Drone Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drone Hunting

The small Colorado town of Deer Trail, population 546, is seeking to pass a local ordinance that would legalize the sport of drone-hunting. The law would create a licensing system that would certify drone hunters and allow them to collect bounties on drones.

Currently the law’s backers are circulating the proposed ordinance which will be considered at Deer Trail’s next town council meeting on August 6.

“Throughout its history, the Town of Deer Trail has maintained its independence from all other political entities,” reads the ordinance. “Therefore, the Town of Deer Trail declares its supremacy over its territorial boundaries and, with respect to this ordinance, the supremacy and sovereignty of its airspace and its citizen’s right to defend the airspace of the town, their homes, businesses and related properties from unwanted incursions by unmanned aerial vehicles.”

The provision outlines clear bounties on drones and drone parts. Wings or wreckage nets hunters $25 while a mostly-intact drone is worth $100. Drones and parts would be considered town property.

“We do not want drones in town,” said Deer Trail resident Phillip Steel, who drafted the law. “They fly in town, they get shot down.”

“The Town of Deer Trail shall issue a reward of $100 to any shooter who presents a valid hunting license and the following identifiable parts of an unmanned aerial vehicle whose markings and configuration are consistent with those used on any similar craft known to be owned or operated by the United States federal government,” says the ordinance.

resized_99265-us_news_drones_75-15339_t728

“This is a very symbolic ordinance,” added Steel. “Basically, I do not believe in the idea of a surveillance society, and I believe we are heading that way.”

Drone-hunting licenses will be available for $25 and are valid for one year from the day of issue.

Would-be drone hunters are limited in what they may use to take down unwanted drones, and must equip themselves only with 12-gauge or smaller shotguns, loaded only with ammunition that’s safe to fire into the sky, namely lead and steel shot and no shotguns with rifled barrels. Tracers are completely disallowed.

The law also maintains a provision for the use of depleted uranium “anti-drone loads” which are a hoax.

Hunters are also prohibited from firing at unmanned aircraft flying at altitudes over 1,000, which rules out most types of drones.

Drone-hunters are limited to thee shots per drone every two hours, ensuring that if no bounty is collected with three rounds that things don’t amount to people shooting into the air for no reason.

The proposed law allows licensed drone-hunters to shoot down any unmanned aircraft “the bounty hunter feels the aircraft is stalking them, if they maneuver as if they’re following someone, or if they display any weaponry.”

If a licensed drone-hunter accidentally takes out a privately-owned drone (remote-controlled helicopter or airplane) he or she must pay the owner (totally bummed-out kid) the full value of the drone — that is unless the drone is invading their airspace (flying over their property).

Deer Trail town clerk Kim Oldfield said, “I can see it as a benefit, monetarily speaking, because of the novelty of the ordinance.”

Oldfield added that Deer Trail residents were talking about holding a drone-shooting festival, with shooting clays for target practice. “We’re the home of the world’s first rodeo, so we could home of the world’s first drone hunt.”

“If they were to read it for the title alone and not for the novelty and what it really is, it sounds scary, and it sounds super vigilante and frightening,” said Oldfield. “The real idea behind it is it’s a potential fun, moneymaker, and it could be really cool for our community and we’ve needed something to bring us together, and this could be it.”

While many hunters are boycotting Colorado following the adoption of strict new gun control laws, it’s foreseeable that more than a few people from in-state and otherwise would make an exception for Deer Creek’s decidedly anti-establishment drone shoots.

To find out more about Deer Creek and their upcoming decision on whether or not to declare open season on drones, surveillance and otherwise, head over to the Deer Creek History Facebook page.

I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

/facepalm. I like the idea behind the ordinance, but this is pretty dumb. Drones fly at what 150+MPH, at least? You'd need radar just to tell when one is coming, then be a good enough shot to hit it and bring it down with a shotgun. Ain't. Fuckin'. Happenin.

Comment

Too bad all drones will be flying well out of reach of shotguns. Sounds great on the surface, but it's really just bullshit.
      Originally posted by BradM
      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
      Originally posted by Leah
      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Town issued emp gun?

Comment

They mention in the story that it's a gimmick to make a statement, not to actually hit an actual drone.

