Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The choice I hope no one else has to make.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The choice I hope no one else has to make.

How do I reconcile what I remember versus what I see now. That is the questions I ask myself as I stand at the end of my father's hospital bed.

I remember the few stories he told me about Vietnam like the convoy he and his team went to rescue only to find them all dead. Like most veterans he did not like to talk about it.

I remember the first day of school in first grade where he was working as the crossing guard in full police uniform and then being called to the school that same day when I hit a kid in the face with my Speed Buggy lunch box for picking on me. Kneeling down and asking me what happened. His only response....."knock that shit off".

The news clipping I had of him delivering a baby as a Hurst patrol officer.

I remember the stories of cases he worked as a Tarrant County sheriff's deputy.

The interviews he did with Henry Lee Lucas in Huntsville where he sat on death row.

They year he spent working the murder of Amber Hagerman and the case that led to his retirement from the sheriff's office, the murder of Opal Jennings.

Seeing him on the news as one of the investigators in the county courthouse shootings.

The things that happened during raids on drug houses. Some funny, some not.

Him teaching me how to drive, shoot guns, and work on cars a little.

Today was the day I had to look at the frail old man laying in the bed before me. Today was the day I had to decide to turn off his life support and lose the man I feared, respected and loved.

RIP dad until we meet again.

Signed
    Your Son

Damn, man. Awful decision, R.I.P pops...
    Originally posted by Silverback
    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Damn man. I'm sorry

Rest in peace, bamf.

Comment

That is NEVER an easy decision to make. Your Dad was a good man, and he made a positive difference in this world, and in the lives of many people in it.
        You did right by him. I'm sure he would not have wanted to go on like that.
        "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

No words... speechless

Comment

I'm so sorry man...I can't even imagine. Your dad was a good man.

Comment

Sorry to hear.

I just had to do that with my mom in March. It sux.

RIP to your dad.
              sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
              17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
              13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
              86 SVO - Sold
              '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
              01 TJ - new toy - Sold
              65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

My condolences. Sounds like you have a ton of fond memories!

Comment

Brutal, but the only choice.

Comment

Focus on the good things, remember the important stuff, and know that the frail man in the end loved you and was proud of thean you've become. I know that's how my dad would feel, I know that's what he'd tell me if he were still here, and I'm sure yours would to. He probably tell you to knock that shit out and do what needs to be done. Take the time to grieve

Comment

I had to make the decision last year, and I have no regrets. If I could have told my dad the situation and his condition, he would have said “Scott, turn that sumbitch off”. His only possible futur was bedridden in a nursing home. I helped dad leave this life on his terms. I suspect you did the same thing. Sounds like you had an awesome dad!

Comment

Condolences. Time will heal even though it may not seem like it at the moment.
                        WRX

Comment

Condolences and R.I.P. to a great man.

Comment

Very sorry

Condolences to you and your family/friends

RIP

Comment

We all go at some point. You made the right call and helped your dad to not linger in an undignified way. When it's my time I hope that there's someone there as strong as you to help me along
                              Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Working...
                              X