House GOP to work on repeal of Obamacare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House GOP to work on repeal of Obamacare

House Republicans are wasting no time making good on their campaign pledge to repeal President Barack Obama’s health care reform law: Floor debate on repeal will begin Friday, with a final vote scheduled for Jan. 12.

Speaker-designate John Boehner (Ohio) and other House GOP leaders made repeal of the health care law a key component of their successful 2010 campaign to capture control of the House. The Members of the 112th Congress will be sworn in Wednesday.

But despite the GOP leaders’ promises, tea party activists are skeptical about their resolve, and a quick push to repeal the law has widely been seen as important to demonstrating the Republicans’ commitment to the movement, which was central to the GOP’s electoral successes.

Republicans were expected to post the repeal bill, dubbed the Repeal of the Job Killing Health Care Law Act, on the Rules Committee’s website Monday night, and the committee will consider the measure Thursday. The legislation will be a simple repeal of the entire health care law, which Obama signed in March 2010.

Brad Dayspring, a spokesman for House Majority Leader-designate Eric Cantor (Va.), said Republicans were moving to repeal the law because of its economic effects.

“ObamaCare is a job killer for businesses small and large, and the top priority for House Republicans is going to be to cut spending and grow the economy and jobs. Further, ObamaCare failed to lower costs as the president promised that it would and does not allow people to keep the care they currently have if they like it. That is why the House will repeal it next week,” Dayspring said.

The repeal legislation will likely easily pass in the House and could garner the two-thirds support needed to override a presidential veto. But with the Senate still controlled by Democrats, the bill has virtually no chance of making it to Obama’s desk.

Republicans likely know this and all this will do is put the libtards that support this monstrosity on record...

I wonder how this fracture will play out. I read an essay on Obama's vanity and how the direction the GOP takes could be taken as a personal assault by the president. It'll be interesting theater to watch.

Comment

Unfortunately Sean, it is nothing but theater. The House will easily overturn Obamacare but everyone already knows that the votes don't exist to repeal it in the Senate. There are no where near enough votes to override a Presidential veto..

The best we can hope for is an unconstitutional ruling in the Supreme Court. Beyond that we hope that Congress doesn't fund it or at least starts to fix it a bit at a time.

Comment

Seems like I heard somthing about the committees starving it out by not funding any of it. I just can't bring myself to imagine that the Supreme Court will find it Constitutional. That being said, sometimes it seems that they are reading an entirely different document than I've read in many of their rulings...
        sigpic

Comment

Starving it out won't be good enough. Next time the repubs piss off the public and the commies get back into power, what will they do? You guessed it. They'll simply put the funds in it.

Comment

Working...
          X