Comment

Shoot from a hot-air balloon
            WRX

Comment

Fight fire with fire.

When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                They mention in the story that it's a gimmick to make a statement, not to actually hit an actual drone.
                You know some stumpfucker is going to take it seriously and start blasting rounds into the air.

Comment

Only way it will work is if they get Surface to air missile. Or a (ciws) system.
                  sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
                  🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

CO buries the needle on both spectrums with gun control, doesn't it?

Oppressive control & totally out of control.

Even if this story came from the Onion, comedy is based on reality.

(lest anyone think I have anything but love for CO, here are a few trout I caught there last week)
                    Brook, Rainbow, Brown

Last edited by barronj; 07-19-2013, 09:36 PM.
                    Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnboy
                      After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

FAA Warns Against ‘Drone Hunting,’ Shooting At Unmanned Aircraft For Reward

July 19, 2013 4:36 PM

Federal aviation officials are warning that people who fire guns at drones could be prosecuted or fined.

WASHINGTON — People who fire guns at drones are endangering the public and property and could be prosecuted or fined, the Federal Aviation Administration warned Friday.

The FAA released a statement in response to questions about an ordinance under consideration in the tiny farming community of Deer Trail, Colo., that would encourage hunters to shoot down drones. The administration reminded the public that it regulates the nation’s airspace, including the airspace over cities and towns.

A drone “hit by gunfire could crash, causing damage to persons or property on the ground, or it could collide with other objects in the air,” the statement said. “Shooting at an unmanned aircraft could result in criminal or civil liability, just as would firing at a manned airplane.”

Under the proposed ordinance, Deer Trail would grant hunting permits to shoot drones. The permits would cost $25 each. The town would also encourage drone hunting by awarding $100 to anyone who presents a valid hunting license and identifiable pieces of a drone that has been shot down.

Deer Trail resident Phillip Steel, 48, author of the proposal, said in an interview that he has 28 signatures on a petition — roughly 10 percent of the town’s registered voters. Under Colorado law, that requires local officials to formally consider the proposal at a meeting next month, he said. Town officials would then have the option of adopting the ordinance or putting it on the ballot in an election this fall, he said.

The proposed ordinance is mostly a symbolic protest against small, civilian drones that are coming into use in the United States, Steel said. He acknowledged that it’s unlikely there are any drones in use near Deer Trail.

“I don’t want to live in a surveillance society. I don’t feel like being in a virtual prison,” Steel said. “This is a pre-emptive strike.”

He dismissed the FAA’s warning. “The FAA doesn’t have the power to make a law,” he said.

The FAA is working on regulations to safely integrate drones into the skies over the U.S., where manned aircraft are prevalent. The Congress gave the FAA until 2015 to develop the regulations, but the agency is behind schedule. FAA officials have estimated that once regulations are in place, thousands of drones will be in use across the country for a wide variety of purposes, from helping farmers figure out which crops need watering to tracking sea lions in remote rocky outcroppings to aiding search and rescue missions.

But the Deer Trail proposal is the latest ripple in a spreading backlash against drones. Dozens of laws aimed at curbing the use of the unmanned aircraft have been introduced in states and cities. Privacy advocates have expressed fear that police will use drones to cheaply and effectively conduct widespread surveillance without warrants.

The Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International, a drone industry trade group, was concerned enough last year about people threatening to shoot down drones that it issued a statement warning that such comments were “irresponsible, dangerous and unlawful.”

Michael Toscano, president and CEO of the group, expressed similar concerns Friday, saying drones “are being designed to serve the public good….The myriad of important uses will be imperiled if they become targets. … The suggestion that Americans take up arms against unmanned aircraft also endangers citizens on the ground.”
                        Last edited by kingjason; 07-19-2013, 11:26 PM.
                        Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
                          I could see some crazy mofo building a RC F16 with shotgun shells somehow loaded in it, chasing a drone down popping a shot at it. Drone on Drone I guess.

Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Having private drones up in the air to take down any federal or state drone is the only way to fight this

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                              Having private drones up in the air to take down any federal or state drone is the only way to fight this
                              Nah. Just hack them, and brick them. If they fall out of the sky, and wreck every time they go up, they'll get too expensive to run. It's even technically a non-violent act, so that's amusing.
                              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Working...
                              X