the fury when you piss it off."

FFL & LTC Instructor
                http://firstresponsefirearms.com/
                Factory Five MK4 Cobra
                Build thread-http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17889
                http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/BlitzAttack65/
                www.wix.com/cdurhamwot/blitzattack-mk4-build
                sigpic

Comment

Been certified for 6 years now. I recommend blue sea adventures in Garland, Robert is a good guy and if you get Eric to teach it's even better. And yeah, they will take you to Clear Spring, which is nice, but it's nowhere near as clear as the ocean. Here is a video I made from there.

Comment

Thanks everyone. We are in the early stages of this. It is even more exciting knowing there is a place right down the road in Terrell. I had the most trouble with thr mask and fins, so those are definitely a must.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                    Originally posted by Leah
                    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Most of the lakes in north Texas are TERRIBLE for diving because there is practically zero visibility...Possum Kingdom has decent visibility...but just for fun me and a friend jumped in Joe Pool just to see how bad it was....and man it was like swimming in mud. Ocean diving is easily the best visibility...but is also the most expensive.

Comment

In Russia you just take shots of vodka (several) and hand out the scuba gear.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                          Most of the lakes in north Texas are TERRIBLE for diving because there is practically zero visibility...Possum Kingdom has decent visibility...but just for fun me and a friend jumped in Joe Pool just to see how bad it was....and man it was like swimming in mud. Ocean diving is easily the best visibility...but is also the most expensive.
                          Balmorhea out in west texas was ocean clear, but that pool is closed indefinitely due to structural damage. Pissed that the park is closed, but I also laugh since the locals out there are assholes.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                            Balmorhea out in west texas was ocean clear, but that pool is closed indefinitely due to structural damage. Pissed that the park is closed, but I also laugh since the locals out there are assholes.
                            Well that sucks....never got to dive there but I did get to go swimming there when I was 14....cold ass water...but clear as glass.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                              Well that sucks....never got to dive there but I did get to go swimming there when I was 14....cold ass water...but clear as glass.
                              Just looked it up and they are saying March of 2019 is the reopen date. Not sure which is colder, there or the San Marcos river. Last time at balmorhea, I was in a 7mm wetsuit and quite comfortable.

Went swimming without the wetsuit and it was a mistake, I could handle the cold, but the damned fish were biting and chasing people. Little bastard gave me a purple nurple.

Comment

Working...
                              X