Trump threatens Congress subsidies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump threatens Congress subsidies

"If a new HealthCare Bill is not approved quickly, BAILOUTS for Insurance Companies and BAILOUTS for Members of Congress will end very soon!" Trump tweeted Saturday.

Mick Mulvaney, the director of the Office of Management and Budget, told CNN’s Jake Tapper Sunday on State of the Union that he had spoken “at length about that exact issue” with President Trump Saturday.

“What he’s saying is, 'Look, if Obamacare is hurting people, and it is, then why shouldn’t it hurt insurance companies, and, more importantly, perhaps, for this discussion, members of Congress?” Mulvaney said. “There is a certain benefit that members of Congress get as part of an OPM decision from a couple of years ago, and I think the president is simply looking at this and going, ‘Is this fair?”

Health benefits for congressional staffers had been subsidized by the federal government before passage of the Affordable Care Act, and continued to be so as the OPM’s decision came before health plans for congressional staffers moved over to the Obamacare exchanges.

Although the original amendment putting members of Congress and their staffs onto the exchanges explicitly said employer reimbursements would continue, that language did not make it into the final Obamacare bill. The OPM’s ruling came as partisan divides over the law made passage of a legislative fix a daunting proposition.

Since the regulation came from the OPM, and not an act of Congress, the administration technically could revoke these benefits. But the memo would have to officially be rescinded by the director of the OPM.

The office currently has an acting director, Kathleen McGettigan, who is a holdover from the Obama administration. McGettigan is a career OPM employee who has worked for the OPM for 25 years.

Trump has nominated George Nesterczuk, who worked in the OPM during the Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush presidencies, to lead the office. Nesterczuk, also a member of the Trump transition team, has not yet been confirmed by the Senate.

“Currently OPM is headed by Obama appointee. She will have to revoke the memo. Or get fired.” Josh Blackman, an adjunct scholar at the libertarian Cato Institute, said on Twitter. “POTUS may need to install someone as head of OPM for purpose of rescinding memo.”
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

“Currently OPM is headed by Obama appointee. She will have to revoke the memo. Or get fired.” Josh Blackman, an adjunct scholar at the libertarian Cato Institute, said on Twitter. “POTUS may need to install someone as head of OPM for purpose of rescinding memo.”

LOL, If the memo is rescinded I predict the fastest removal of current active legislation in history....

Comment

Originally posted by Gargamel View Post

LOL, If the memo is rescinded I predict the fastest removal of current active legislation in history....
      Which means nothing will happen. Trump will back off for some reason and congress will keep fucking us while jerking each other off.

Of course I hope I am wrong.
      I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

OPM would literally have to stand against the president, get fired and Congress would have to be seen standing up for getting tax dollars to bail themselves out for an Obamacare exemption
        I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

even with my tinfoil hat on i still think trump knows exactly what he is doing. he controls the narrative. we talk about what he wants us to all while doing something in the background . if you read back on trump to the 70's and 80's you will find him doing the same thing .

Comment

Originally posted by bubbaearl View Post
            all while doing something in the background
            All indications are this. He's back there turning the wheels, while they scamper around.
            WH

Comment

Originally posted by bubbaearl View Post
              even with my tinfoil hat on i still think trump knows exactly what he is doing. he controls the narrative. we talk about what he wants us to all while doing something in the background . if you read back on trump to the 70's and 80's you will find him doing the same thing .
              Sorry man, but I truly believe the guy has absolutely no idea what he's doing in DC.

On the bright side:
              1. He's stumbling to the right so far
              2. He's driving the left insane
              3. He's proven to this voter that he is at least better than Hillary would have been. (It's a low bar, but still...)

Comment

Sorry man, but I truly believe the guy has absolutely no idea what he's doing in DC.

On the bright side:
                3. He's proven to this voter that he is at least better than Hillary would have been. (It's a low bar, but still...)
                But he is getting shit done, slowly but surely. Also, you notice he doesn't back off easily either, he comes back around with a different plan.
                Whos your Daddy?

Comment

On the bright side:
                  I hear you, an on the surface this seems true. Have you read "Art of the Deal"? You should, and after you will probably start to see less "crazy" and more craftiness in his actions. It is true this is how he has been doing things since the 80's. he is not a stupid person, nor crazy. Most of what he does is very calculated. Not saying I agree with everything he does or like his style. But it is far from "stumbling."
                  1965 Ford Falcon Pro-Touring Project
                  TCI F/R Suspension, 3V-4.6 & TR3560, LT III Wheels

sigpic
                  Work In Progress

Comment

On the bright side:
                    You gotta pay a lot closer attention. He had a plan long before he ever entered DC. It wouldn't surprise me to learn all the TV stuff was just to get him out in front of people more, in order to grow the ol cult of personality. Look closely, its all extremely calculated. Nobody you're describing ever turned millions into billions. The evidence is all there.
                    WH

Comment

Working...
                    X