Post up your car audio setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
    Debatable depending on how anal the listener is...the older stuff was definitely built with more visual appeal than a lot of the junk they sell now. Most audiophiles will say the 7909 was by FAR the best car CD player ever made (18 bit dual D/A converters, 8x oversampling, S/N ratio of 105db, dynamic range of 105db)....but yet like all car decks of its time...skipped a lot on bumps..and only had analog outputs. Their GOOD tape decks were comparable to the high-end Kenwoods. I think the biggest deal about Alpine was...and to an extent still is...those green chicklet buttons.
    Old Alps are actually better than the ipod shit they make now... Fucken mp3 bullshit.

That said the Denon Z1 is known to be the best cd player made followed closely by the Mac that came in GTs as an option or its uglier cousin the Clarion 9255 (DRX>DRZ). The 7909 was a bad ass unit though.

I have an old school Digi-Max Alpine setup, twin 3558 Alpine amps, all old school Cliff Design mids and tweeters JL 12w6, 3861 crossover/time delay, 1310 source controller and 5959S fiber optic changer... Shit was 5 figures 20 yrs ago, and still sounds bad f'in ass when the amps feel like working. Lol.

Stang has all Focal speakers, 12W7, 3 Phoenix Gold ZPAs, PG eq/crossover, Clarion DRX9255 with fiber optic changer. It doesn't sound quite as good as the Alpine setup but its at least twice as loud.

Don't care if peeps know what is in em, neither car has moved more that 20 miles in the last 5 years. Hard to steal shit when they don't get driven. Lol

Comment

Technology was not better 15 years ago. Today's stuff is better, cleaner, more powerful, and more efficient. I too had a 1310 with changer and a Sony DAT deck with changer but none of that stuff holds up. The biggest problem today is the quality of recording people are putting into their system. GIGO

Comment

i remebr having 4 bazooka 10's phonix gold amps and a nak 760 pullout in my 83 280 z... it pounded lol
        first class white trash

Comment

I agree what EW said. The tech is way better now but back 15-20yrs ago a lot of companys were claiming 500w rms when really they were putting out 1000-1500.

EW do yoou guys clamp test any amps at your shop? I am doing a new build and would like to find someone with a clamp. I am also lookin to get a good amp for my mids and highs.

Comment

No but you should be able to measure the output by AC voltage with a meter.

Comment

Ok thanks. I may have to stop by your shop my new box willl be done this weekend and I would like to get all the highs and mids taken care of before I put it in there.

Comment

Originally posted by EW View Post
                Technology was not better 15 years ago. Today's stuff is better, cleaner, more powerful, and more efficient. I too had a 1310 with changer and a Sony DAT deck with changer but none of that stuff holds up. The biggest problem today is the quality of recording people are putting into their system. GIGO
                What cd player made right now is as good (or in your words better) as a Z1 or old school 5959S, McIntosh or Clarion 9255?

If the Z1 was a piece of shit, why do I still have people sending me emails weekly asking if I still have them for sale when I sold them over 2 years ago? Wouldnt it be easier to buy a newer better radio for less than 2 grand?

Comment

Working...
                X